ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach dies after hospitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fascinated by Mike Leach. The guy literally raised the profile of every place he went and was a winner. Even Miss State, which I would think would be hard to get talent to go to. Plenty of teams run the Air Raid, which Leach did, but Leach's system was fascinating. Coaches like Lane Kiffin have said it's amazing that he never evolved over the years. He never changed his system and still had success. If you watched Leach on the sidelines, he looked like he was calling plays from a sticky note. No big play cards, nothing.

I'm interested in different systems that coaches run and while I haven't done a lot of research, I believe I've read that Leach's system was very symplistic. He didn't have a lot of different plays, just ones that could be executed to perfection and tended to work well over and over. I suppose it comes down to space and no matter what, the defense can't cover it all.

I'm fascinated by Mike Leach. The guy literally raised the profile of every place he went and was a winner. Even Miss State, which I would think would be hard to get talent to go to. Plenty of teams run the Air Raid, which Leach did, but Leach's system was fascinating. Coaches like Lane Kiffin have said it's amazing that he never evolved over the years. He never changed his system and still had success. If you watched Leach on the sidelines, he looked like he was calling plays from a sticky note. No big play cards, nothing.

I'm interested in different systems that coaches run and while I haven't done a lot of research, I believe I've read that Leach's system was very symplistic. He didn't have a lot of different plays, just ones that could be executed to perfection and tended to work well over and over. I suppose it comes down to space and no matter what, the defense can't cover it all.

Leach was transformative for the sport. 1990's college football was basically pound the rock, punt for field position, and hope you win 16-13. I would argue that Leach and Spurrier were the two guys responsible for the way college football is played today. Leach's coaching tree is ridiculous.

I'm not sure we can say that about anyone else in college football right now (or over the last 20 years). We can point to a guy like Saban and all the success he had - but he's not really reinventing the wheel - he's just doing everything at an elite level. Saban's records will stand, but what impact has he had on the sport?

On top of that, Leach was fun. I've tuned into games at TTU,WSU, and Miss State that i'd otherwise have no interest in specifically because of Leach. His offense was fun, his personality was fun - this is an entertainment product, and there wasn't a guy who gave you more than Leach.

I bounced around some message boards, and I can't recall so many positive feelings about any other coach from so many different fan bases all over the country.

The entire sport will miss him.

I'm a HUGE Mike Leach fan. Have been. Will continue to be.

Leach's system (and the Air Raid in general) is a very simple system run to absolute perfection. I read in the last few days that Mike Leach wasn't shy about saying he only had 10 plays in his playbook.

While there's an elegant simplicity to the offense, there's a subtle complexity to it. Almost every play can be run out of every formation. You can run outside zone of 3x1 and 2x2 formations. You can run mesh out of 3x1 and 2x2 formations. So it can be HARDER to figure out formational tendencies. And, if you do, there's a tag to attack you.

In other words, if the safety starts to cheat a little bit on the dig (deep in), there's a "tag" to attack it. So it looks the same...until it isn't.

Most guys in the Air Raid family have added their own little twists and turns along the way, but the core principles of remained the same :

A relatively small amount of plays run to absolute perfection.

Leach was transformative for the sport. 1990's college football was basically pound the rock, punt for field position, and hope you win 16-13. I would argue that Leach and Spurrier were the two guys responsible for the way college football is played today. Leach's coaching tree is ridiculous.

I'm not sure we can say that about anyone else in college football right now (or over the last 20 years). We can point to a guy like Saban and all the success he had - but he's not really reinventing the wheel - he's just doing everything at an elite level. Saban's records will stand, but what impact has he had on the sport?

On top of that, Leach was fun. I've tuned into games at TTU,WSU, and Miss State that i'd otherwise have no interest in specifically because of Leach. His offense was fun, his personality was fun - this is an entertainment product, and there wasn't a guy who gave you more than Leach.

I bounced around some message boards, and I can't recall so many positive feelings about any other coach from so many different fan bases all over the country.

The entire sport will miss him.
Chris Brown (smartfootball on Twitter) had a great thread on Leach's impact on football.

And honestly, you can't tell the story & transformation of CFB over the last 20 years without Mike Leach. His impact and influence is seen across the sport and at every level of football.

Leach was a renegade. A maverick. Leach made football fun again.

And, as much I respect Saban for his accomplishments & leadership acumen, what Leach accomplished at places like TTU, WSU, and MSU is just as impressive. He won where you aren't supposed to win. He influenced others. He made the game better.

If you want to know more about who Mike Leach really was, well this will do the trick for you. Sail strong, Pirate. RIP

I always thought that one of the greatest and most memorable college football games, at least in my lifetime, was that incredible win by Texas Tech over Texas in Lubbock. IIRC, they were both Top 10, maybe even Top 5. It was something like Texas ranked 2 and Texas Tech ranked 7, I think.

Even before this past week, that game went down as one of the greats. After the events of this past week, it's gone to beyond legend.

What has that been now? 15 or 20 years ago??

Reactions: AustinLewis
I always thought that one of the greatest and most memorable college football games, at least in my lifetime, was that incredible win by Texas Tech over Texas in Lubbock. IIRC, they were both Top 10, maybe even Top 5. It was something like Texas ranked 2 and Texas Tech ranked 7, I think.

Even before this past week, that game went down as one of the greats. After the events of this past week, it's gone to beyond legend.

What has that been now? 15 or 20 years ago??
I was thinking maybe 12 years ago? That was the Michael Crabtree days with TT right? I remember that game being awesome. TT had been slowly building a legit program, not just one that scored 60 points a game.

I was thinking maybe 12 years ago? That was the Michael Crabtree days with TT right? I remember that game being awesome. TT had been slowly building a legit program, not just one that scored 60 points a game.
I think that game was 2009. Maybe 2008. It was forward the end of his tenure at TTU.

I think that game was 2009. Maybe 2008. It was forward the end of his tenure at TTU.
I think you are right. I remember thinking Leach finally put it all together and then soon thereafter his tenure was up at TT.

I think I have that game on DVD. I need to find that this weekend and watch it again.

I'm wondering if he brushed his teeth that morning. The stats are crazy on people who brush their teeth and have a heart attack. Kind of makes you rethink brushing your teeth.
So this guy was trying to link Leach’s death to the COVID vaccine?

So this guy was trying to link Leach’s death to the COVID vaccine?
It is more possible than brushing your teeth as some people do have reactions to vaccines. No vaccine is 100% safe regardless of what they say. There is always a chance for a negative reaction. I wouldn’t have said that and I think the chances are small that is the cause, but it definitely is a possibility.

I learned of Commotio cordis when my son played sports. Rare, but possible.

I hope this young man makes a complete recovery and he is in my family’s prayers.

When hank gathers collapsed on the court back in the 80s, it made a profound effect on a lot of athletes.

A buddy of mine, a former Memphis St student trainer and then for the Montreal Expos organization after college, knew exactly what happened last night and told us in a group text before it was even released.
He said the injury (commotio cordis) is more common in baseball.

Nah, his wife stressed him out to the point where he just wanted to die, or it could have been global warming, cooling, or climate change, or Trump murdered him, or those pesky Russians, but never the COVID vaccine.

It’s sad a post about Mike Leach got derailed by unsubstantiated or unrelated innuendo. It now should not be on the main board.

There is no such thing as “the COVID vaccine”. There are 11 worldwide and there are 4 different types. The USA has 4 different and 3 types.

Your posts have 2 logical fallacies, which you would know if you took the class while attending MT. You are using innuendo and straw man. Instead of addressing the actual question.

Is 1616 cardiac events worldwide in athletes in that age range more than per-COVID? The answer is no. For the 30 years pre-COVID, worldwide 990,000 to 1.27 million people age 15-49 died of cardiac issues. To reach 1616, that’s 0.16% of 1 million. Pre-COVID, data showed that athletes in the age range were at risk of sudden death at a rates 2.5 x higher than non-athletes and 90% of those were documented cardiac reasons.

Long story short, 1616 athletes in the age range 15-49 having a cardiac issue / sudden death across the world is actually, sadly a normal year.

BTW, sudden cardiac death has always been the leading cause of death in athletes.

If one of the vaccines caused it, provide actual data. Not innuendo or suggest causation without data.

I don't understand the uproar any time someone doesn't toe the line and think the covid vax is some sort of miracle cure. I work in the medical field and have questions about it and am not completely sold on it. if you aren't allowed to question the science, then it becomes propoganda. Every single ad on TV encouraging people to get their 15th booster is sponsored by the companies profiting from the boosters. That alone should make most folks at least go "Hmmmm......".

There is no such thing as “the COVID vaccine”.
On the CDC website:

Find COVID-19 vaccines and boosters near you.

You should contact the CDC and tell them that there is no such thing as “the COVID vaccine”.

I don't understand the uproar any time someone doesn't toe the line and think the covid vax is some sort of miracle cure. I work in the medical field and have questions about it and am not completely sold on it. if you aren't allowed to question the science, then it becomes propoganda. Every single ad on TV encouraging people to get their 15th booster is sponsored by the companies profiting from the boosters. That alone should make most folks at least go "Hmmmm......".

I don’t mind actual discussions about vaccine safety. Actually it should be encouraged. The problem is, this isn’t experiment. It’s innuendo.

What actual evidence is there to link Mike Leach’s death to any specific drug? Could any medicine have contributed? Where’s the evidence.

Good science is always testable by experiment.

What’s the experiment here? Lynn a report that tried to link 1616 athlete cardiac events to COVID vaccine.

Ok, let’s question that. Did these people all have a COVID vaccine?

Did all them have the same vaccine?

Did they all have the same underlying pathology?

Did all of them have their cardiac event at the same time range post vaccine?

Does the occurrence of sudden cardiac events in athletes around the world change in the age range compared to before COVID? No.

Was cardiac arrest the leading cause of death in sudden death of athletes prior to Covid in the 15-49 age group? Yes

So where is actual data that any of the Covid vaccines contributed to all of these events? If you can’t show that, you shouldn’t suggest the link. That’s not science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT