ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs SFA, 7PM, Thursday, November 9, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 11,327
Arena: William R. Johnson Coliseum (7,203)
Conference: WAC
Colors: Purple & White Nickname: Lumberjacks
Series: Tied 1-1
Head Coach: Kyle Keller Record at School: 145-69 (8th Season) Career: 145-69 (8th Season)
2022-23 Record: 19-13, 11-7
2022-23 Finish: 5th WAC
2022-23 Postseason: WAC First Round
Record at School: 145-69 (8th Season)
Career Record: 145-69 (8th Season)
Starters R/L: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 7/5

11/9/2023 | 7 PM

Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1
WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Last edited:
excerpt from a season preview:

To most basketball programs, a 19-13 (11-7 in league play) campaign would hardly qualify as a down year. But for Stephen F. Austin, which has won 20 or more games 12 times in the past 16 years, it feels like a slight letdown. First Danny Kaspar, then Brad Underwood, and now Kyle Keller have all maintained a standard of excellence in Nacogdoches.

Of course, the Lumberjacks likely win 20 games last year were it not for the injury bug. The rotation was a revolving door of minor injuries, forcing Keller to use 13 different starting lineups throughout the year. SFA usually had 7-8 capable players, but it was almost never the same group from game-to-game.

“It was probably the most unique season we’ve ever had since I’ve been here,” explained Keller.
“We are very deep. I don’t know each night who is gonna be our best player. This has a chance to be one of our really special teams that we’ve had here. We’ve had three or four really good teams, 25 and above wins … our schedule is really hard, so the record might not be the same, but we have a chance to be really, really good.”

SFA returns plenty of production and added multiple contributors during the offseason. A return to the 20-win club appears likely.

This will be another good test for our team. We should win but I don’t think it will be easy.

Something else I’ve noticed is Cam Weston is careless with the ball A LOT. When NKU was coming back last night he looked so out of touch with what was happening. He had a couple of turnovers that I felt were feeding the comeback. I’ve thought that for a couple of seasons but I worry his carelessness will cost us some games this season. He needs to protect the ball more.

This will be another good test for our team. We should win but I don’t think it will be easy.

Something else I’ve noticed is Cam Weston is careless with the ball A LOT. When NKU was coming back last night he looked so out of touch with what was happening. He had a couple of turnovers that I felt were feeding the comeback. I’ve thought that for a couple of seasons but I worry his carelessness will cost us some games this season. He needs to protect the ball more.
Box Score says he only had 1 turnover. I do think he plays a little bit too loose sometimes, but that is just part of his game. Coleman-Jones, however, had 5 turnovers. That was very concerning for me given how we run our offense. He seemed to be very reckless and at times lazy last night. His crazy aggressiveness did contribute to a strong rebounding game, but the turnovers simply can't happen

I watched most of the first half but retired early around 8:30 after it appeared the Blue Raiders had the game pretty well in hand. Nice for something positive to happen for a change.

Stephen F Austin will not be an easy out but it's a game we should win. Here are a few notes below from the CBB College Almanac:

FROM THE COACH

“We are very deep. I don’t know each night who is gonna be our best player. This has a chance to be one of our really special teams that we’ve had here. We’ve had three or four really good teams, 25 and above wins … our schedule is really hard, so the record might not be the same, but we have a chance to be really, really good.”
—Kyle Keller

--SFA’s identity has been unmistakable through Keller’s tenure. The Lumberjacks lean all the way into their biggest strengths: pressure defense to force as many turnovers as possible, and an all-out rim assault offensively via drives and offensive rebounds. Nothing will change there this year.

--“We’ll continue with the Press U moniker,” revealed Keller. “A perfect defensive possession for us is where the ball never gets passed. We don’t want other teams to run the offense they’ve been practicing for months.”

AJ Cajuste will spearhead this pressure; the 6-1 former JUCO transfer ranked in the top 150 nationally in steal rate last year thanks to his terrific anticipation. He’ll get help from a new JUCO addition, Kamahri Wilson, who racked up a ridiculous 3.7 steals per game at Triton College. (That sound you just heard is the exasperated sigh of SFA’s opposing point guards.)

The wing rotation features a couple lanky nightmares, as well. Kyle Hayman, a 6-5 wing who hailed from Hinds CC, fit snugly into Keller’s scheme right away in 2022-23. Utah Tech transfer Frank Staine offers similar versatility and defensive instincts, Chrishawn Christmas adds a festive name and a feisty presence, and D2 newcomer Myles Jenkins is another long option around the arc.

--Given the strength of the returning nucleus and the savvy transfer additions, Stephen F. Austin looks the part of a contender. Cajuste and Jossell form an incendiary backcourt, the interior is stout, and the Lumberjacks’ frenetic pressure will surely axe its fair share of foes.

Box Score says he only had 1 turnover. I do think he plays a little bit too loose sometimes, but that is just part of his game. Coleman-Jones, however, had 5 turnovers. That was very concerning for me given how we run our offense. He seemed to be very reckless and at times lazy last night. His crazy aggressiveness did contribute to a strong rebounding game, but the turnovers simply can't happen
Maybe they were just close. Seemed like every possession in the second half he was careless. He is a good player so if he would just tighten that up I think he could be great.

Also, welcome to the board!

Pomeroy moved the Blue Raiders from 151 to 124 with their 1st win. 27 spot jump, I'll take it.

Stephen F. Austin was picked 2nd in the WAC coaches poll (worth considering 1st was Grand Canyon, who EVERYONE likes as one of the best MMs in the country this year). The Almanac has them the same.

SFA is far from an average joe mid-major. Made their first tournament in 09, but then made 4 out of 5 from 2014 to 2018. Have not made one since but still getting 20 or more wins a season on a regular basis.

Lumberjacks return 4 of their top 6 scorers. Got a couple of transfers from other WAC programs (can you smell collusion?) and some JuCos as well. Their leading scorer Monday night was one of the JuCo transfers, Kimahri Wilson.

This is the third consecutive November MTSU and SFA have played. 2021 was a Lumberjack win 87-74 in Nacogdoches, TX. 2022 was a 75-63 Blue Raider victory in the Northern Classic. Two pretty different games. As you can tell by the final score, MTSU’s defense performed much better in the 2022 matchup.

A stat that does align within both games is a predictable one: 19 and 22 turnovers respectively. Have to give serious credit to SFA as well though: they have astoundingly finished top 10 in opponent TO% four straight seasons now. Like MT, SFA is well known as a major pressure defense team. Only 11 turnovers in Middle’s game against NKU Monday night, despite the Norse being decent in forcing TOs the last two seasons themselves. Will be curious to see if the Blue Raiders have truly improved in that regard.

As we all know, the first half Monday night for the Blue Raiders was a ton of fun. The sluggish second half doesn’t worry me too much, as I just think it was natural to subconsciously let off the gas no matter how much you’re trying to convince yourself not to. 17-point win as only a 4.5 favorite against a Horizon League favorite is a very good win no matter how you slice it.

What does concern me is buying too much into a one game sample size. Remember the third game of the season last year and Middle obliterated Rice 81-46? The rest of the season wasn’t awful, but it was certainly the last time they looked that dominant. Spread tonight stands at MT -2.5, it would be great if they won by 12 or more to keep the hype train on an incline.

Should be a hell of game. I'll be surprised if we win. I really want us to win, and I bet us to win....ever since McDevitt has been our coach when I bet on our guys in an OOC match up early in the season, they lose. It literally never fails. You can blame me after the game. It'll definitely be a loss if our guys are resting on their laurels and thinking things will be easy after the big first half against NKU.

In previous seasons under McDevitt, these were the exact type of games we usually lost. Hoping and praying this year is different. It needs to be different. We need to win all of these early season OOC games against weaker/equal competition. I'd say SFA is close to an equal (shouldn't be when you look at budgets) in basketball even though I don't think they should be. We should be winning this game, especially at home. Shouldn't be any excuses for a loss here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
pretty pathetic performance so far. We are lucky to have 15 points to be honest, Cam out there banking in fade away 3 pointers which is pure luck.

We are going to get blown out. This team is physically imposing it's will and we have zero answer. None.

Looking very soft and getting punked in our home gym.

Looks just like last years team. Can't score when the buckets get hard.

Looks like another typical McDevitt team. Terrible shooting against good teams, can't hit free throws, can't deal with physicality, Weston out of control turning it over giving the game away trying to play hero ball.

Nothing's changed. Literally nothing.

Another year, another mediocre basketball team.

Still think they have another run in them and will make it close. Win or lose, a very concerning half.

The offense looks like it’s completely dependent on the defense. When SFA scores and it forces MT to play halfcourt offense… it’s hard to verbalize how bad it looked.

We don't have anyone who can shoot the damn ball. Weston and Coleman Jones are turnover machines.
I would guess about a thousand in attendance.

When SFA scores and it forces MT to play halfcourt offense… it’s hard to verbalize how bad it looked.

What can they do? They look physically dominated. SFA plays bigger, stronger, faster, and knows how to actually put the ball in the basket.

We don't have anyone who can shoot the damn ball.

Shocker. McDevitt prioritizing athleticism over the most important aspect of the game (putting the ball in the basket) ?? No way!

I watched them warm up for the second half. They couldn't hit anything with no one on them. Pitiful.

I don’t think shooting is the issue. There were hardly even any catch and shoot opportunities the final ten minutes.

I am not sure the team really understood what sets to run on offense. SFA would take away the first option and every MT player would just stop moving. Weston and Porter would just freelance and dribble into a bad shot or a turnover.

The long term problem I see is JCJ trying to play the Dishman role and he doesn’t have the decision making prowess Dish did. Him running the offense at the elbow has been a nightmare so far. MTSU has 24 turnovers on the year so far. He has eight of them.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
We won't beat a single team that can play us straight up. Our guys just can't get it done when they're not physically and athletically superior to their opponent.

We only have two offensive threats. King and Bufford. The rest you can leave for wide open shots and never have to worry. We look so lost just standing around, terrible shot selections, can't even make free throws. I mean what the hell. We could collectively probably shoot better FT's than these guys

We won't beat a single team that can play us straight up. Our guys just can't get it done when they're not physically and athletically superior to their opponent.

We only have two offensive threats. King and Bufford. The rest you can leave for wide open shots and never have to worry. We look so lost just standing around, terrible shot selections, can't even make free throws. I mean what the hell. We could collectively probably shoot better FT's than these guys
It is the second game.

Weston hurt and out right now. Tied at 31. 15:40 left. Just tuned in and didn't see what happened to him.

#23 is big but slow and can't jump or shoot. Why is he on the team.

Looks like the coaches took a gamble on him. He was @ Iowa and it's hard to find size like that. I'm sure they assumed he had to have some talent to have signed with Iowa.

Perhaps they believe they can develop him into something. I'm in agreement with you though, he is slow and can't jump or shoot. Looks like a bust to me.

Just too many free easy shots down low for them. We have given them so many easys and gotten zero on the other end. You simply cannot win games with that going on. Not to mention all the other problems we have.

I'm surprised this game is as close as it is. SFA should be winning by double digits.

And McDevitt's 5th year here and nothing has changed. Another athletic team that can outjump the opponent but can't score or even hit FT's.
It is his 6th year here and went from being 24-62 his first 3 to 45-25 his next two, so I would say things have changed. This game is ugly, but this is a good team that will win 20+ games. We had bad FT shooting and ugly defensive games under Kermit too.

SFA is just playing much more physical on defense than we are.

But I will never ever ever understand missing free throws. We are under 60% while SFA is almost 88%. That's the current 3pt difference right there with 6min + left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT