ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs SFA, 7PM, Thursday, November 9, 2023

I see that hero ball still reigns supreme under McDevitts tutelage.

Totally different game and team since Weston stopped playing.

I hate to pick on him or call him out, but his selfish, careless playstyle just isn't gonna cut it. I don't care how athletic or how many circus shots he can pull off....if I'm coach he is sitting on the bench until he learns to play within the offense and play like a normal guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
We've made our last 6 consecutive free throws (maybe more) and put this game out of reach for SFA.

I gotta say, this team made the shots when it mattered.

I really hope there is some serious internal discussion amongst the coaching staff regarding Weston for our team. earlier in his career when he was at his best for us, he was coming off the bench and looking like a 6th man of the year type of guy. Maybe it's time to revisit that and really reign him in on the turnovers and selfishness.

This is a huge win. SFA is a good team that I feel we traditionally would have lost to (especially if this was played on the road). We've been nearly impossible to beat at home, and that continues. This win and the NKU win are huge. If we can keep rolling off the OOC wins we put ourselves in a great chance for some at-large bids to post season tournaments incase CUSA tourney goes bad. It's also great for our conference to pick up these OOC W's. Hopefully others can do the same and not ruin our conference ranking.

Last edited:
only team to win the cusa/wac challenge game tonight. FIU and SHSU both loss.

only team to win the cusa/wac challenge game tonight. FIU and SHSU both loss.

I cashed a big ticket on Tarleton State +5 @ FIU

I knew those losers would shame our conference. They lose games in all sports like it's their job.

• Haha
Reactions: mtfblue
Just was watching St. Mary’s vs New Mexico on ESPN+ and I really hope they fix their broadcasting before we play them. Can’t hear commentary and they had a camera show the battery is low warning. Ours looks like the NBA finals compared to that.

Just too many free easy shots down low for them. We have given them so many easys and gotten zero on the other end. You simply cannot win games with that going on. Not to mention all the other problems we have.

I'm surprised this game is as close as it is. SFA should be winning by double digits.
I thought you checked out in the first half. Were you there??? It was a gutsy performance for our guys against a really good team...and WE WON!!!!!!!

There actually wasn't much different after Weston went out. This team just got lucky tonight. No one was moving on offense. The ball wasn't either. I bet on at least 3/4 of the second half possessions only one player (usually Porter) had touched the ball when there were less than 15 sec on the shot clock. A lot of dribble and chucking. Very lucky to win that game.

That game might as well have been played on the asphalt at the Y.

At least they play defense now. But this CNM ball club. Five years of hoping you out athlete the other team in the end.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
There actually wasn't much different after Weston went out. This team just got lucky tonight. No one was moving on offense. The ball wasn't either. I bet on at least 3/4 of the second half possessions only one player (usually Porter) had touched the ball when there were less than 15 sec on the shot clock. A lot of dribble and chucking. Very lucky to win that game.

That game might as well have been played on the asphalt at the Y.

At least they play defense now. But this CNM ball club. Five years of hoping you out athlete the other team in the end.
Bad take. A team doesnt win in OT based on luck.

It was a lot more active when we were playing bad. Definitely in brand for this board.
I'm very much a post to complain kind of person and not a roorah kinda guy. Same with product reviews. I'll post a bad one but don't bother if it's good. I guess it comes from how I work. I want someone to tell me I'm not doing my job right. If I am, shut up and leave me be.

Reactions: crposton
Just catching up. This thread is hilarious
Equal parts hilarious & sad. Whether football or basketball, you could go back multiple years for some people and cut & paste their remarks once we get behind or face early adversity. It’s fortunate our players don’t throw in the towel after the first 10-15 minutes. Tonight being a prime example.

Bad takes are common here. Just read the posts for this game alone.

You are a clown if you don't think the negative/bad posts about our team were warranted. Tell me they weren't.....

And I stand by everything I said, win or lose. SFA simply ran out of gas and we were able to hold on for dear life and steal it at the end. You know damn well it was a bad, ugly, and possibly even lucky win...and you also know if we keep playing like that, we won't win many more games, ESPECIALLY when we start the road games.

McDevitt teams are notoriously poor on the road and get easily overwhelmed and flustered with just a little opposing fan noise. That would have been a double digit loss if the game was played in their gym.

Porter on post game interview said they couldn't run their normal offense tonight due to SFA defensive style. Had to throw a new approach in the 2 days since last game.

Reactions: OliverLBaltz
The most frustrating win I can remember. I will def take it. They both are so sloppy offensively and so active defensively. Almost felt like who would lose the game down the stretch more so than who would win it.

I’ve been on the Weston wagon since day 1 but maybe it is time to concede alittle bit. He does kinda play a game where he’s the system instead of trying to be a part of the system, word to James Harden’s recent quote. I still think there is use for players like that, but it’s usually as a 6th man which is prolly why he was so effective in 2022.

MT still needs him to win the league imo, even if his role has to shrink a little. Really hope he is healthy. You hear his interviews, you can tell he’s a good kid and means well.

Proud of Elias for playing out of his comfort zone on some of those shots. Just simply doing what he had to do to get the W. Think about how long a way he’s come since landing in Murfreesboro.

Did not expect Jacob Johnson to be the most impactful newcomer but here we are. Kid is the attack the rim threat they needed so desperately last year. I’d expect him to start as long as Weston is out. Maybe beyond.

Watched replay. A lot of good, & some bad. However I think a large part of the bad was due to SFA being one of the best defensive teams we'll play all year. And to be that good defensively you have to be really athletic. Promise you SFA will win +20 games this year. MT needed this challenge, & yes I'm glad it was at home. For our part we stared an equally talented team in the face, & took their best shot. Like how when the game was on the line we turned a bad free throw shooting night around towards the end. Coleman-Jones was a 58% FT shooter, he went 5-6 when he had to man up at the stripe. The only concern is our point guard. As pointed out Weston has to be more under control, sloppiness has to end. Porter played under control, but looked to shoot before looking to pass too often. If he continues playing in the #1 spot he needs to change his mentality of playing as a #2 guard, & looking for his shot 1st. One thing you can't spite is the guys played great defense tonight. We may have had some luck, but also it was a great effort from a team that refused to give up. For everything MT overcame tonight this game will only make them better.

You are a clown if you don't think the negative/bad posts about our team were warranted. Tell me they weren't.....

And I stand by everything I said, win or lose. SFA simply ran out of gas and we were able to hold on for dear life and steal it at the end. You know damn well it was a bad, ugly, and possibly even lucky win...and you also know if we keep playing like that, we won't win many more games, ESPECIALLY when we start the road games.

McDevitt teams are notoriously poor on the road and get easily overwhelmed and flustered with just a little opposing fan noise. That would have been a double digit loss if the game was played in their gym.
We won. I am not the guy screaming the sky is falling during the first half of the second game. We have had two games against two good opponents. One where it came easy and the other where we had to grind it out. Glad to see we can win both ways, but still a long way to go.

Porter is good at setting the pace but he’s never gonna be a pass first guy. Just not how he approaches the game. Probably why Weston gets the leash he does being the only natural playmaker.

Last edited:
It was indeed an ugly game, I mark it up to the tough SFA defense, not overly concerned at this point. They found a way to get the win. There's always an ugly game or two each season. I want to see two halves like the first half with NKU, not the other three halves I've witnessed so far. I too thought and said at the point that Weston finally got up and walked down the tunnel, we might be better off this particular game without the no pass possessions that was making me unhappy the first part of the game, though there was still too much of it afterward.

Anyway I am just happy to have basketball, men and women, games to go to. Damn sight better and more enjoyable than the garbage on display in Floyd and other CUSA venues Stockstill and squad visit.

Last edited:
With 10 minutes left Washington leads Northern Kentucky 60 - 52. NKU kept it close all game to this point

Reactions: SpaceRaider

I got to watch the game start to finish. Was it ugly at times? Absolutely. But.. keep in mind this is game #2. There is certainly room for growth, but this is a game we probably don’t win in recent years. This team had an offensive off night and found a way. They found a way. Simple as that. That’s something that we haven’t been able to say about recent teams. Tonight will be a learning moment for all, and hopefully they can keep it rolling and have better offensive night on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT