ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs ODU, 6PM, Thursday, February 10, 2022

Both teams played an extra game already this week as ODU lost on the road at FAU 81-62 last night.. with MT's depth that is a huge advantage as ODU logs the vast majority of their minutes with their starting 5... with the extra game and decreased time between games I was thinking that King/Weston would play more minutes to decrease the minutes for some of the guards this week.. time will tell if that's true

MT really played down to UTSA on Monday- they knew they were better at every position and gambled on almost every possession leading to a ton of points in the paint for the Roadrunners.. need to find some maturity and focus down this stretch of conference games- can't go for the home run plays every time and this team is trending in a bad way defensively in the half court.. clean that up and take care of business at home.

Go here for Pre-game Show info…..,

19317173756_38a698653e_h.jpg

I think ODU will come to play tonight and try to make this a sloppy game. We need to hit our shots and not let this be a dangerous, low scoring game. Need to push the pace on these guys and run them outta the gym. Magic number is 70 I think we win if we get more than that

Dangerous game imo. Don't have a good feeling about this one.

I think ODU will come to play tonight and try to make this a sloppy game. We need to hit our shots and not let this be a dangerous, low scoring game. Need to push the pace on these guys and run them outta the gym. Magic number is 70 I think we win if we get more than that

Dangerous game imo. Don't have a good feeling about this one.
Agreed. Dunno why but this feels like trap game.

I hardly ever see MT get a 50-50 foul call.. Just me? My goodness- Weston barely grazes the guy on the outer arm and it’s a charge, Trice winds up and swings at a rebound- no call.. craziness..

Games going about like I expected it. Low scoring, sloppy basketball. ODU gonna try to keep it close and steal it at the end.

I'll be surprised if we win this one

Games going about like I expected it. Low scoring, sloppy basketball. ODU gonna try to keep it close and steal it at the end.

I'll be surprised if we win this one
Still go like you expected?

Sad thing is if this team was focused and made layups it’s a 30+ point differential

Reactions: blueraiderJT
60's is about where I thought we would be but I thought ODU would get something closer to their season average since we've been terrible defensively. Our defense has been awful lately and wasn't that much better tonight but they just couldn't hit anything despite many good looks, especially in the 2nd half. They just went ice cold in the second half. We did force 16 turnovers which, when combined with their poor shooting effort, makes it basically impossible for them to win.

Thought King might get some more PT towards the end but not much for him tonight. Such a shame that such a highly rated player can't get it figured out. I think we have to start asking ourselves if he's even worth keeping on scholarship at this point? Do you give him more time or just move on and get a proven transfer?

I'll be the first to admit not me.

And to think there is a scenario where we win the East. 2nd round is always tougher though. FAU split with WKU, who hasn't lost since we beat them.

I much prefer this feeling over the last few years.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Nick has done well this season but I have a feeling we will be an early exit in the conference tournament. Anyways, it’s been a lot of fun to watch and hopefully he has turned the page.

Happy to be wrong here.

As we beat FAU, we would be technically 1st in the East currently, correct?

This team is both fun and frustrating to watch. We can go thru unbelievably good runs and then go thru some terrible runs. Fortunately the runs have come at good times during most games. Seems like the guys are having fun.

It was great to see students so active at the game last night and they were giving ODU big man Austin Trice hell all night. As a side note, ODU coach Jones about lost his mind when Lenard hit a 3 right in front of him in the 1st half and appeared to blow Jones a kiss.

Happy to be wrong here.

As we beat FAU, we would be technically 1st in the East currently, correct?
Yes- technically MT is ahead of FAU (winning %) but 3-4 teams all in striking distance for the East 1 seed.. still have 8 games remaining and in particular FAU on the road where they've been tough to beat and the Owls only have 6 games remaining with no more than 2 games each week.. luckily MT's next makeup game (& UTEP has been on a roll) is after the FAU matchup; MT has the Charlotte home & away games and WKU at home.. need to finish strong and keep momentum rolling into conference tourney regardless..

I would think that Mcdevitt is the frontrunner for COY in the conference. Kind of crazy to think about.
I'd imagine that's true..

I've always found it ironic that when a team is picked to finish poorly in preseason polls that the same voters (who were clearly wrong) at the end of the year reward their own mistake by giving that coach an award for doing their job...

It's amazing he started the year 24-62 (.279) and there are actually scenarios to bring that to .500 by the end of next season. Currently sitting at 40-69 (.367).

I'm not sold we have crossed over. We need this to not be a flash in the pan year. But I admit, I'm impressed.

Couldn't be more surprised or happy with where we are but (you know there's always a but) I am concerned with just how good a program can be playing this style of 5 out offense. (admittedly I'm a big fan of pound it inside play). Our two posts are either wafer-thin or short and I'm not sure Coleman-Jones will be the answer next year and we've no commits or signee "bigs". Just see a real problem against any team with true post presence.

And to beat a dead horse one more time:
I went to GoBlueRaiders.com to listen to the post-game after watching on the +, got the commercial but nothing but dead air after that then had to waste time going to 94.9 to listen.
If anybody in Murphy Center reads this forum or looks at social media they know this is a continual problem.
Again, do they care?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm not sold we have crossed over. We need this to not be a flash in the pan year. But I admit, I'm impressed.

Probably not a flash in the pan. It's always been a little head scratching why we were so bad his first three years. I guess we just didn't have very good players. Nick seemed to be recruiting for stars and throwing a hodge podge of players together that just didn't gel. I feel like our teams just didn't have good chemistry his first three years. Poor leadership, and no identity. We didn't really ever have much of a bench either and always seemed to be playing with only 7-8 capable players. Now we can go 10+ deep at times (when healthy) and having that depth is huge especially as the season rages on.

Again I don't think it's a flash in the pan but this is where it get's hard. I'm especially worried about NIL and the transfer stuff creeping into basketball and hurting a school like ours. We have such poor support from a financial perspective and I fear NIL deals could really hurt us in the future

Couldn't be more surprised or happy with where we are but (you know there's always a but) I am concerned with just how good a program can be playing this style of 5 out offense. (admittedly I'm a big fan of pound it inside play). Our two posts are either wafer-thin or short and I'm not sure Coleman-Jones will be the answer next year and we've no commits or signee "bigs". Just see a real problem against any team with true post presence.

And to beat a dead horse one more time:
I went to GoBlueRaiders.com to listen to the post-game after watching on the +, got the commercial but nothing but dead air after that then had to waste time going to 94.9 to listen.
If anybody in Murphy Center reads this forum or looks at social media they know this is a continual problem.
Again, do they care?
I think Coleman-Jones will do fine next year. Looking at our league I don't see our posts as much different than the majority of other teams. Not very many have multiple 6'9" 240 lb. guys. It is not like Nick isn't trying. Coleman-Jones is 6'10 240 and Turner was 6'9 240. One gets hurt and one doesn't work out and leaves the team. We are doing fairly well with what we have. I don't see as much 5 out play if Coleman-Jones was healthy and on the floor. Best post player in the league is Kenneth Lofton Jr. who is 6'7" 275 lbs. Reggie and Jacorey were not that tall of posts and we did just fine with them. I think Nick will have to bring in some more forwards, but I don't think we are going to see much back to the basket post play and that is fine. As long as we win I don't care.

I don't expect us to win the tournament (although anything is possible of we hit a streak at the right time). But I just want us to not be one and done in the tournament. Unless NT flops the next few games, they will be regular Champs. I want this reg season to mean more than a one and done. Keep the building going.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT