ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs #13 (FCS) Monmouth, 6PM, Saturday, September 4, 2021

This is a good win. We won big against a FCS school with seemingly a lot of hype, but I just can't stand the fact we haven't had a decent run game since 2016.

The biggest disappointment is that the offensive line has sucked for years and I did not see any improvement there. The only holes they were opening up were for Monmouth defensive line and LBs. F'n weak.

Otherwise, a win, Hard to take much from it. It will also be hard to make an assessment of where this team is next weekend as well. Looks like CUSA is much stronger across the board. Raiders could be improved and still not show up any better in Ws and Ls at the end of the season.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
What's more impressive about our D is that our 2 starting cornerbacks (Riley and Jackson) did not play. Presumably due to Covid.

I posted, earlier in the week, that I thought we were giving Monmouth too much credit. Still, I'm happy with the results. 50-15 is good, regardless of who the opponent is.

However, my favorite moment in the game was when the referee stopped play to admonish the idiot that was controlling the music. Between the music, commercials on the video board, and our PA announcer, I've never seen another stadium with a press box that's so unaware of what's happening on the field.

I posted, earlier in the week, that I thought we were giving Monmouth too much credit. Still, I'm happy with the results. 50-15 is good, regardless of who the opponent is.

However, my favorite moment in the game was when the referee stopped play to admonish the idiot that was controlling the music. Between the music, commercials on the video board, and our PA announcer, I've never seen another stadium with a press box that's so unaware of what's happening on the field.
I said this as I was sitting up in 2hh among a sea of aluminum. They have destroyed any type of gameday experience that we used to have. It's so sad what they have done. No food options on one half of the stadium. You have to literally walk the entire stadium to even get something besides a hotdog. No MT gear. anywhere. Nothing. We walked in there with 40 minutes to kickoff and it was like a funeral home. That's the saddest part because the players gave a great effort. My question is if the admin doesn't care, why should anyone else?

So, What I took from that after game presser was that the D has a chip on their shoulder and they weren't happy about last night' performance. Ferg kept saying that the D line didn't do a good job on 1st and 3rd downs and that they are going to work hard this week on that. The DB Teldrick who got he pick 6 said the same thing. I really like their attitude. They know what's up and will continue to improve. Baliey is a good QB. Is he Brent? No. But can he make good decisions, manage the game and captilize when he has to? Yes. No turnovers for the first game is huge. I don't care who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
Scratching my head. I fully expected MT to lose this game. Stock has seemed to struggle against so many fcs teams that had a pulse. Remember when MT had to schedule the worst teams in fcs for home openers just to have a shot to win?

MT did sort of look like a different team especially with plays on defense and special teams. While offense wasn't horrible, I still never got the feeling that MT could establish any consistency especially with the run. I did like the overall changes I saw with the new OC......at least after one game vs a fcs team.

This unexpected result has me wondering, was TF a cancer on the entire team? The team just looked different in the way they carried themselves, eg body language, attitude, etc.

Regardless of the win, the absolutely pathetic attendance for a home opener exposed for all to see the horrendous state of MT athletics. Covid couldn't hide any longer the rot at the core of MT athletics leadership. Contrast MT with games all over the country this weekend, the public revealed just how eager, excited, and happy they were to return to college football stadiums.

Scratching my head. I fully expected MT to lose this game. Stock has seemed to struggle against so many fcs teams that had a pulse. Remember when MT had to schedule the worst teams in fcs for home openers just to have a shot to win?

MT did sort of look like a different team especially with plays on defense and special teams. While offense wasn't horrible, I still never got the feeling that MT could establish any consistency especially with the run. I did like the overall changes I saw with the new OC......at least after one game vs a fcs team.

This unexpected result has me wondering, was TF a cancer on the entire team? The team just looked different in the way they carried themselves, eg body language, attitude, etc.

Regardless of the win, the absolutely pathetic attendance for a home opener exposed for all to see the horrendous state of MT athletics. Covid couldn't hide any longer the rot at the core of MT athletics leadership. Contrast MT with games all over the country this weekend, the public revealed just how eager, excited, and happy they were to return to college football stadiums.
wTF was indeed a cancer. Toxicity kills everything. Positivity lifts up everything. The attitude is different and the vibe is way better.

Monmouth is the highest ranked FCS team we have played since we have been d-1 I believe. They were #12 and just came off of 2 straight playoff appeatances. I don't know about being given too much credit. They are a good team. What we did was finally act like a d-1 (FBS) team and handle business. We got a long way to go and we have to improve a lot but I liked that performance.

Jacksonville st. was ranked no. 10 and UAB put 31 on them.They struggled most of the first half as well. WKU struggled with Martin and then turned on the jets. We had a similar performance which says a lot. I think we'll be ok.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
The doom and gloom referred to earlier and leading up to this season opener was well earned by this HC and the AD. I will acknowledge a good comeback yesterday and the takeaway margin for the defense to turn the momentum around in the first half. Let’s see what happens these next 3 games before we start gushing and taking shots at those of us who are unhappy with the current state of affairs with FB and Men’s BB.

The doom and gloom referred to earlier and leading up to this season opener was well earned by this HC and the AD. I will acknowledge a good comeback yesterday and the takeaway margin for the defense to turn the momentum around in the first half. Let’s see what happens these next 3 games before we start gushing and taking shots at those of us who are unhappy with the current state of affairs with FB and Men’s BB.
We get it. Just saying that this is a different team. Is everything all better and there aren't any issues? Hell no. However, I got to find the silver lining when I can and last night provided a lot. Were we clean? Not at all. Did we improve and handle business? Yup. We would not have won this game last year or in 19. So if this is gushing, then whatever. I'm a fan who is trying not to complain every post. I have my issues with MT. Believe me on that. But these kids are bringing a great attitude and they played well last night. I'll take that all day.

Jacksonville st. was ranked no. 10 and UAB put 31 on them.They struggled most of the first half as well. WKU struggled with Martin and then turned on the jets. We had a similar performance which says a lot. I think we'll be ok.
Great point and I planned on bringing this exact point up but you beat me to the punch. At the end of the day the difference between FBS and FCS is depth (similar to G5 vs P5) so I expect hard fought first halves but a FBS team should wear down a FCS over the course of 4 Qtrs and MT did that and more. Really poured it on and if we weren't showing sportsmanship we could have added another TD (which is fine with me). UAB struggled with Jj-ville in the 1st half like MT with Monmouth but coaches made changes and we really dialed in the offense. Hopefully it doesn't take this long on the next game.

Sad when a school like this drives the ball down our throat. We are a team of nice guys. I want some crazy mean guys that are head bangers on the field. I miss the old days.
Officially the stat line for Monmouth rushing was 38 attempts for 88 years or 2.3 yards per attempt. UGA gave up 4.5 against Clemson, granted it's not Monmouth but 2.3 is pretty darn good.

We can't run the ball. We can't stop the run. Same ole, same ole.......
Fair, we were 33 for 112 yards or 3.4 yards per carry. Always want to see 4+ yards per carry but sometimes an opposing team commits to shutting down an aspect of the game and force you to beat them through the air which MT did at 9.5 yards per pass. It's possible we are anemic on the run but it will take a few games to figure out if it's a run problem or just a well designed defense.

The biggest disappointment is that the offensive line has sucked for years and I did not see any improvement there. The only holes they were opening up were for Monmouth defensive line and LBs. F'n weak.
One of my biggest issues with the Stock is his refusal to address the OL and DL coaching issue. Mallory on OL and West on DL either : 1) aren’t getting the job done; 2) poor evaluation & recruiting; 3) both.

I said this as I was sitting up in 2hh among a sea of aluminum. They have destroyed any type of gameday experience that we used to have. It's so sad what they have done. No food options on one half of the stadium. You have to literally walk the entire stadium to even get something besides a hotdog. No MT gear. anywhere. Nothing. We walked in there with 40 minutes to kickoff and it was like a funeral home. That's the saddest part because the players gave a great effort. My question is if the admin doesn't care, why should anyone else?
Be glad you had plenty of room to spread out. Meanwhile over to the west, things getting crazy in the visitors end zone. 😂😂

Link: Fight Night in Memphis.

• Haha
Reactions: mtfblue
Looks like a typical night in Memphis. I take that back, no gun shots. So actually a nice night in Tennessee’s armpit.
I think it was the last time the Raiders were in Memphis, some loud drunk guy threw up in the section we were sitting in. We were about 50 feet away and we had to move the stink was so foul. He threw up a couple more times with considerable gusto. I guess he could've been sober and just got hold of some really memphis barbecue, but he sure cleared out the section.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Monmouth D was without arguably their 3 best players. Their best player at LB was out and both starting DE for Monmouth did not play. Missing your top 3 players on D really hurts a school like that when you only get 64 scholarships to hand out. I can’t believe we still couldn’t run it very well even with those 3 out. Big red flag for me. That’s a really big concern for me going forward. Hockman had good stats but I’m still worried about turnovers with him. He floated some balls and didn’t seem to be as accurate as I would like even though our receivers were as advertised and still caught the balls. We are gonna know a lot more about this team after the VT game. If we are going to compete in Blacksburg we will have to play much better than we did week 1. Passes will have to be tighter and on a rope, and our OL gonna have to open some holes. I still don’t think we have a legit starter-material D1 RB on our roster. Havnt had one since Mathers. This staff just can’t seem to recruit RBs

we are improved for sure, but look at the rest of the league. UAB, Marshall, UTSA, and WKU are really good football teams with a bunch of grown @$$ men on their rosters. Marshall’s defense looks terrifying. If we are to have any chance to win the East we will have to play near flawless football going forward. MT will have to play better football than it has over the last 20 years if we want to make the title game.

Wins a win though. Our defense was as advertised after a few adjustments made. Still very frustrated Quincy Riley and jalen didn’t play and won’t play week 2 either. We are deep at DB but we need those guys man. Anyone know why they are not playing ? Very frustrating. Special teams was good but still haven’t seen a FG try. Coverage was good and punting was fine. Long snapper was whizzing those suckers real good.

will know a lot more after VT. Team still has a ways to go if we are gonna win the East.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT