ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Murray State, 7PM, Monday, November 13, 2017

Agreed. Any win up there is a good win.

That was an old fashion grind out win. Great FT shooting and clutch play inside. Winning on the road when you shoot poorly from the outside is always a pleasant surprise.

How the heck did N. King only average 5 ppg until now?

I think at this point you've gotta credit our staff with all the successful transfers. I don't know if it's Kermits, any one of the specific assistant coaches, or the group collectively as a whole, but we've certainly got a good coaching staff here. They know how to get the best out of their players.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
That was impressive win considering how poorly and ugly of a game that was. We stupid turnovers, fouls, 3 seconds calls and lane violations and we still won. This will get cleaned up as we go forward. By the way Belmont beat Vanderbilt tonight so we will have another tough one Thursday night.

Kermit said in the post game that Walters keeps on doing immature things. Wouldn't elaborate but that's why they didn't put him in in the second half. He sounded disappointed in him.

He needs to get his head out of his butt or he may not be on the team much longer.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
King has an nba level skill set. When similar players see what he can do under KD they are gonna come knocking on the door. In reality king is a one and done talent who had poor college coaching.

I was impressed with Simmons. The underlying elephant in the room is if we don’t have Walters then we won’t have inside scoring ability like we have had the past several years. I know we have typically had stretch posts, but they have all been tough guys who wouldn’t think twice about playing with their back to the basket. Walters truly does bring another dimension to the team with his size and physicality. He is one of those guys who cancels out another high major 7ft monster (think Zubek from Duke for whom Butler just could not find an answer inside).
I believe 3pt shooting percentage was an outlier last night as they had 3-4 they hit with a foot on the line. Another issue they have is Giddy bringing the ball up causing him to expel energy just getting them to enter in to the offense. This takes away a few opportunities for him to receive the ball in a scoring area quickly. Someone needs to step up and take that role as the reserve point guard. I can see why Davis doesn’t trust any of the new guys with that yet as we were in such a tough environment EARLY in the year.
Proud of Gamble and Simmons though. They played big minutes and were very productive.

If we can get 7 points and 6 boards from Gamble each night and 8 pts and 5 boards from Simmons, we are going to be fine.

Our guards missed a lot of shots (Potts, Johnson and Dixon) - rarely will they shoot that poorly. Johnson is such a good finisher and late in the game he was blocked twice (give the Racers credit)

Meanwhile, I'd like Kermit to finesse Walters a bit - coach him in a way he understands...I worry Kermit's style will bury him and render him much less effective. We don't need Walters to be all-world, we just need him to be steady and play 25 mins a game.

What I really liked was we crushed them on the boards - this will win a lot of games when you don't shoot it well.

Brandon Walters high school coach was a tough hard nosed coach. He actually used to call Brandon out in the newspaper after games. I think Brandon will be fine. Like Kermit said he just needs to get out of his own way. the kid had 9 points and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes of play. He just needs to realize how good he can be

Brandon Walters high school coach was a tough hard nosed coach. He actually used to call Brandon out in the newspaper after games. I think Brandon will be fine. Like Kermit said he just needs to get out of his own way. the kid had 9 points and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes of play. He just needs to realize how good he can be

That last sentence is the key phrase. Walters has the best potential of any MT player I have seen to play in the NBA, provided he wants to make that his goal and focus in on it. He has size, strength, and some of the softest hands you'll ever see in a big man. The baseline hook shot he made last night against Murray State is completely indefensible, and he has a great ability to grab an offensive rebound and go right back to the rim with it.

His statistics on a per 40-minute basis are ridiculously dominant. I hope he is able to take the coaching in a positive way and make this a season to remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT