ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Missouri State (ESPN3), 2PM, Saturday, November 19, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
athletics.jpg

Enrollment: 24,163
Arena: Great Southern Bank Arena (11,000)
Colors: Maroon & White Nickname: Bears
Head Coach: Dana Ford
Record at School: 72-51 (5th Season) Career Record: 129-116 (9th Season)
2021-22 Record: 23-11, 13-5
2021-22 Finish: 2nd MVC
2021-22 Postseason: NIT First Round
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 3/11

Last edited:
Tough tough team. Won 23 games last year. Former TSU coach Dana Ford is a very good coach. Transfer portal hit the Bears hard, but like Murray State brought in good replacements including 5 P5 transfers themselves. Missouri State just went on road to play BYU in Provo & lost 66-64 on a last second shot. Lindy's has the Bears as #2 pick in the Valley behind Drake. Far & away our most difficult game so far. The Raiders must get off to a good start to stay with them. If we do & pull this one out at their place MT can go higher than 4th in CUSA this year. Our improved play against Rice gives me more confidence, but I imagine Missouri State will be favored at home. Side note- I hate ESPN3, can't get it to download. Wish all schools would select ESPN Plus for broadcasting

Tough tough team. Won 23 games last year. Former TSU coach Dana Ford is a very good coach. Transfer portal hit the Bears hard, but like Murray State brought in good replacements including 5 P5 transfers themselves. Missouri State just went on road to play BYU in Provo & lost 66-64 on a last second shot. Lindy's has the Bears as #2 pick in the Valley behind Drake. Far & away our most difficult game so far. The Raiders must get off to a good start to stay with them. If we do & pull this one out at their place MT can go higher than 4th in CUSA this year. Our improved play against Rice gives me more confidence, but I imagine Missouri State will be favored at home. Side note- I hate ESPN3, can't get it to download. Wish all schools would select ESPN Plus for broadcasting
I found the Charlotte game on ESPN app on my TV but it was showing AK State game, which was showing our game.

I too prefer +. Integrated in to Hulu while 3 games aren't.

Reactions: MTFAN61
FWIW, Rice who lost to MT, defeated GA Southern 88-71 last night.
Additional fwiw, UT-Martin gave Kermit's bunch everything they wanted in Oxford 72-68. Our connection is I understand the Raiders rolled over Martin big time in early year scrimmage. Going in to his 5th year at Ole Miss coach Davis has yet to produce anything as good as what he had his last 5 years in the 'boro.

Mizzou st, is who you invite to CUSA. Great overall program with major growth potential. Hella better overall than Charlotte or ODwho ever was
Agee 100 percent. Some similarities MT shares with MSU. Springfield approximately same size as Murfreesboro, but slightly larger 169,000. Basketball arena 11,000. University enrollment slightly larger at 24k. And they really support their basketball teams

This just isn't a very good team. Easy to beat up on crappy opponents but when push comes to shove and you've gotta play a competitive team, we fold like a cheap tent. We can't hang with the upper echelon of the G5.

Oh well.

Last edited:
It's not fair to expect much more from the players. Nick brings these guys in knowing they don't have good shooting %'s. Look no further than their JUCO numbers. Some are barely above 30% at 3. They are not major offensive threats. Can't hit free throws, either.

You can blow bad teams out of the water when you're just more athletic. You can win the Big South with teams like that.

But that shit doesn't work against the Top 100. You have to be able to score AND have elite level athleticism.

Throw poor coaching on top of that and you've got a middle of the pack CUSA team that will struggle to qualify for CBI/CIT.

Unbelievably disappointing. Top paid G5 coach in Year 5 and we are pathetic.

Dana Ford makes $425k btw. Significantly less than McDevitt.

This is a terrible performance. I was frustrated to see CUSA scheduled both MBB and WBB games against WKU in late December on the same day but this is showing me what game to go watch... road trip to Bowling Green to cheer on the ladies it is.

What's the problem. 3 pt. Shooting?

Shooting across the board is really bad. They can hardly make FT's. We have to be one of the worst FT shooting teams in the country, if not THE worst.

They have struggled mightily on the road, which is where good teams earn their stripes. You've got to be able to pack a lunch and go on the road and win against good teams. We can't even keep it competitive at this point, much less push for a W.

We can sit here and keep saying it's early, it's only a D2 team, it's only this or it's only that. But there were major question marks surrounding our guards before the season and that concern has only grown even more.

I don't think these guys are going to magically wake up one day and start shooting better, especially on the road. The shooting will probably be pretty decent at home because that's usually what you see with a mediocre squad. Classic good home court play and then shit the bed when they have to play away.

It's depressing. I was really excited about our OOC schedule because all the games were winnable. But after starting 0-2 in OOC it's pretty clear this team is going to struggle big time on the road and against other respectable mid-majors. You can kiss a possible at-large goodbye and we havnt even played 10 games yet.

We should not be getting blown out by MVC and Big South teams in Year 5 of McDevitt's tenure. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the G5. It's time to see some results. We are well beyond the honey moon phase.

Agreed with the odds pickers about Missouri St winning this one at home, but to me this was an example of 1 team totally intimidating the other. Mental toughness is one thing this team is sorely lacking compared to last year when facing adversity. It is still early, but after 2 home games & 2 road games all with similar outcomes you start to get a sense of team development or lack thereof. Raiders have blown teams out at home while shooting the ball with confidence, yet crumble on the road when punched in the face in the 1st 10-15 minutes. We're sorely missing a tough minded leader who can get a bucket when needed on the road. Feels like coach was putting a lot of stock in Jordan being the man, but that's not happening now. With his absence this team has been openly exposed. Coaching X's & O's are just part of the game. Coaching toughness is just as imperative. Last year Sims & Jefferson kept the team together with toughness, & the rest followed their lead. While those 2 are gone, we still have around 10 returning lettermen. But no road leaders as of yet. Like him or not, working with some talent or very little, Kermit preached toughness to his Raider teams & rarely we got destroyed on the road by a fellow G5 school like we did tonight. Nick must start doing the same with these guys, it's not the responsibility of an assistant to develop a team's toughness, it's his. For those in opposition to above non positive comments, please think of these as critiques not attacks. I don't feel to critique 2 losses in which we trailed by basically 20 or more in both games is an over reaction at this time. Besides we sure don't mind pointing out the football team's losses, it's what fans who care do.

Reactions: dukewayne
Agreed with the odds pickers about Missouri St winning this one at home, but to me this was an example of 1 team totally intimidating the other. Mental toughness is one thing this team is sorely lacking compared to last year when facing adversity. It is still early, but after 2 home games & 2 road games all with similar outcomes you start to get a sense of team development or lack thereof. Raiders have blown teams out at home while shooting the ball with confidence, yet crumble on the road when punched in the face in the 1st 10-15 minutes. We're sorely missing a tough minded leader who can get a bucket when needed on the road. Feels like coach was putting a lot of stock in Jordan being the man, but that's not happening now. With his absence this team has been openly exposed. Coaching X's & O's are just part of the game. Coaching toughness is just as imperative. Last year Sims & Jefferson kept the team together with toughness, & the rest followed their lead. While those 2 are gone, we still have around 10 returning lettermen. But no road leaders as of yet. Like him or not, working with some talent or very little, Kermit preached toughness to his Raider teams & rarely we got destroyed on the road by a fellow G5 school like we did tonight. Nick must start doing the same with these guys, it's not the responsibility of an assistant to develop a team's toughness, it's his. For those in opposition to above non positive comments, please think of these as critiques not attacks. I don't feel to critique 2 losses in which we trailed by basically 20 or more in both games is an over reaction at this time. Besides we sure don't mind pointing out the football team's losses, it's what fans who care do.
Really close to my thoughts. Discipline and toughness! Neither seems apparent with this team to this early stage of the season. This is an ongoing pattern since CNM arrived in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT