ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (9-3) @ UT-Chattanooga (9-3) (ESPN+), 6PM, Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Great game so far.....UTC finally has a lead.

Please don't come off the handles now

Need a response.. Sims with 4 mistakes in 3 possessions.. ran the wrong play and Dish threw it away, too much space on the long skip pass to allow the open 3, forced jumper that missed and compounds that with a ticky-tacky reaching fou to put UTC on the line

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Unfortunate. Played so well up until this point but last few offensive possessions have been poor. Just can't afford any lapses like that when you're playing a Top 100/Top 50 type of team.

Oh well.

Reactions: Hop45
They are another class of players. Too potent offensively with sound defense. They didn't make any big mistakes really even when we built a lead. That's the sign of a good team.

We on the other hand, the second they went ahead with that 3, completely collapsed and never even flirted with getting back into the game.

Weston has got to quit shooting 3's. He got lucky against Coastal on 2 deep ones. Tonight, we're up 8 pts and he takes an ill-advised 3 and then UTC goes on a run, takes the lead, then dominates the rest of the way.

I told someone I was watching the game with, that I thought if/when utc got the lead they would never relinquish it.

Well we've seen that happen for the last 3 years where we look like we can play with a team......and then proceed to do so for a half, 30 minutes, 35 minutes, etc.

Then the second they take the lead we forget how to play basketball. UTC is a good team and probably should have won this game, especially with them being at home. But it feels like they're going to finish this game on a 40 to 5 run or so and that should never happen.

Pretty difficult to put into words how frustrating it is to see it happen season after season after season....

Reactions: Blue_H
Weston has got to quit shooting 3's. He got lucky against Coastal on 2 deep ones. Tonight, we're up 8 pts and he takes an ill-advised 3 and then UTC goes on a run, takes the lead, then dominates the rest of the way.
I agree he’s better playing down hill- attacking the rim.. but that one shot didn’t allow UTC to go on the unanswered run..

it’s an unfortunate ending after playing really well but hopefully a lesson this team will take into conference play against other good teams- you can’t have scoring droughts of 4 minutes, play poor defense allowing open looks and make unforced errors in the same stretch and expect good teams not to take full advantage..

I’m calling it 13 wins this season. At this rate we will make the NCAA Tournament in. 2030.

I have officially joined the ‘I saw CNM coach a win into a loss’ club! With the game on the line, he was way more interested in screaming at the referees than calming down and coaching his team. What a clown show.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
Gonna have to consider benching Lawrence. Can't have a starting guard that can't put the ball in the basket.

Defense was just bad in the second half. UTC poured in 46 points while we managed only 31. Outscored by 15 in the second half. Yikes.

Looking forward to conference play I think this team just has too many holes and weaknesses to make any real noise in CUSA. Expecting something around .500 with a few exciting wins but just as many disappointments. What frustrates me and what is a big problem in my opinion is the lack of a consistent player or group of players that can be depended on night in, night out. We always seem to have some random player who leads the team in scoring, I feel you could literally pull a name out of a hat at this point. Lots of Robin's but no Batman in sight. Whereas a team like UTC has a core group of guys that are going to put the ball in the basket nearly every night.

Something to ponder:

UTC's 3 starting guards tonight......56 points
MT's 3 starting guards tonight.........18 points

That's quite literally more than 3x points from their starting guards vs. ours. Sure, they played longer, but who cares? That's a core group of guys that are going to put the ball in the basket and win games. We just don't have that. I said before the season and I've said all along, our weakness is our guards. I continue to believe that and it's an even bigger weakness than I thought before. We seem to be playing basketball by committee out there lately and just going with the hot hand. No cream has risen to the top, feels like everyone on our roster is more or less about the same talent wise. Doesn't strike me as a recipe for success.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Gonna have to consider benching Lawrence. Can't have a starting guard that can't put the ball in the basket.

Defense was just bad in the second half. UTC poured in 46 points while we managed only 31. Outscored by 15 in the second half. Yikes.

Looking forward to conference play I think this team just has too many holes and weaknesses to make any real noise in CUSA. Expecting something around .500 with a few exciting wins but just as many disappointments. What frustrates me and what is a big problem in my opinion is the lack of a consistent player or group of players that can be depended on night in, night out. We always seem to have some random player who leads the team in scoring, I feel you could literally pull a name out of a hat at this point. Lots of Robin's but no Batman in sight. Whereas a team like UTC has a core group of guys that are going to put the ball in the basket nearly every night.

Something to ponder:

UTC's 3 starting guards tonight......56 points
MT's 3 starting guards tonight.........18 points

That's quite literally more than 3x points from their starting guards vs. ours. Sure, they played longer, but who cares? That's a core group of guys that are going to put the ball in the basket and win games. We just don't have that. I said before the season and I've said all along, our weakness is our guards. I continue to believe that and it's an even bigger weakness than I thought before. We seem to be playing basketball by committee out there lately and just going with the hot hand. No cream has risen to the top, feels like everyone on our roster is more or less about the same talent wise. Doesn't strike me as a recipe for success.

Yeah. Were good when we are hitting 3's. Our team falls apart when they have to rely on the inside game. I thought the refs took our inside defense away from us which really caused problems. I thought they were very picky calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT