ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-9) vs Reinhardt (4-8, 3-6), 6:30PM, Wednesday, January 3, 2023

I get the budget part, but isn't it worth $100k more to have games that count against your NET? If you are playing a lesser opponent (which there are plenty of in D1), the whole point is to try new things, experiment. You can't get a true guage of what works when you are winning by 60pts.

We are a one bid league so if a team blows it in the tourney then your only shot at an at-large is to have a high NET ranking.

Add this to the list of reasons why I wouldn't make a good AD I guess. I'm just too impatient and demanding.

Okay, so he has an excuse for padding the record. Still doesn’t give him credit when his performance as coach overall is evaluated.
Padding the record or not, this team is bad and will be judged, by the remaining fans, if not the PTBs, on the conference record and how quickly they are eliminated in the conference tourney. I honestly do not see 5 wins in conference play and at this point, barring some miraculous turn-around, and don't see any hope of this team's visit to Huntsville lasting past the first day.

I don't have any animous towards McDevitt, other than this team's play, and would prefer to see him succeed, but six years in, this team even with an injury to a key player, should not be this bad. He's had plenty of time to get this thing going in the right direction. If I were AD I would be making a change at the point a losing season is locked up, not the end of the season.

If we have a losing season in year 6 with 2 NAIA games and no Big 6 games I would think Chris would make a change. He essentially started the season with 2 wins and all the other games are peers or slightly below. St Mary’s is the only potential top 25 team we played and they are really bad this year by their standards. Not to mention it was an absolute beatdown. I wouldn’t want to be in Nick’s shoes right now.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
If we have a losing season in year 6 with 2 NAIA games and no Big 6 games I would think Chris would make a change. He essentially started the season with 2 wins and all the other games are peers or slightly below. St Mary’s is the only potential top 25 team we played and they are really bad this year by their standards. Not to mention it was an absolute beatdown. I wouldn’t want to be in Nick’s shoes right now.
I wouldn't want to be in CM's shoes. I listened to Episode 2 of the BR Pod yesterday with Jake Rose (who does a great job calling games BTW). Both said they think things are different now in McD's first 6yrs than CKD, and that McD deserves the patience shown to CKD and even Stock. That things are harder now with the portal and whatnot and we should be patient as well because remember, we were calling for CKD's head early too.

Here's the thing. I don't buy that. I think it is easier to win quick now. A good coach may have a down year, see what they need and go get it. Sure you have to keep a few guys, but still. You were hired to recruit, so recruit.

Also, if my quick check is right, McD is 75-96, 15 games into season 6, with 11 wins over non-D1 teams.
CKD was 89-76, 15 games into season 6, with 12 wins over non-D1 teams. So 64-96 vs 77-76.

CM has gained a bit of good will, so far, by firing Stock and hiring Mason. Will he lose what he's gained by moving on from McD, or will he lose it if he keeps him? We still don't know his contract either. It could be we can't afford to move on right now.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I wouldn't want to be in CM's shoes. I listened to Episode 2 of the BR Pod yesterday with Jake Rose (who does a great job calling games BTW). Both said they think things are different now in McD's first 6yrs than CKD, and that McD deserves the patience shown to CKD and even Stock. That things are harder now with the portal and whatnot and we should be patient as well because remember, we were calling for CKD's head early too.

Here's the thing. I don't buy that. I think it is easier to win quick now. A good coach may have a down year, see what they need and go get it. Sure you have to keep a few guys, but still. You were hired to recruit, so recruit.

Also, if my quick check is right, McD is 75-96, 15 games into season 6, with 11 wins over non-D1 teams.
CKD was 89-76, 15 games into season 6, with 12 wins over non-D1 teams. So 64-96 vs 77-76.

CM has gained a bit of good will, so far, by firing Stock and hiring Mason. Will he lose what he's gained by moving on from McD, or will he lose it if he keeps him? We still don't know his contract either. It could be we can't afford to move on right now.

I don't know Rose, but what I have seen happen at Middle going all the way back Randy Weil and McCollum is that people who are inherently close to the program develop a relationship with the coach and then call out, berate, or best case just disagree with logic and common sense on where things need to go next. Perhaps that's the case with Rose - as he's called most of MT's TV games on E+. Apologist for poor performance are usually easy to pick out.

What you said it's absolutely true. Even before the portal was officially a thing you could flip a roster in basketball in one season. There isn't a single shred of evidence that supports giving this guy another game much less more years. In fact, all evidence points to change here. It's been there since day 1 too and nothing has really changed since. Go back and read what I wrote after the very first game he had against Belmont in 2018. The things I was worried about when he was hired and what we saw in the first season are the exact things he's demonstrated every single year validating why he should have never been hired in the first place. As I said all along, I hoped he would prove me wrong over time. Unfortunately, that's not happened.

You’re right. People can’t/wont take their emotions out of it.

Is he meeting expectations this year?

Looking at his tenure in totality, has he collectively met expectations?

Is there any evidence that the program is trending the right direction?

Does he have a clear plan to move toward success?

If a coach has been with a school 5+ years and the answers to all these questions are no, he needs to go.

I don't know Rose, but what I have seen happen at Middle going all the way back Randy Weil and McCollum is that people who are inherently close to the program develop a relationship with the coach and then call out, berate, or best case just disagree with logic and common sense on where things need to go next. Perhaps that's the case with Rose - as he's called most of MT's TV games on E+. Apologist for poor performance are usually easy to pick out.

What you said it's absolutely true. Even before the portal was officially a thing you could flip a roster in basketball in one season. There isn't a single shred of evidence that supports giving this guy another game much less more years. In fact, all evidence points to change here. It's been there since day 1 too and nothing has really changed since. Go back and read what I wrote after the very first game he had against Belmont in 2018. The things I was worried about when he was hired and what we saw in the first season are the exact things he's demonstrated every single year validating why he should have never been hired in the first place. As I said all along, I hoped he would prove me wrong over time. Unfortunately, that's not happened.
The fact that Kingaling has gone dark is pretty telling.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT