ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-15, 2-5) @ North Texas (17-3, 5-2), 5PM, Saturday, January 26, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The folks in a higher paygrade than you certainly think this program is better off without him.. isn’t that all that matters?

I notice you avoid answering any of my questions.. at least qualify your position. Basically you saw a video of Grensing coaching 7 years ago and that’s enough..

Grensing recruits? Lack of player development for the holdovers? Lack of all-conference type players on the roster? Anything?

Dude, really? Grensing worked and developed players like Dendy, Jones, Upshaw, JaCorey Williams, etc. Wiley explained the rest. Dude is a good coach. He's not here anymore. Massaro is an idiot. Why are you so insecure? Sheesh.

All conference defender (Tyrik Dixon) and potential CUSA POY material (Antwan Johnson) were both booted off by CNM. They were left on the roster when Davis left. 3 extremely highly rated freshmen (Curry, Fagan, Buffen), who had recently signed, were also left on the roster. McDevitt was unable to retain any of them for various reasons. So, the roster was not technically left empty. There was plenty there to be worked with, if McDevitt coulda found a way to make it work. Both Dixon and Johnson have signed with other teams, so it's not like they killed somebody. I refuse to believe their issues could not have been amicably resolved if McDevitt threatened their scholarships. I also don't feel like enough was done to retain our recent signees either. Both by McDevitt and our AD, as evidenced by one of them asking to be contacted on TWITTER after the new coach had been announaced. Seriously, WTH? At that point I don't blame them for leaving.

The entire MTSU fan base knows CKD was recruiting those kids to Ole Miss in his way out the door- that’s not a pipeline asset despite what the online roster may have indicated.. CNM had been in contact with all 3 before those tweets.. don’t let the peacocks mesmerize you with their feathers for show.. don’t believe everything you see on the Internet my friend..

Decent players in Dixon & Johnson no doubt.. they certainly would’ve made a big difference in the team results this year.. and yes they found landing spots.. I’m not going to engage in the rabbit hole discussion surrounding their departures..

But seriously Wiley- you have railed about taking Scurry from a program the caliber of Missouri St so Dixon landing there doesn’t seem like such a high endorsement from your own vantage point.. this team certainly couldve used a PG with a high assist/TO ratio.. I’m happy he’s found a place to continue his career.

Johnson as a potential POY type? How does he remind you of a player like Nick King? Definitely a CUSA starter going forward but nothing I’ve seen from watching quite a few games last year make me think he was that type of guy.. not at 6’2”.. 10 pts/2 boards in starting a little over half the games as a soph.. not seeing the potential in him.. he’ll get a chance at Buffalo with Massinburg/Harris/Perkins graduating this year.. I’m happy he’s found a place to continue his career.

Dude, really? Grensing worked and developed players like Dendy, Jones, Upshaw, JaCorey Williams, etc. Wiley explained the rest. Dude is a good coach. He's not here anymore. Massaro is an idiot. Why are you so insecure? Sheesh.

Worked... developed.. I asked who did Grensing recruit to MTSU.. someone should know who are his guys if he was a recruiting coach? I have the distinct impression that Grensings value was in the practice areas and not in the recruiting/evaluation trail- in other words it explains that his value was lower than other assistants on CKD’s staff, why he wasn’t taken to Ole Miss, and nothing you’re saying seems to be refuting that.. evidently he didn’t work with Gamble or Massenburg because they would be NBA prospects by now..

You didn't watch very many games then. There were several games and nights where Johnson was the best player on the floor and carried the Blue Raiders on his back. He was the most athletic player on the team and one of the best shooters we've had in a long time. You'll see how good a player he is when he is torching clowns w/ a Buffalo jersey on. Please remember this convo. Every single fan here will back my assessment on Johnson. He was/is all conference talent. No doubt about it.

With regards to Dixon, he was literally 1st team CUSA defender and did a great job protecting the ball. Not a great scorer but he brought toughness and defense and didn't turn it over every other possession, something this team seems to lack.

Mo St. is happy to take our players. Our starters. Our 1st team all CUSA defense PG. I am not happy to take their under-sized bench players. Can't believe I have to explain this.

Worked... developed.. I asked who did Grensing recruit to MTSU.. someone should know who are his guys if he was a recruiting coach? I have the distinct impression that Grensings value was in the practice areas and not in the recruiting/evaluation trail- in other words it explains that his value was lower than other assistants on CKD’s staff, why he wasn’t taken to Ole Miss, and nothing you’re saying seems to be refuting that.. evidently he didn’t work with Gamble or Massenburg because they would be NBA prospects by now..

Grensing recruited nobody. He was tasked with finding the next Kyle Korver but never could. Ronnie Hamilton did all the recruiting for the most part. Grensing and Win were more X and O guys and helped run the practices.

Gamble was never meant to be a starter. He is a role player, a bench player. That's why Kermit used him as such. Gamble did great in spots and in specific match-ups. Kermit knew how to use him well off the bench. With Gamble, CNM is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with him this season. Kermit would have likely brought in another transfer at the 5 position or just played Curry as a freshman. Gamble has never been starter and never should have been a starter. Like almost every other player on the team, he has too many holes in his game. Of the players playing this year, I think Sims and Green are the only 2 who have any business starting. The rest are a herd of bench players.

You didn't watch very many games then. There were several games and nights where Johnson was the best player on the floor and carried the Blue Raiders on his back. He was the most athletic player on the team and one of the best shooters we've had in a long time. You'll see how good a player he is when he is torching clowns w/ a Buffalo jersey on. Please remember this convo. Every single fan here will back my assessment on Johnson. He was/is all conference talent. No doubt about it.

With regards to Dixon, he was literally 1st team CUSA defender and did a great job protecting the ball. Not a great scorer but he brought toughness and defense and didn't turn it over every other possession, something this team seems to lack.

Mo St. is happy to take our players. Our starters. Our 1st team all CUSA defense PG. I am not happy to take their under-sized bench players. Can't believe I have to explain this.

MTSU basketball was not their priorities....

So what does it say about the roster that Scurry is the best BiG guy on this team?

I agree that this team doesn’t have starter talent.. I’ve been saying that for awhile now.. if Dixon stayed Sims would be coming off the bench as he had been though right?

Green would be a good 6th man-simply not a 2-way player to merit being a starter in my eyes.. offensively he’s a starter..

Dude, you're off your rocker. A poor craftsman blames his tools. Grensing had a knack of getting the players to play better with him and if he was here that would have happened. We ran a completely different style than we do now with CNM. A bunch of square pegs trying to fit a round hole. CNM hasn't adjusted his style for the talent he has either. That much is evident which is a sign of a bad coach. We are horrible and you blame kids who were on the team last year that won 25 games. They were role players. Now they suck? If they do, it's because this coach can't lead them and his assistants can't develop them.

I'm done arguing about this. If this dude was worth a crap, we wouldn't be battling for dead last in a lower tier mid major conference. Good luck to you buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
Dude, you're off your rocker. A poor craftsman blames his tools. Grensing had a knack of getting the players to play better with him and if he was here that would have happened. We ran a completely different style than we do now with CNM. A bunch of square pegs trying to fit a round hole. CNM hasn't adjusted his style for the talent he has either. That much is evident which is a sign of a bad coach. We are horrible and you blame kids who were on the team last year that won 25 games. They were role players. Now they suck? If they do, it's because this coach can't lead them and his assistants can't develop them.

I'm done arguing about this. If this dude was worth a crap, we wouldn't be battling for dead last in a lower tier mid major conference. Good luck to you buddy.

I haven’t blamed any of the kids- just being realistic about their observed abilities in games.. In 3 years no one developed a role player to shoot over either shoulder, to play with his back to the basket, how to develop his hands.. that’s my point for such a miracle worker I see little development in the post players who are still here- an area you claim Grensing excelled.. others here have asked about the lack of development of post players.. your responses are all about your feelings towards Grensing and you’ve qualified very little about what he was able to do by only mentioning the guys who had success.. recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and Grensing wasn’t a big part of that process on that staff.. it’s all telling.. role players can be developed into solid contributors and even starters- but not if they’re neglected and relegated to only being role players..

Last edited:
Greg’s arrival was the start of Kermit’s success. He was not chosen to be our head coach so let it go. Dixon and Johnson were let go for valid reasons we would have been better with them. The recruits we let go would be better down the road but not much different this year i think only one is play much I might be wrong about playtime but don’t think so. At this time our roster his young with role players no one would have won many games. Nick probably should have brought own at least one seasoned assistant would high major experience Greg would have stayed but I understand that can cause isssues

Regarding Dixon, I know for a fact that one of the first things Kermit told Nick was that he should be kicked off the team. He was in line to be booted like Johnson and Thomas but found out and announced his intention to transfer before he could "officially" be kicked off.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Why are ya'll fussing over Dixon. Dude was flat out flat last year. Almost every category from his Freshmen year went down considerably. Johnson was definitely on his way to be a conference player.

Anyway - this team has no...I repeat no starters on this roster. Nick better improve that in recruiting because that's the problem. All of the CKD leftovers might be good guys but their ability is trash.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Jo
The entire MTSU fan base knows CKD was recruiting those kids to Ole Miss in his way out the door- that’s not a pipeline asset despite what the online roster may have indicated.. CNM had been in contact with all 3 before those tweets.. don’t let the peacocks mesmerize you with their feathers for show.. don’t believe everything you see on the Internet my friend.
Decent players in Dixon & Johnson no doubt.. they certainly would’ve made a big difference in the team results this year.. and yes they found landing spots.. I’m not going to engage in the rabbit hole discussion surrounding their departures..

But seriously Wiley- you have railed about taking Scurry from a program the caliber of Missouri St so Dixon landing there doesn’t seem like such a high endorsement from your own vantage point.. this team certainly couldve used a PG with a high assist/TO ratio.. I’m happy he’s found a place to continue his career.

Johnson as a potential POY type? How does he remind you of a player like Nick King? Definitely a CUSA starter going forward but nothing I’ve seen from watching quite a few games last year make me think he was that type of guy.. not at 6’2”.. 10 pts/2 boards in starting a little over half the games as a soph.. not seeing the potential in him.. he’ll get a chance at Buffalo with Massinburg/Harris/Perkins graduating this year.. I’m happy he’s found a place to continue his career.

You are out of your element right now. You didn't watch Johnson last year. You didn't watch this team. You look a stats column and judge the guy? Johnson was a starter and key cog in the last two seasons. Because of all the star power he was relegated more to a role because there isn't an unlimited number of basketballs to go around. Had Kermit stayed and kept the roster in tact Johnson is absolutely in the top 3 for POY and is probably leading the league in scoring. Johnson has power conference ability and would have been one of the elite players as the #1 scorer on this year's team. So, again please stop acting like you know this team pre CNM. You don't. Johnson was a stud waiting for his chance to be the go to guy.

That said his departure is not CNM's fault. It's Antwain Johnson's fault.

Last edited:
I agree Johnson had future and you are right it was not nicks fault. At middle it is hard to flip a roster in one year we are not recruiting 4and 5 stars it’s difficult but we must be patient

Jo

You are out of your element right now. You didn't watch Johnson last year. You didn't watch this team. You look a stats column and judge the guy? Johnson was a starter and key cog in the last two seasons. Because of all the star power he was relegated more to a role because there isn't an unlimited number of basketballs to go around. Had Kermit stayed and kept the roster in tact Johnson is absolutely in the top 3 for POY and is probably leading the league in scoring. Johnson has power conference ability and would have been one of the elite players as the #1 scorer on this year's team. So, again please stop acting like you know this team pre CNM. You don't. Johnson was a stud waiting for his chance to be the go to guy.

That said his departure is not CNM's fault. It's Antwain Johnson's fault.

I have access to games from the last few years actually.. out of my element? Plenty of y’all judged CNM before the year even started and don’t defer to my observed input- not sure what the difference is but whatever.. Johnson didn’t jump out to me is all- but I also wasn’t looking at those games to evaluate players not on the team. That said I’ll openly conceed to your input and opinion of Johnson as you have witnessed players in ways I certainly haven’t.. he’s athletic for his height, good shooter, and has had great efficiency/advanced metrics upon closer look.. all good things offensively although his defensive metrics aren’t eye popping.. if he is a POY type then I’d expect he’ll do exceedingly well in the MAC with Buffalo’s style of play and with lots of playing time open once their seniors graduate this year.. Johnson should at the very least make all-conference going forward right? We’ll have to wait and see.. but as you said he made the choice to not be at MTSU..

So there was 1 all-conference player and a solid PG on the roster when CNM was hired.. where’s the upperclass representative in the paint? I continually see on this board folks who want to know what type of BIGS, especially power forwards this team will land and how important that position is for this league.. where’s that type of guy on the roster when CKD left? Banking on a freshman..

I also don’t see anyone saying I’m out of my element on the lack of development of some of these holdovers- role players or not you’re only as good as your weakest link.. my point is that the pipeline was mediocre at best and relying on freshmen and not having depth to absorb injuries isn’t ideal.. these are all things that now have to be built from the ground up..

[
I have access to games from the last few years actually.. out of my element? Plenty of y’all judged CNM before the year even started and don’t defer to my observed input- not sure what the difference is but whatever.. Johnson didn’t jump out to me is all- but I also wasn’t looking at those games to evaluate players not on the team. That said I’ll openly conceed to your input and opinion of Johnson as you have witnessed players in ways I certainly haven’t.. he’s athletic for his height, good shooter, and has had great efficiency/advanced metrics upon closer look.. all good things offensively although his defensive metrics aren’t eye popping.. if he is a POY type then I’d expect he’ll do exceedingly well in the MAC with Buffalo’s style of play and with lots of playing time open once their seniors graduate this year.. Johnson should at the very least make all-conference going forward right? We’ll have to wait and see.. but as you said he made the choice to not be at MTSU..

So there was 1 all-conference player and a solid PG on the roster when CNM was hired.. where’s the upperclass representative in the paint? I continually see on this board folks who want to know what type of BIGS, especially power forwards this team will land and how important that position is for this league.. where’s that type of guy on the roster when CKD left? Banking on a freshman..

I also don’t see anyone saying I’m out of my element on the lack of development of some of these holdovers- role players or not you’re only as good as your weakest link.. my point is that the pipeline was mediocre at best and relying on freshmen and not having depth to absorb injuries isn’t ideal.. these are all things that now have to be built from the ground up..

2sg5ir.jpg

geez guys...give it a little bit of a rest, will you? Nobody is convincing anyone of anything at this point. This season is a throw away, was always going to be that way once the releases were given and the dismissals handed out. Like it or not we have to let it play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT