ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (18-3, 8-0) vs. LaTech(14-7, 6-2), ESPN3, 5PM Saturday, January 28, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Middle Tennessee (18-3, 8-0) vs. Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (14-7, 6-2)

Date: Saturday, January 28

Tip-Off: 5:00 p.m. CT

TV: None

Online Streaming:
ESPN3 (Must have valid cable log-in to access the game stream)

Radio: 1450 AM, 97.5 FM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM, 102.5 FM,

Free Audio: Click here

Series Record: 14th meeting; La Tech leads series 11-2

Last Meeting: February 11, 2016 (LT 73, MT 63)

Rosters: MT/La Tech

warren nolan live rpi: MT #37 / LTU #172

Live-RPI.com: MT #37 / LTU #172

Sagarin: MT #63 / LTU #99

Pomeroy: MT #48 / LTU #80

KPI: MT #33 / LTU #151

ESPN BPI: MT #56 / LTU #86

Big game, hope we can take advantage of them missing a star player. And hope the arena is more than 1/2 full. I know I sound like a broken record but boy it makes me upset to see so few people care about this team.

how latech responds to all this will be interesting, I have no doubt that if they come in focused they can knock off the Raiders if they are not at the top of their game. Our guys better be ready. I expect an ugly game with the refs on alert and likely very whistle happy.

Reactions: MTTim and MTOleBlue
Also interesting is the pg matchup, freshman vs freshman. Latech's DaQuan Bracey has been CUSA freshman of the week two weeks running...

Also interesting is the pg matchup, freshman vs freshman. Latech's DaQuan Bracey has been CUSA freshman of the week two weeks running...

I'm amazed at how much better Dixon is now than he was in the first game. With every passing game, you can see the confidence growing. He's going to be a good one.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
excerpt:

...The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs will travel to the Murphy Athletic Center to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders this Saturday afternoon in College Basketball action.

The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs had their 4-game winning streak snapped and dropped to 14-7 (6-2 C-USA) on the season after being defeated by the UAB Blazers, 79-70, this past Thursday. This game had plenty of fireworks, as after UAB took a 63-50 lead late in the 2nd half, a bench clearing fight broke out which has led to the suspension of Jacobi Boykins for this game. Louisiana Tech struggled on the defensive end as the Bulldogs allowed UAB to shoot 50.0% from the field and 44.4% (8-18) from beyond the arc. Leading the way for the Bulldogs was Erik McCree who had 16 points, 13 rebounds, 1 assist, and a steal. On the season, Louisiana Tech is averaging 76.9 ppg on 47.2% shooting from the field. The Bulldogs are averaging 7.4 three-pointers per game on 34.4% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Louisiana Tech has been led by Erik McCree (17.1 ppg, 9.0 rpg), Jacobi Boykins (14.7 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.2 spg), Jalen Harris (10.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.6 apg), and Omar Sherman (9.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.1 bpg). Defensively, Louisiana Tech is holding their opponents to an average of 64.2 ppg on 40.6% shooting from the field. The Bulldogs have a rebound margin of 3.6 and a turnover margin of 1.9.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won their 8th straight game and improved to 18-3 (8-0 C-USA) on the season after defeating the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles, 72-56, this past Thursday. Middle Tennessee was outstanding on the defensive end in the 1st half and had little trouble securing the victory after taking a 37-23 halftime lead. Middle Tennessee shot 50.8% from the field and won the turnover margin by a 15-7 margin in the victory. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was Giddy Potts who had 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 74.7 ppg on 48.7% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders are averaging 6.7 three-pointers per game on 37.7% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, Middle Tennessee has been led by JaCorey Williams (17.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg), Giddy Potts (15.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.6 spg), Reggie Upshaw (14.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.5 spg), and Tyrik Dixon (5.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.1 spg). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is holding their opponents to an average of 64.0 ppg on 42.6% shooting from the field. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 4.3 and a turnover margin of 3.7.

The Bulldogs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games following a straight up loss. The Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games following a ATS loss and 9-2 ATS in their last 11 games vs. C-USA opponents.

Louisiana Tech has won 7 of their last 10 games and have been impressive on both sides of the ball this season as the Bulldogs rank 99th in scoring margin, 54th in FG%, 34th in scoring defense, and 52nd in defensive FG%. Middle Tennessee looks like to be the favorite at this point of the season to win the C-USA and has been led by their defense that ranks 30th in scoring defense, 18th in turnover margin, and T-68th in rebound margin. Louisiana Tech is a decent club, however, the loss of Jacobi Boykins for this is game is going to be costly.....

Should be a good crowd, just heard from the undergrads at my fraternity, over 20 will be there (Kappa Sigma). I am attending and bringing 3 folks with me that rarely come, in looking for tickets, almost all of D, E, F were sold out. I am hoping for 7K plus

7,800 attendance. Anybody know the official capacity of just the lower bowl? I assume 7k. 8k consistently should be the goal.

7,800 attendance. Anybody know the official capacity of just the lower bowl? I assume 7k. 8k consistently should be the goal.
Lower area is approximately 6,500. Upper deck had lots of people too. What an atmosphere. I think it was as loud as I've heard it in a long, long time for a win like that. Reminded me of the Minnesota game. Win the games in Texas and we should have 8,000+ for ODU.

Can I just say how amazing is Jacorey Williams? Talk about Mr Clutch. He is the definition of an unselfish team player with a drive to win. He should be drafted, he has the talent and the attitude necessary to be a big name in the NBA on down the road. So very proud of the effort, the teamwork of this team. Now let's keep this season UNDEFEATED in conference play, starting with UTSA next Thursday. Woohoo! Still pumped!!

Last edited:
Today was the 21st crowd of 6,000+ at Murphy Center during the Davis era. Raiders are 14-7 in those 21 games.

It was the 13th game of 7,000+. Raiders are 8-5 in those 13.

It was the 9th game of 7,500+. Raiders are 5-4 in those 9.

Overall, this was the 8th highest crowd at Murphy Center under CKD. Only 7 games higher are WKU in 03-04, Tennessee in 08-09, Minnesota in 11-12, WKU in 12-13, Vanderbilt earlier this season, VCU last season, and UAB last season.

Interesting numbers, thanks! Seems like a big crowd once a season and another descent crowd. The rest are around 5K.

It's funny...Latech fans were complaining about the biased refs have towards UAB. They can't play that card anymore.

I've been to a lot of road games in my life as a Blue Raider fan, and it seems always the officiating favors the home team, without exception. It always seems that MT gets treated like the road team at home. Those officials were just the absolute worst. I thought going into this game that the officials were going to be whistle happy - as a result of the officials letting the latech uab game get to the point it did with a bench clearing semi brawl ending with multiple ejections. I didn't think latech would get every benefit of the doubt while MT players were suffering phantom foul calls like they had been the instigators, somehow, in birmingham.

I keep hoping, like I have for 47 years, to see a time when MT gets a a quality, honest and professional set of refs.

Kudos to our players and coaches for overcoming a five against eight mismatch. The latech site called their squad short-handed. The refs made up more than adequately for the loss of boykins to suspension.

The refs for the record last night were Kevin Mathis, Peter Juzenas, Rusty Phillips. I hope they choke on their whistles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
I've been to a lot of road games in my life as a Blue Raider fan, and it seems always the officiating favors the home team, without exception. It always seems that MT gets treated like the road team at home. Those officials were just the absolute worst. I thought going into this game that the officials were going to be whistle happy - as a result of the officials letting the latech uab game get to the point it did with a bench clearing semi brawl ending with multiple ejections. I didn't think latech would get every benefit of the doubt while MT players were suffering phantom foul calls like they had been the instigators, somehow, in birmingham.

I keep hoping, like I have for 47 years, to see a time when MT gets a a quality, honest and professional set of refs.

Kudos to our players and coaches for overcoming a five against eight mismatch. The latech site called their squad short-handed. The refs made up more than adequately for the loss of boykins to suspension.

The refs for the record last night were Kevin Mathis, Peter Juzenas, Rusty Phillips. I hope they choke on their whistles.
I think Massaro should write a letter to the conference office and have them review the game officials. It looked to me like they had some bucks floating on the outcome.

Officials are always going to be a gamble for a $#&-major school on Sat. when almost all schools are playing. The best officials are going to where the $$$s are and some leagues play more than others IIRC. All that said I do hope that even with mediocrity of officials neither side would have the majority of questionable calls go against them.

Officiating at MT has always been better for any day other than Sat. More, and better, officials are available on those dates. True at any level of college officiating except at "Power" conference schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT