ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (6-9) vs LaTech (10-6, 0-1), 8PM, Thursday, January 11, 2024

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Louisiana Tech

Enrollment: 11,612
Arena: Thomas Assembly Center (8,000)
Conference: Conference USA
Colors: Red & Blue Nickname: Bulldogs
Series: LaTech leads 13-5
Head Coach: Talvin Hester Record at School: 15-18 (2nd Season) Career Record: 15-18 (2nd Season)
2022-23 Record: 15-18, 7-13 22-23 Finish: 9th CUSA 22-23 Postseason: CUSA Quarterfinals
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 5/8
Roster: Bulldogs

TV: CBSSN
Radio: Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1 - WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Last edited:
Both teams have lost 4 out of their last five games, the Bulldogs lost those four by a total of 14 points, one in OT. MT's four losses were by a total of 74 points.

excerpt from a preseason preview:

THE X-FACTOR

Hester barely heard the phrase “X-Factor” before he chimed in with his biggest focus this offseason: defensive rebounding. He was thoroughly displeased with the Bulldogs’ effort in that department in 2022-23.

“We were one of the worst in our league at it (defensive rebounding) last year,” lamented Hester. “We gave teams second possessions and it killed us in close games. Our first shot defense was really good, but it’s not over until you get the ball.”

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bulldogs weren’t as bad as Hester recalls: they finished 165th in the country in defensive rebound rate and 5th in C-USA (KenPom) – middle of the pack in both. But considering how resolute he wants to be on that end, using every ounce of Windex to painstakingly clean the glass makes sense.

Batcho and Miller are obvious boosts here. Though different players – Batcho is longer and lithe, while Miller is stouter and more brutish – they will both fight on the boards. Turner, Ree and Crawford will do their parts, as well. The guards must also do their part before filling transition lanes.

The net result of Louisiana Tech’s roster makeover is bigger lineup options, and that should translate to the offensive glass as well. Again, this was not really a weakness last year, per se – the Bulldogs finished 129th nationally in offensive rebounding rate. Hester wants it to be a clear asset, though, meaning sending 2-3 guys to the glass on every shot and using length, physicality and athleticism to secure second shot opportunities.

ROSTER

# Player Position Listed Year MPG PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%3PT%

20Jordan CrawfordG6-3So.23.55.52.43.01.20.033.223.3
1Tahlik Chavez*G6-25th26.211.12.51.40.50.136.435.1
22Isaiah CrawfordF6-6R-Sr.29.813.75.32.71.90.749.542.0
5Jordan Turner*F6-8R-Sr.2.10.10.70.00.00.00.0
13Daniel Batcho*F6-11R-Jr.24.47.95.91.30.51.560.560.0
3Tyler Henry*G6-45th20.17.82.50.70.80.034.730.6
34Terri Miller Jr.F6-8Jr.
11Jaylin HendersonG6-3Jr.
4Sean Newman Jr.G6-1Jr.
0Devin Ree*F6-8So.4.20.90.60.00.10.229.418.2
2Dravon MangumF6-8R-5th22.67.23.80.60.60.142.737.1
14Will AllenF6-7R-So.12.72.72.60.10.30.068.5

Last edited:
Curious if there are any line up changes tonight, after so many straight weeks being freshman of the week, maybe its time to insert Loofe.

La Tech lost their conference opener to SHSU.

Liberty has started 0-2 in CUSA play.

I really hope the kids (and the coaches) see the opportunity in front of them. League is wide open. There's never been a better time to flush these first 15 games. Enter tonight with an 0-0 mentality.

That said, they have to learn from what got them to 6-9 and make the overdue changes. I think starting Jordan and Porter in the backcourt together is one of the changes they need but just haven't see the return from yet. Agree with Space, the next step is to start Loofe (though my hopes arent high that's what CNM will choose to do).

Despite entering league-play neck and neck with Liberty as the expected winner, La Tech has proven to be vulnerable (especially on the road which they've suffered all of their six losses). Their game vs SHSU was very tight across the box score, shooting splits were eerily similar. The biggest difference was the Bearkats winning the possession battle with the help of only 6 turnovers to Bulldog's 14. Middle HAS to do the same not just tonight, but for the rest of the season to turn it around. Less turnovers, more offensive rebounds.

Something Middle is going to have to do tonight that they havent been able to do all season is hit 3s. La Tech is 5th in the nation in 2p% defense. They arent going to get any easy buckets tonight, making it even more imperative to win the possession battle.

Lastly, I would like to see there be a larger emphasis on transition offense in the second half of the season. Middle ranks 353rd in pace this year. Its the first time a McDevitt team has been outside the top 200 in pace since he arrived in Murfreesboro. For a team that is starving for some cheap points, this would be a good starting spot. This is their first D1 game in 12 days, you would hope they would have the fresh legs to do so.

Not only is Loofe not starting. But Jacob Johnson back into the starting lineup for Jalen Jordan.

Hope you took the under.

Reactions: C-Bow
The boys look good on defense. Not so much on offense.......

Ogundele had a big knee brace on and crutches last game. Didn't look like someone who would be returning. Effort has been very good tonight. We are just a very bad offensive team. Porter and JCJ carried the team on offense tonight.

Hot garbage

The only positive that can come from this point forward is the firing of McDevitt. So whatever result is needed for that happen, that's what I'm cheering for.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
First game I’ve been to in 6+ years. Boys couldn’t even cover for me. But I know I was heard 😂
Was that you up in the corner yelling at the refs? If so, I heard ya! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: C-Bow
Louisiana Tech

Enrollment: 11,612
Arena: Thomas Assembly Center (8,000)
Conference: Conference USA
Colors: Red & Blue Nickname: Bulldogs
Series: LaTech leads 13-5
Head Coach: Talvin Hester Record at School: 15-18 (2nd Season) Career Record: 15-18 (2nd Season)
2022-23 Record: 15-18, 7-13 22-23 Finish: 9th CUSA 22-23 Postseason: CUSA Quarterfinals
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 5/8
Roster: Bulldogs

TV: CBSSN
Radio: Classic Hits 93.3 - 95.1 - WGNS 101.9 FM/1450 AM/100.5FM

Was that you up in the corner yelling at the refs? If so, I heard ya! 😂
Was most definitely me 😂

This wasn't a good team before Cam Weston went down. It was better than what we have now. If this team had some decent guard play from just more than one player at a time, it might be something I might enjoy watching. I have to go back to the days before Kermit arrived to recall a worse team.

Reactions: ewglenn
This wasn't a good team before Cam Weston went down. It was better than what we have now. If this team had some decent guard play from just more than one player at a time, it might be something I might enjoy watching. I have to go back to the days before Kermit arrived to recall a worse team.
True. Even before his injury we talked about how erratic & out of control Weston played. With a healthy Weston this team would have been lucky to win 13-14 games. Now probably won't make double digits in victory column.
In Kermit's 1st 9 years he only had 1 losing season, & it felt like a ton of 17-15 years before turning things around. By year 9 we were begging for him to be fired. Now & by year's end Nick will have his 4th losing season in just 6 years. It's making me miss some of Kermit's 17-15 squads.
Only thing of interest now is waiting to see if there will be any changes at the end of the year.

Reactions: ewglenn
He had four seasons right at the .500 mark out of those nine.

The other five were +5, +7, +4, +4, +5. The complaint was he only had one regular season title and no NCAA Tournaments, It was never bad under Kermit. It just wasn't great yet.

With this guy its just all been bad sans one fluke of a season.

He had four seasons right at the .500 mark out of those nine.

The other five were +5, +7, +4, +4, +5. The complaint was he only had one regular season title and no NCAA Tournaments, It was never bad under Kermit. It just wasn't great yet.

With this guy its just all been bad sans one fluke of a season.
I've been trying to get people to see just this. Thank you. Calling for McD now is not the same as when we called for CKD. I can understand patience to an extent for a few years. McD's record is far worse and has shown nothing to warrant patience in my book. Improvement isn't showing.

It is just like Stock. His peak was shown to be '18 and went down after. McD's peak was shown in '21. Just wait. By the end of the season he will have a losing record both overall (currently 21-24) and in conference (currently 11-10) since that CBI (not NCAA mind you) peak loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT