ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (13-7, 6-3) @ #21 FAU (19-1, 9-0), 6PM, Thursday, January 26, 2023

Too many silly turnovers doomed us. We also did not turn them over like we do most teams. They are a solid team but not unbeatable by us. The next match up in Murfreesboro should be much closer.

Didn't hurt FAU that the fouls were 17-9 and the free throw disparity was glaring.. I wouldn't have expected it to be equal but it wasn't because MTSU was fouling like crazy down the stretch to extend the game either.. not a good enough performance to win on the road against a good team

The FAU hype seems legit. They play good ball. Anybody else predict this of FAU the last couple of years? They put on a clinic of smart tough disciplined basketball. FAU should be called "Iceman." They play it cool and smart to wear you down waiting for you to make a mistake. Then they execute when those breakdowns occur. Impressive. MT could learn a few things from FAU. They play disciplined smart basketball where it is fairly apparent that the players and team as a whole stay focused and concentrate throughout, or what might otherwise be called locked-in.

In my opinion, MT's streaky shooting is in part related to focus and discipline in running the offense. Ironically, MT actually shot pretty darn good overall last night. It was the breakdowns of careless ball handling by MT that FAU seized upon and executed with tremendous precision that made a huge difference. Add FAU masterfully exploiting MT's defensive breakdowns that was a continuous problem for MT. Apparently, that is what FAU has been doing exceptionally well to climb into the top 25.

Lastly, it wasn't that FAU out-athlete-ed MT. It was that FAU goes deep with good quality athletes that, more importantly, play incredibly smart, focused, and disciplined basketball that leads them executing with precision their system and as a team as a whole. That is what is so frustrating for me as a MT fan. With the incredibly high level of athletes that CNM has brought in, they could be scary good if they played smart, focused, and disciplined basketball.

I think this was the big question mark when Nick was hired. We knew he could recruit but could he coach them to the highest level without hero ball?

I don’t feel like searching old threads but I’m more than positive that was brought up many times.

“CNM has brought in, they could be scary good if they played smart, focused, and disciplined basketball.”

I don't think Mcdevitt demands that they take of the ball. You don't see him taking players out of the game after stupid turnovers like Kermt Davis did. He seems to be ok putting up with a lot of turnovers.

Need some all conference quality guards on the squad, Hoped that we would have upgraded or just simply replaced Jefferson and Simms from last year. We have great athletes, but can not say we have great basketball players in the sense of playing smart.

Need some all conference quality guards on the squad, Hoped that we would have upgraded or just simply replaced Jefferson and Simms from last year. We have great athletes, but can not say we have great basketball players in the sense

I think this was the big question mark when Nick was hired. We knew he could recruit but could he coach them to the highest level without hero ball?

I don’t feel like searching old threads but I’m more than positive that was brought up many times.

“CNM has brought in, they could be scary good if they played smart, focused, and disciplined basketball.”
Exactly right. As much as CNM is a likable and great guy, it seems that sadly the evidence and results have been telling us the answer to that crucial key question.

Along the line of coaching hires here at MT. In all of MT history I think we only have had 2 coaches who figured out what it took to be truly successful here. 1 was in women's basketball. It took Stephany Smith a few years to get the players she wanted. But when she did, what great success. In the '03-'04 season along with the '04-'05 season she became our 1st coach to win back to back ncaa tournament games. Then she got lured away by the "my precious" golden ring of the SEC. On a side note it was Stephany's players Rick used to win his 1 ncaa game. He should have made the sweet 16 that year, but was out coached due to his over using a full court press. The opposing coach simply had players pass over the top for wide open breakaways all day. The other as we recently recall was Kermit. Bottom line they both fell into the same trap of bigger prestige. Of course the money was great, & there's certainly that. But in essence their time in the SEC has been that of total failure where their fan base hates them. If they only had hung around 3-4 more years who knows what kind of Hall of Fame careers could have been developed here at MT. I wonder if either of them occasionally look to the stars at night & wonder "what the hell was I thinking?"

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I wonder if either of them occasionally look to the stars at night & wonder "what the hell was I thinking?"
I don't think Stephany is coaching anymore. Probably burned out. Kermit only has to look at his bank account. I don't blame either for leaving. Money talks.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I don't think Stephany is coaching anymore. Probably burned out. Kermit only has to look at his bank account. I don't blame either for leaving. Money talks.
Kermit probably saw it as retirement back to home too in Mississippi.

Don't think it is going to end that way though.

ADVERTISEMENT