ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (13-5, 5-1) @ WKU (14-5, 6-0)(Stadium), 6PM, Saturday, January 20, 2018

After these next two FTs by WKU, they will have 27 attempts to our 10. Their a is keeping them in the game.

Yeah they seem to be giving them a ton of FT's here in the second half......Can't say I'm surprised. These amateur refs always seem to love to play up the home crowds.

brain dead...brain dead...brain dead....you give the lay up there, inbound the ball, and go shoot FT's at the other end

The stat of the game has to be holding WKU to 11% from 3, and Thompson not being able to find the ocean. Still winning despite WKU shooting 31 FT's was big.

King got it done for us tonight and was the best player on the court. It's scary to think where we'd be without him.

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
That’s an impressive bounce back win tonight. A road win in this situation is big time.

Stansbury’s teams are who they always are. 15+ years of the same letdowns. Glad I’m on the other side now.

That’s an impressive bounce back win tonight. A road win in this situation is big time.

Stansbury’s teams are who they always are. 15+ years of the same letdowns. Glad I’m on the other side now.

He clearly looked in over his head tonight. Kermit the much better coach. Always 1 step ahead.

Listening to the WKU postgame and Stansbury gives us no credit. Says most their turnovers are self inflicted, said King walked on his threes and say their was a bunch of no call fouls against them. What a joke.

Listening to the WKU postgame and Stansbury gives us no credit. Says most their turnovers are self inflicted, said King walked on his threes and say their was a bunch of no call fouls against them. What a joke.

Sounds like someone has a sore butthole.

DUB74sTX4AEd4v8.jpg

Good game tonight MT, King was unstoppable and just in a zone. Darius Thompson apparently was sick and was vomiting right before the game, he is the glue for our team and i think everybody noticed something was off with him . It started with him almost air balling those two free throws and he wasn’t even close on his shots all night, the pressure you guys applied kept the younger guards rattled all night and we never could get anything going. 13% from 3 with lose you a lot of games and that held true tonight. Hoping for a healthier point guard for the next game against you.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Good game tonight MT, King was unstoppable and just in a zone. Darius Thompson apparently was sick and was vomiting right before the game, he is the glue for our team and i think everybody noticed something was off with him . It started with him almost air balling those two free throws and he wasn’t even close on his shots all night, the pressure you guys applied kept the younger guards rattled all night and we never could get anything going. 13% from 3 with lose you a lot of games and that held true tonight. Hoping for a healthier point guard for the next game against you.

If he was so sick and ineffective why did yout coach leave him in the game? I think the pressure of wanting to beat his hometown team may have got to him.

Can we all just call it a hard fought battle....everyone has issues and no excuses. Both teams could have won, you all were cold but had 32 FT attempts that kept you in the game, MT had two many guys pass up shots and King had to get it done. You also have seen enough of us that we tend to frustrate teams, this is how we play, its called suffocating D, which almost lost us the game with the fouling.

I don't think it was a well played game but both teams fought very hard to win.

It is good to see MTvsWKU back to being an outstanding healthy rivalry. WKU had a great crowd for a great environment. That's really good for the conference as well.

Interesting about Thompson being sick. That pretty much explains it. I imagine the MT team knows how that feels. At the Christmas tournament in Hawaii, a stomach bug tore through the team right as they were preparing to play USC and Miami back to back. You know a sickness like that has to effect a player's performance. How could it not?

He clearly looked in over his head tonight. Kermit the much better coach. Always 1 step ahead.

It's the Stansbury way. Watched over a decade of this at Miss St and things you can cout on:

1. He will get your hope up with all the 4/5 star recruits he brings in.

2. His is a terrible in-game coach that while getting some big wins on talent alone, he will lose games that will leave you scratching your head.

3. Inevitable results: Team chemstry falls apart, multiple high level transfers, & underachieving results.

There is a reason MSU fans started calling him "the Recruiter" to mock all the 4/5 star guys he would get to inevitable crash in the postseason. A few bright moments, but always ended with disappointment.

If he was so sick and ineffective why did yout coach leave him in the game? I think the pressure of wanting to beat his hometown team may have got to him.
My assumption is that is the reason he played. Huge game, first place on the line, rivals, and against his hometown team. I would've had to be dying to not play in that game.

And he was sick. He was in CVS across the street from Diddle after the game getting Sprite, crackers, and soup. That plus the lack of energy in the game is all the evidence I need.

The joke is you cherry picking statements and not mentioning the praise he gave MTSU. He said multiple times you all are the best team in the conference, said King was a difference maker, and your zone caused us problems.

Also, we did have self-inflicted turnovers. Hell, we dribbler it off our foot three times. King DID walk on the last 25 foot prayer he made, and there were several calls/no-calls that were poor. I'm sure you guys feel the same way. That crew wasn't the best.

The joke is you cherry picking statements and not mentioning the praise he gave MTSU. He said multiple times you all are the best team in the conference, said King was a difference maker, and your zone caused us problems.

Also, we did have self-inflicted turnovers. Hell, we dribbler it off our foot three times. King DID walk on the last 25 foot prayer he made, and there were several calls/no-calls that were poor. I'm sure you guys feel the same way. That crew wasn't the best.

He says were the best team and then contradicts it with a bunch of statements and excuses why you guys lost.

King did not walk. Watched it several times.

You guys had way more calls go your way, as the home team usually does, which is to be expected. Look at all the amount of free throws you guys shot vs us for goodness sake.

He says were the best team and then contradicts it with a bunch of statements and excuses why you guys lost.

King did not walk. Watched it several times.

You guys had way more calls go your way, as the home team usually does, which is to be expected. Look at all the amount of free throws you guys shot vs us for goodness sake.

I don't think that's contradicting anything. We did commit a lot of unforced turnovers. That is correctable and in a close game will cost you. Look, we were completely passive against the 1-3-1. Did not attack at all. That stems from two things. One, MT is very good at disrupting things in the 1-3-1. Two, Thompson is our attacker and for whatever reason he was completely non-existent last night. Maybe it was sickness, maybe nerves, maybe MT's defense or a combo of them all. But he played his worst game in a WKU uniform and it was especially noticeable when you guys went 1-3-1.

As for the free throw disparity, we've heard those comments all year. Stanz preaches defense without fouling and getting to the stripe at the other end. We've made more FT's than other teams have attempted by a wide margin on the season. It is a planned part of our attack. The officiating did not decide the game. I felt it was a poorly called game on both ends, but it was not a factor in the outcome. King hit TOUGH shots every time you needed a bucket. Those are winning plays and is why MT pulled it out.

The gist of the article seems to be pretty close to the target. Some of the supporting facts are inaccurate.

With the new RPI weighting system that actually might benefit non P5 teams, MT's loss at Marshall should not be a "bad loss." Under the last year's or the old system, the Marshall loss would have been a "bad loss." Under the new system, group 2 away game goes to RPI of 130 as the cutoff. At the Marshall = 124 at the time the article reports puts the game just inside group 2.

Speaking of Marshall, their big winning weekend homestand saw them make a huge jump in the RPI. Marshall moved up 45.

It looks like C-USA now has 4 teams in the top 100. MT, WKU, ODU, and Marshall. A couple of the RPI rankings I peruse have MT at 22 or 23.

On a somewhat related note, Murray St is just a couple slots outside of the RPI 100. If Murray can climb just a few slots, that could add another Top 100 win to MT's totals. Again, it should already be weighted as a good win since it was on the road. Into the top 100 helps the media highlights on the resume and in the media March Madness debates.

As for the free throw disparity, we've heard those comments all year. Stanz preaches defense without fouling and getting to the stripe at the other end.

I showed this quote to some of my fellow Miss St grads. They wanted to know if bizarro Stansbury is coaching in Bowling Green.

We have over a decade plus of evidence that is not the Stanz way.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT