ADVERTISEMENT

Message from Chris to BRAA Members

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021

Dear BRAA Members,

We have been focused recently on the Blue Raiders’ remarkable run as Conference USA regular and tournament champions, notching 30 wins and reaching the second round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament. As such, not wanting to distract, I waited until the end of their run before sending this note to you about our men’s basketball program.

Nick McDevitt and I are engaged daily on the men’s basketball program and how we can push it to greater heights. Everyone involved in the program is disappointed in our final results this season including myself, the University administration, the coaching staff, and the players. Despite high expectations, we certainly did not perform to our aspirations. Our team changed abruptly when we lost our preseason all-CUSA point guard Cam Weston to a torn ACL. Then, a few weeks later, we lost another member in our top-eight rotation, center Josh Ogundele, to a knee injury. These injuries caused a significant number of players to change their roles mid-season.

These adjustments took longer than anyone would have liked. But, by February, we were among the top tier of teams in our conference. However, our inconsistencies and depth issues were still on display in the conference tournament. We played an excellent game to beat LA Tech which had the highest NET rating in the conference. In the semifinals, we had a very disappointing result versus Western Kentucky and did not play championship-level basketball.

I am excited about next year under Coach McDevitt and his staff. I have reviewed, and I am enthusiastic about our coach’s plan for improvement. We have a strong nucleus of players returning, a good recruiting plan with a mix of JUCO, transfers, and high school student-athletes to shore up our weaknesses. This staff is keenly aware of our needs, and this familiarity gives us the best chance to fix our deficiencies. This offseason is key to establishing the foundation for the results we all desire next season.

We saw some very good things in a season that delivered below our expectations. We can build on the fact our team showed dramatic improvement, fought through adversity and several players showed tremendous individual improvement. I invite everyone to get behind Nick and this staff during this recruiting period to establish the foundation for an outstanding year.

Thank you for your support of our men’s basketball program. We appreciate all you do!

Go Blue Raiders!

Chris Massaro
Director of Athletics”

Excuse Me No GIF by Desus & Mero

Our team changed abruptly when we lost our preseason all-CUSA point guard Cam Weston to a torn ACL. Then, a few weeks later, we lost another member in our top-eight rotation, center Josh Ogundele, to a knee injury. These injuries caused a significant number of players to change their roles mid-season.
I knew he was going to use this weak ass excuse if he said anything. Teams all over the country lost key players. It happens. It always happens. And it will happen in the future. Even with Cam this team wasn't going anywhere. Good grief the blowing smoke up people's rear ends. If you're going to say something - which he should - just be straight instead of trying to sugar coat everything.

These adjustments took longer than anyone would have liked. But, by February, we were among the top tier of teams in our conference.
No, we weren't. How many times did MT analytically post at 362 - worst in the nation performance after conference play started? This is utter nonsense.

I am excited about next year under Coach McDevitt and his staff. I have reviewed, and I am enthusiastic about our coach’s plan for improvement. We have a strong nucleus of players returning, a good recruiting plan with a mix of JUCO, transfers, and high school student-athletes to shore up our weaknesses.

Why? This is completely ridiculous. In six years, there's barely been a single thing to be excited about and you're going to be excited now? Has Massaro and McPhee not been watching the games for the past six years?? Oh and three of those returners have already left. It's clear I'm on a different planet than these people. I seriously give up.

So, is this a $hit or get off the pot year coming up for CNM? Is he going into the last year of a contract which has NOT been extended?

Jeez, who could have seen this coming ?

So, is this a $hit or get off the pot year coming up for CNM? Is he going into the last year of a contract which has NOT been extended?
This is my question. Do I agree with keeping him next year, no.

But I can live with making this a make it or break it year, light a fire under his hind end.....but....if he was extended with the body of evidence available, I'm gonna be royally ticked.

But I can live with making this a make it or break it year, light a fire under his hind end.....but....if he was extended with the body of evidence available, I'm gonna be royally ticked.

I wonder if the old adage of fire him or extend him still applies with one year left.

You used to be forced to pick up the extension or the guy wouldn't be able to recruit.

But with what college athletics has become, players are basically one year guys anyway, so it's not like you have to sell a kid on a coach being there all 4 years.

But what’s the moving target next year? Does he get another pass with more injuries? Is it a success if we go above .500 in year 7, 20 wins, or does he have to make the NCAA/NIT? Massaro just makes it up as he goes because he does not demand championships. There is no pursuit of excellence. He literally made excuses for his coach so he doesn’t have to hold him accountable for his own stated metric.

I give him credit for at least saying something. I think it’s the wrong decision.

Boasting your one of the top teams in this conference is like boasting your the smartest kid on the short bus. At least when Kermit's teams sucked he was man enough to say it and not treat the fanbase like were idiots

So let me ask, if they were waiting until after wbb was finished, to address the situation in any way at all, is that going to be the rule going forward? I mean there are schools naming their new coaches now, Is this administration always going to be bringing up the rear when it is clear that change is much needed and the portal is wide open. I mean the early bird gets the worm.

I have the feeling that the situation is not going to improve much at all next season.

Disappointing but not surprised. Sounds like a do or die season for NMD. Though a bit of bright side for this Message Board is we get a bonus year of Ring-A-Ling.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Massaro said it himself "establish the foundation..." What is an established foundation? I believe from the administration's perspective that would represent any win total over 13 which was last year's total. I imagine that 14 will be CNM's magic number for next year for a reestablished future foundation.

I don’t agree with the move but I can at least respect that he said something. I started to think about it a few days ago and I think this is a little bit of a fluff piece. I think there are two main drivers here. Football is in a rebuild mode right now with a lot of attention focused there. I would be willing to bet Chris doesn’t want to take attention away from football to try and figure out MBB right now. Secondly, I think they are not wanting to dish out additional money in buyouts if they don’t have to because of Build Blue. Nick is under contract through next season and even though the buyout is modest, having to pay any amount right now is probably not what they want to do. We do have a solid team on paper coming back next season. They probably want to see what happens and give football some time to be the only major focus for the AD. I don’t agree with it, and a D1 AD should be able to balance those types of things but that is my opinion on what’s going on. At a minimum, I’m glad he addressed the elephant in the room and it seems they are trying to be more transparent with the fans. I’m happy with that even though I disagree with him.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Boasting your one of the top teams in this conference is like boasting your the smartest kid on the short bus. At least when Kermit's teams sucked he was man enough to say it and not treat the fanbase like were idiots
I knew after the way he and Stock spun those extra three years for the first time, for “foregoing” an unearned bonus, that they thought we were idiots. The only idiots in the room are whoever approved that deal 9 years ago.

Right now, CM is doing someone else’s bidding just to keep his job for as long as he can until retirement.

Maybe Jake can ask CM what the benchmark is for keeping CNM. Is it 14 wins? Is it a conference championship? What if we start 1 and 8? Would he be shitcanned in the middle of the season or will he have the entire season to prove yet again he is a failure?
Come on Jake. Pin him down.

But what’s the moving target next year? Does he get another pass with more injuries? Is it a success if we go above .500 in year 7, 20 wins, or does he have to make the NCAA/NIT? Massaro just makes it up as he goes because he does not demand championships. There is no pursuit of excellence. He literally made excuses for his coach so he doesn’t have to hold him accountable for his own stated metric.

I give him credit for at least saying something. I think it’s the wrong decision.
That's why I'm not AD. Two seasons in a row or two in three of under 20 wins and you'd be gone. To me, it's championship (tourney not regular) or he's gone. But I dare say any sort of improvement, like a winning record at all, and he'll be extended. I don't agree at all.
Maybe Jake can ask CM what the benchmark is for keeping CNM. Is it 14 wins? Is it a conference championship? What if we start 1 and 8? Would he be shitcanned in the middle of the season or will he have the entire season to prove yet again he is a failure?
Come on Jake. Pin him down.
While it would be nice, CM won't ever say that publicly. It would be asking for trouble just as it did with Brian Ferentz at Iowa. I think CM could say though what he views as a successful season. Does he need a foundation and building blocks now with the portal or does he believe a coach can win instantly?

I'm of the mind with the portal now that if a coach in FB or BB especially can't win a championship by year 3, 4 tops, they aren't gonna win one at all. The only season that a losing record is even near acceptable is the first. It's why I say a bowl would be an accomplishment for Mason. Next year, a bowl is a minimum expectation, not an accomplishment.

Insell has won a conference tournament 9 times in 19yrs. One nearly every other year. Don't tell me it can't be done in Men's too when all I'm asking for is one every 3-4 yrs.

I can’t believe he tried to spin the injury thing. I’ve never seen an administration make so many excuses for their coach’s poor performance.

Little Middle is running a humanitarian organization, retirement community, and creating a safe space for failure while everyone else is operating businesses, striving to win, and building programs.

We literally operate our athletics program like an “overdose prevention center” where the illegal drugs are intentionally given by the state.

So let me ask, if they were waiting until after wbb was finished, to address the situation in any way at all, is that going to be the rule going forward?

I do not believe Massaro waited until after women’s basketball finished to address the McDevitt situation. Chris procrastinated publicly addressing McDevitt’s status until he ran out of reasons to do so, or he had no intention of saying anything until department staffers convinced him he had to saying something. His statement includes excuses, lacks data-driven results, and includes a falsehood. There is no logic behind the idea that he cannot address men’s basketball in a letter while the women are still playing. He could have pinned this letter before our ladies traveled to Baton Rouge if he believed it would distract from the lady Raiders. My gut tells me this letter exists because athletic department staffers managed up and persuaded Chris into saying something.

I knew after the way he and Stock spun those extra three years for the first time, for “foregoing” an unearned bonus, that they thought we were idiots. The only idiots in the room are whoever approved that deal 9 years ago.

Right now, CM is doing someone else’s bidding just to keep his job for as long as he can until retirement.
Stock and his agent (if he had one) must have thought they had hit the lottery after that original extension after '09. Why you'd set winning 6 games as a bench mark when you just won 10 games tell you all you need to know about this athletic department.

Any program that is successful at MT do so in spite of the AD, not bc of it. Dr. Walker would have dropped this bum years ago

Why can't they come out and just admit that bad decisions have landed us in this predicament. Any goodwill canning our old coach and his staff has just been shattered.

I don't support this at all but I hope that Nick can turn it around. Men's sports is in the worst shape I have ever seen.

TSU board just got nuked by the state government over the mishandling of funds over many years. Tell me how different the management of our sports teams and coaches are to TSU.

Millions of dollars.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT