UNIVERSITY NEWS Master Plan draft includes renovation to Floyd, IPF

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
dnj

excerpts:

Proposals for an expanded Floyd Stadium, a new performing arts center along East Main Street and new student housing in place of Womack Lane Apartments are all part of a draft campus master plan for Middle Tennessee State University presented for comments Tuesday night.

The master plan, expected to guide the university's physical planning as enrollment grows in the next 10 to 15 years, is still subject to revisions and considerations and will not be finalized until summer 2016....

...The south side of Floyd Stadium would be expanded while an indoor football facility would be built alongside existing outdoor practice fields, according to the proposal....

I believe this is the most current master plan (2009)

mtsu_camplan_approved_maste.jpg

Basically they are talking about the expanding the upper deck around? Not needed and the article says its not funded so this is really a "dream" list.

The Master Plan for universities is often a "if everything goes right and we explode onto the national scene" plan. It's a pipe dream. Unless MT starts rattling off several 9 or 10 win seasons in a row (with bowl wins), there won't be a need to expand Floyd

Anybody see the article in MT Sidelines about the new Greek Life Coordinator at MT

I'd say it more than a dream, 'more what you'd call guidelines'

A road map for what they expect to happen with new projects

Basically they are talking about the expanding the upper deck around? Not needed and the article says its not funded so this is really a "dream" list.

This is a photo from the news page of the dnj on line. It looks to be more the end zone facility I have heard/read that they want than an expansion of seating with an upper deck. Looks like the size of it requires a Faulkenberry rerouting just a little south of where it is now just south of the scoreboard.

master%20plan%20update%202016_zpsngol5ybi.jpg

Last edited:
I would much rather use that money and improve what we have...not expand. More chairs with backs, improved façade, etc.

Maybe I am looking at this totally wrong, but to me it looks like they will be removing seats on the south end and make the stadium a horseshoe. The improvements would be a football facility at that south end that includes all the football offices and equipment storage and probably locker room and weight room. It would probably include some suites that face the field at the upper level but overall it would reduce our seating capacity. They would renovate the current weight room on the north end for whatever they need or leave it for the other programs to use. Then the IPF is attached to the current weight room and beside the outdoor practice fields that are in place now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT