ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Mason meets with team

They accidently posted the original video where Mason gave out his phone number to the team. He still has a 650 area code. And I have our HC's number now. If I need to ask any questions for us I got us covered, LOL

They accidently posted the original video where Mason gave out his phone number to the team. He still has a 650 area code. And I have our HC's number now. If I need to ask any questions for us I got us covered, LOL
Same 🤣

Poor guy, hopefully no bozo's got it who might actually do something inappropriate.

• Haha
Reactions: RaiderDeez
Initial thoughts on the meeting

I really like the respect he showed to the current players and coaches. Much different than a Deion meeting where he basically was telling the team they were trash and to leave. Mason‘s approach was much more professional and I think will build that trust he spoke of and a good place.

Some things were a little weird/rambling that I don’t really know where he was going. Not a lot of substance in it overall. Be honest was like a 3 minute part, but what is that about? The answers are in the room. Huh? I’m looking at you in the eye comment - uhhh okay? Are we going to talk football or next steps at all?

I do like the energy. Does anyone think Stock was having meetings like that? I picture his meetings as being boring and people not paying Attention.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Tend to agree. Not a ton of substance but overall good vibes and energy. I would have liked to hear a little more detail about his overall plan. Even just touching on subjects like defense, offense, special teams....are we gonna be aggressive ? Are we gonna establish the run ? Are we gonna snap the ball every 12 seconds ? (This is what Walden said at his press conference) etc.

Maybe he doesn't know yet. It's still very early. Hopefully a few players in the portal (the good ones) will reconsider. If they really don't want to be here though, then peace. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Really hoping he retains Royston and maybe Shane Tucker. Guess we'll see.

Curious to see how many transfer portal casualties we end up with. Hundreds of kids every year are getting left with nowhere to go because they think the portal is the answer, or they just go ride the bench somewhere they perceive to be better. It's unfortunate. Only a few actually transfer and do anything meaningful. But every year so many jump in the portal thinking the grass is greener.....

Initial thoughts on the meeting

I really like the respect he showed to the current players and coaches. Much different than a Deion meeting where he basically was telling the team they were trash and to leave. Mason‘s approach was much more professional and I think will build that trust he spoke of and a good place.

Some things were a little weird/rambling that I don’t really know where he was going. Not a lot of substance in it overall. Be honest was like a 3 minute part, but what is that about? The answers are in the room. Huh? I’m looking at you in the eye comment - uhhh okay? Are we going to talk football or next steps at all?

I do like the energy. Does anyone think Stock was having meetings like that? I picture his meetings as being boring and people not paying Attention.
Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said he was terrible at the press conference and interview when at Vandy. That part hasn’t gotten better. He’s a cliche king and speaks in riddles. Just me here be it lacks authenticity. They sound good but do they have substance (and then some of the stuff he said didn’t sound good. It was downright bizarre). His approach is tug on your emotional side instead of your rational side. Again, personally just not a fan of that but if he can get players to sign, get people to show up, and win FB games then I don’t care about any of that.

Maybe that’s the way for communicating with youth today? I don’t know. It doesn’t work for me and never would have in my younger days either.

It fascinates me not a single media person or any of the players asked him about his coaching philosophy. How he’s going to operate. What type of offense does he plan to run. Does he plan to use the same types of defensive philosophies he used previously or has he evolved? Hopefully our administrators asked that or were they just wooed by his cliches and riddles?

Tend to agree. Not a ton of substance but overall good vibes and energy. I would have liked to hear a little more detail about his overall plan. Even just touching on subjects like defense, offense, special teams....are we gonna be aggressive ? Are we gonna establish the run ? Are we gonna snap the ball every 12 seconds ? (This is what Walden said at his press conference) etc.

Maybe he doesn't know yet. It's still very early. Hopefully a few players in the portal (the good ones) will reconsider. If they really don't want to be here though, then peace. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Really hoping he retains Royston and maybe Shane Tucker. Guess we'll see.

Curious to see how many transfer portal casualties we end up with. Hundreds of kids every year are getting left with nowhere to go because they think the portal is the answer, or they just go ride the bench somewhere they perceive to be better. It's unfortunate. Only a few actually transfer and do anything meaningful. But every year so many jump in the portal thinking the grass is greener.....
As usual we were thinking the same thing

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said he was terrible at the press conference and interview when at Vandy. That part hasn’t gotten better. He’s a cliche king and speaks in riddles. Just me here be it lacks authenticity. They sound good but do they have substance (and then some of the stuff he said didn’t sound good. It was downright bizarre). His approach is tug on your emotional side instead of your rational side. Again, personally just not a fan of that but if he can get players to sign, get people to show up, and win FB games then I don’t care about any of that.

Maybe that’s the way for communicating with youth today? I don’t know. It doesn’t work for me and never would have in my younger days either.

It fascinates me not a single media person or any of the players asked him about his coaching philosophy. How he’s going to operate. What type of offense does he plan to run. Does he plan to use the same types of defensive philosophies he used previously or has he evolved? Hopefully our administrators asked that or were they just wooed by his cliches and riddles?

My first impression of Coach Mason is a coach attempting to build reassurance. For the most part, his words sounds good. However, I didn't hear much about urgency and clear definitive goals--felt these needed to be communicated as matter of fact or "non-negotiable". Seemed like he wanted to "meet and greet" and be friendly more than establish working sessions of mentoring in the immediate future. Didn't expect him to be like Deion Sanders, Nick Saban, or a Lou Holtz type, but did expect him to sound more authoritative with a "let's get to business" tone (besides using "blue-collar" terminology). One statement that's bothersome was he praised/acknowledged CRS legacy to the point answers can be found within the room/building and nonverbal communication suggested desire to build directly from the platform CRS built (over the last 18 years). Seemed a bit of an endorsement in this reference.

Think it was a missed opportunity not to communicate basic philosophy other than his one cardinal rule of "Don't lie to me--tell the truth". Am glad he will be there for players, but knowing his prior Vanderbilt record, it remains to be seen if this translates to a championship contender within three years. Too early to make a concrete judgement, but think we know early whether this laid-back approach will work or not. Cliches and riddles will get stale if MT has a losing season in 2024 and definitely reflect a worrisome trend by 2025.

Better be some urgency to get some players on defense. After graduation and the portal transfers our entire defense and half the 2 deep is gone.

We literally don't have a defense right now.

Reactions: Hop45
What was with the comment if I cant trust you during the week, I can’t trust you on Saturday? It’s not like this team has a lot of off the field issues. I guess he’s trying to say do the work? Again overallcame across like a nice guy, but sure didn’t clarify anything really about his plan.

Holla at yah boy!

What was with the comment if I cant trust you during the week, I can’t trust you on Saturday? It’s not like this team has a lot of off the field issues. I guess he’s trying to say do the work? Again overallcame across like a nice guy, but sure didn’t clarify anything really about his plan.

Holla at yah boy!
Yea I would think so. If you arent hitting the gym and giving it your all in practice, then he cant trust you on a Sat to suddenly turn it on and buy in. Makes complete sense to me.

I think he's the guy we needed, for now anyways.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT