ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Bodie Reeder is our new OC

Found this on the Utah State site when he was there. Part of a Q and A article.

Q: What can Aggie fans expect to see from the offense this fall?

Reeder: First of all, it'll be different. We're not going to go as fast. We're going to go fast, but not as often. We'll have the ability to change speeds, I guess is the way to put it. We're still going to be up-tempo, but have the ability to put the brakes on. We'll probably use more tight ends than what they had used last year. I have a lot of respect for what coach (Mike) Sanford did. I have met coach Sanford and studied with him. I can only do what I know, and hopefully, we'll be fun to watch.”

Found this on the Utah State site when he was there. Part of a Q and A article.

Q: What can Aggie fans expect to see from the offense this fall?

Reeder: First of all, it'll be different. We're not going to go as fast. We're going to go fast, but not as often. We'll have the ability to change speeds, I guess is the way to put it. We're still going to be up-tempo, but have the ability to put the brakes on. We'll probably use more tight ends than what they had used last year. I have a lot of respect for what coach (Mike) Sanford did. I have met coach Sanford and studied with him. I can only do what I know, and hopefully, we'll be fun to watch.”
That is the definition of what CDM has said he wants.

I've said before, I'm good with that. You need some TEs for short yardage and RBs as well. I've never understood lining up in shotgun for 4th and Goal from the 1.

With a good OL you can allow your QB to go through his progressions and often the TE can be the checkdown. We've just rarely had an OL that allowed for the QB to do all his reads. I'd rather gain 5 on 1st down from a checkdown than 2 or 3 from a QB hurry from pressure.

UNI's offense was good to watch. They didn't have a defense so it was tough on their O and the QB forced a lot of plays but they did put like 24 on NDSU and was ranked during the season so....

I do like his play selection. I love varied tempo. With size and position, we can give our D a fair chance by not running 35-45 second drives. That alone makes us potentially better than we were. It'll be a rough start probably but I like what he's doing. I was so against Mason when he was hired but he's doing everything I wished Stack would have done. One thing Vandy did well from 15-18 was run the ball. Ralph Webb was a superstar with Mason and the Illinois kid as well. they ran all over us those years. LOL.

We shall see.

UNI's offense was good to watch. They didn't have a defense so it was tough on their O and the QB forced a lot of plays but they did put like 24 on NDSU and was ranked during the season so....

I do like his play selection. I love varied tempo. With size and position, we can give our D a fair chance by not running 35-45 second drives. That alone makes us potentially better than we were. It'll be a rough start probably but I like what he's doing. I was so against Mason when he was hired but he's doing everything I wished Stack would have done. One thing Vandy did well from 15-18 was run the ball. Ralph Webb was a superstar with Mason and the Illinois kid as well. they ran all over us those years. LOL.

We shall see.
Who didn't run all over us before Shafer? Ha! Good point though.

Coaching History:
2022- pres. - Northern Iowa - Offensive Coordinator/QB
2021 - Auburn - Offensive Quality Control
2020 – Utah State – Offensive Coordinator/QB
2019 – North Texas – Offensive Coordinator/QB
2017-18 – Eastern Washington – Off. Coordinator/QB
2014-16 – Oklahoma State – Offensive Quality Control
2011-13 – Wisconsin-Stout – Off. Coordinator/QB
2010 – Eastern Illinois – Defensive GA

Bowl Games (3):
Oklahoma State (3) – Alamo, 2016; Sugar, 2015; Cactus, 2014

FCS Playoffs (2):
Eastern Washington (1) – FCS National Championship Game, 2018
Northern Iowa (1) - First Round, 2021

Conference Championships (1):
Eastern Washington (1) – Big Sky, 2018

Can't wait to see the official stats (height & weight) of our offensive line for next year. Great to hear that tight end will play a roll. We had a pretty effective one last year. He was a bit light for a TE, but had excellent hands. Hopefully we can put another 15-20 pounds on him.

Looks like Royston is still listed on the roster. I hope this means Mason is keeping him. He’s been a great recruiter for us since arriving.

Reactions: C-Bow
I asked UNT fans about him and they said he didn’t work out there which is why he was only there one season. Said he was so bad running the offense and play calling that Seth Littrell had to take over play calling duties in the second half of the season. And that all everything QB Mason Fine had his worst year with Reeder has his coach.

UNI was only middle of the FCS in scoring offense at 26 pts per game. For perspective in our 4 win season we averaged 24. Last year 27.

So, we aren't any worse than we were then. Let's go. UNT had a sh!t ton of issues. Littrell was hard to work for so the leash was tight. chemistry is everything and no coach is perfect. Honestly, we don't have to score a lot and quickly if we control the LOS and run clock. UNT snapped the ball every 12 seconds. That's not Reeder's expertise so that's another reason it was a bad fit. We'll see.

UNI put like 27 points up on NDSU last season. That would be like 67 on FIU and LaTech so I'm ok with it.

I asked UNT fans about him and they said he didn’t work out there which is why he was only there one season. Said he was so bad running the offense and play calling that Seth Littrell had to take over play calling duties in the second half of the season. And that all everything QB Mason Fine had his worst year with Reeder has his coach.

UNI was only middle of the FCS in scoring offense at 26 pts per game. For perspective in our 4 win season we averaged 24. Last year 27.
You bring up some good points. Valid points. I'm wiling to give him a pass on 2020 when the offense was atrocious at UNT for a couple of reasons :

1) Alignment : Littrell is part of the Air Raid tree. Reeder is not. At some point, the difference in philosophies was going to create some friction.
2) Schedule : He played in the SEC of the FCS level. Going up against SDSU / NDSU / YSU is going to affect some things (in the same way USC Jr is going to be affected by playing Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee every year).
3) Reeder had some success elsewhere.

There were other names I probably would have called, but Reeder is going to have MT in 2 TE and 2 RB either (and that was a HUGE concern of mine when CDM was hired).

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

We can only hope his better days are ahead and he can take all those past experiences and apply them to a more successful future. Sometimes failing is the best thing that can happen to somebody. It's all about how you learn from it and adjust.

The play calling and game planning is not what worries me most about this hire/offense. Being able to recruit players good enough to successfully run a pro style offense will be a daunting task at a place like Middle Tennessee. I'll be tickled pink if Mason can pull it off, because there is nothing more gratifying than physically dominating your opponent. And that's what you have to be able to do with a pro style offense. At the very least, break even at the LOS.

We can all be hopeful that it turns out well. I’m cautiously optimistic based on his resume which is a little concerning. Looks like in about the last 10 years he has bounced around, mostly never staying longer than one year. I would give that a pass if he progressively moved up in terms of better schools, but I don’t see that while being an OC.

I’m a little worried here that he hasn’t progressed or been stable, but definitely hoping for the best.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
We can only hope his better days are ahead and he can take all those past experiences and apply them to a more successful future. Sometimes failing is the best thing that can happen to somebody. It's all about how you learn from it and adjust.

The play calling and game planning is not what worries me most about this hire/offense. Being able to recruit players good enough to successfully run a pro style offense will be a daunting task at a place like Middle Tennessee. I'll be tickled pink if Mason can pull it off, because there is nothing more gratifying than physically dominating your opponent. And that's what you have to be able to do with a pro style offense. At the very least, break even at the LOS.
Recruiting to a pro style offense can be a challenge at a place like MT. Reeders offense is multiple so that should help, but like the AirRaid, MT needs to get OL right

Reactions: ewglenn
We will see how it plays out. It may work or it might not. One thing I do like is he seems hungry to move up. He isn’t afraid to take risk. He has a lot of experience as an OC. None of us know exactly how it will play out but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Coaching History (OC in bold):
2022-23. - Northern Iowa - Offensive Coordinator/QB

We will see how it plays out. It may work or it might not. One thing I do like is he seems hungry to move up. He isn’t afraid to take risk. He has a lot of experience as an OC. None of us know exactly how it will play out but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Coaching History (OC in bold):
2022-23. - Northern Iowa - Offensive Coordinator/QB

Maybe he is hungry, but I don’t see him as proving he can move up. Exposure at Auburn and OKS are nice, but he wasn’t even a position coach, nor was he able to parlay those into a job at a bigger program.

When I look at his resume, I see a guy bouncing around middle to lower programs on one year stops mostly and hasn’t ever “moved” up after a 10+ year career. In coaching that is a little concerning for me. If you really break it down OKS for 3 years and couldn’t get a coaching position? And his next stop is E.Michigan, hmm okay? We heard NTX was a disaster, then one year at UTS (fired or not retained perhaps?), lands at Auburn again in a non coaching position and parlays that to N. Iowa. Okay? It’s not a compelling resume to me, but this is MT so I get it.

However I am hopeful this is where it all comes together. We all want him to succeed so I’m behind him, but not sure about his potential success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT