ADVERTISEMENT

Major changes to NCAA non-revenue sports?

Brew_Raider

True Blue
Oct 31, 2015
If these changes pass, could MT fully fund current scholarship capped sports (baseball, softball).

Does these lead to D1 splits for these sports like football?

I will add, under this plan D1 schools could offer 35 scholarships for baseball instead of 11.7. Same for softball.

No cap on the number of assistant coaches for these sports. Now there are 2 fully paid assistants. I’m sure conferences might cap, but interesting what this could do.

I think this pushes P5 schools farther away from G5.

This all started when the NCAA gave up control (primarily media rights) to conferences and in one case (Notre Dame) to individual schools. Once the conferences realized they had autonomy greed took over and now here we are. The cat's out of the bag and there just ain't no putting her back.

The power conferences can fund fully BB, Softball, T & F, gymnastics, swimming, wrestling, field hockey, bowling and and every other damn sport to whatever extent they wish from TV revenue. (Guess you saw that VU just added softball). Wouldn't surprise me to see some schools having a private pro coach for every golfer and tennis player.

I've already pulled back my MT fandom (as noted in another thread) and IMHO it won't be long before I'm out completely. Once the March Madness sticking point is overcome by the power schools it will be over for me since I've often stated that once MT no longer competes in men's BkB at the highest level I'm out. It's coming.

A small bit of schadenfreude if this passes. Vandy will lose their recruiting advantage in baseball and fall back to the middle of the pack. They will be back to the cellar then after Corbin retires.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT