ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Let's just say MT runs the table and loses in CUSAT final

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Do you think MT sneaks in? Gut says no but I think they could definitely make the argument.

Play-in?

Do you think MT sneaks in? Gut says no but I think they could definitely make the argument.

Play-in?

It may well depend on who we get in the conference tournament games. If we go by current placement as seeding and assuming highest seeds win we would draw La Tech and Marshall. Have to assume ODU or wkcc will come from the other side of the bracket. La Tech would actually be a good draw, because they have a decent record but has struggled in conference. Of course they will come with a big risk too.

So, with that said we are currently projected to lose one of our final regular season games, so if I plug in Tech, Marshall and an ODU loss in the finals our RPI would be about 21. That wold be tied for the highest snub ever.

If we actually win out and play Tech, Marshall and lose to ODU in the finals our RPI would project to be around 14. I don't think we could be left out in that scenario. Perhaps our performance the last two years subconsciously improves our stock? We would be 27-6 with a top 20 RPI. Of course I didn't think there was any way we would miss last year either but it's clear with the seeding we were not getting an at large last year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
If western can win out with everyone but us thenthat would make them a top 50 RPI I believe. That gives us 2 top 50 wins. Likely have ole miss, Murray, old dominion in the top 100. So 3 top 100 wins and 2 top 50. Sounds like a decent resume to me.

If we win out, our RPI will be 15-17...so I think we would be a lock to be in the NCAA. Honestly I don't think we will need to make the championship game but I don't want to chance it.

I think it will be VERY difficult to win both games next week.

Congrats on a great season so far. It really is amazing to see your team doing so well year after year after year. If you run the table then lose to a team like Western Kentucky or Old Dominion in the conference finals I believe you will still get in. Your toughest game clearly will be beating Western Kentucky again but you will be at home.

Anything less than winning out to the finals before losing then you may not get in though you certainly should.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
If western can win out with everyone but us thenthat would make them a top 50 RPI I believe. That gives us 2 top 50 wins. Likely have ole miss, Murray, old dominion in the top 100. So 3 top 100 wins and 2 top 50. Sounds like a decent resume to me.

NCAA no longer looks at RPI as top 50 and top 100 wins. They now use a quadrant system.

Currently you are 1-3 vs quad 1 and 4-1 vs quad 2.

The new system puts more weight on winning road games and less on home wins.

Quad 1 games are vs 1-30 RPI at home, 1-50 RPI neutral site, 1-75 road games.

Quad 2 games are vs 31-75 RPI at home, 51-100 neutral and 76-135 road.

Western Kentucky is currently RPI 55 so you need them to stay in the top 75 to hold that quad 1 win but you can't get another quad 1 win until conf tournament with your remaining games but if Old Dominion can inch their way up from 81 RPI to 75 you would get another quad 1 win.

NCAA no longer looks at RPI as top 50 and top 100 wins. They now use a quadrant system.

Currently you are 1-3 vs quad 1 and 4-1 vs quad 2.

The new system puts more weight on winning road games and less on home wins.

Quad 1 games are vs 1-30 RPI at home, 1-50 RPI neutral site, 1-75 road games.

Quad 2 games are vs 31-75 RPI at home, 51-100 neutral and 76-135 road.

Western Kentucky is currently RPI 55 so you need them to stay in the top 75 to hold that quad 1 win but you can't get another quad 1 win until conf tournament with your remaining games but if Old Dominion can inch their way up from 81 RPI to 75 you would get another quad 1 win.

Part of that is not true. Murray State will likely win out and if they do they will be top 75 and we beat them on the road. Also, same with ODU. They don't have to win out but if they win the games they are supposed to they too will be in the top 75 by the end of the year. Conference tournament games could impact the status of those teams; however. There is little chance Western will drop below 75, so there is a very good chance we will have three Tier 1 wins by the end of the year.

If there is anything, I understand this year's RPI and requirements a bit better as a layman fan.

Going to be watching Murray and hoping they finish strong.

What sites do you all use for rpi tracking. Is realtimerpi pretty good? They have us scouting out wins the rest of the way.

I use warrennolan.com. Both give up to date RPI's that use the same formula as the NCAA but I like their interface better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT