ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Raiders sign Nicole Dominguez from Spain

jakeboldenbrp

Blue Raider
Silver Member
Jan 2, 2024
Shelbyville, TN

The Lady Raiders make a big splash in the 2025 Class with the signing of 6'9" (!?) Center from Spain!

Her most recent action could be seen at the FIBA U17 Women's Basketball World Cup. Dominguez played limited time with a high ankle sprain, but there is so much to like about her potential in Insell's system!

You may notice low numbers in few games, but I'd draw the attention to her final game where she scored 16 points in 18 minutes (8/11 shooting) in her final game against Mexico. Spain plays 5 out which keeps her out of the paint, but in MT's motion offense this will keep her low and active and giving her more opportunities with her back to the basket (similar to Boldyreva, but 3 inches taller).

This is a big get for the Lady Raiders as Dominguez selected MT over other P4 offers but her final 5: Miami, South Florida, Washington, Liberty, and MTSU.

Stay tuned as I work on putting together a film package.

Reminds me of Rice's Nancy Mulkey from about 5 years ago. Very tall & lanky. Saw a video of her popping a 3. Doesn't appear to currently have the moves or athleticism as Boldyreva, but then again she hasn't had the coaching tutelage in our system for 4 years that Boldyreva received either.
Anticipate our coaches can help her tremendously in the post. Not sure of her total offensive & defensive capability, but who would say no to one of the handful of tallest women's centers in the US? Not me. Go Lady Raiders!

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Reminds me of Rice's Nancy Mulkey from about 5 years ago. Very tall & lanky. Saw a video of her popping a 3. Doesn't appear to currently have the moves or athleticism as Boldyreva, but then again she hasn't had the coaching tutelage in our system for 4 years that Boldyreva received either.
Anticipate our coaches can help her tremendously in the post. Not sure of her total offensive & defensive capability, but who would say no to one of the handful of tallest women's centers in the US? Not me. Go Lady Raiders!
Nas was not very good when she arrived on campus. Today she could start for any team in the country. You can do great things with someone who is 66 or 69!

Nas was not very good when she arrived on campus. Today she could start for any team in the country. You can do great things with someone who is 66 or 69!
I remember her first appearance. Nas had so much raw talent and was rough around the edges. I remember saying "if only she was more physical", well we got a taste of a more physical, refined product in 2023-'24. I look forward to her fitting into the mold of an MTSU offense.

The player development our program is known for pays dividends like Nas has experienced. I think Nicole will benefit big time from that as well.

Reactions: Hop45
To add on to what Jake was saying about the offense, she also played behind highly heraled eventual WNBA prospect at the 5 on that Spain team. What has been impressive has been her efficiency to put up numbers in limited minutes within the offense without sacrificing the motion a Spainish team typically looks to accomplish

Here's the highlights from her Round of 16 game against Mexico:

A lot to like from just one game. Her understanding of not having to dribble is critical to her development into the college game that is much quicker. She naturally alters shots, but could be a more active rebounder. That comes with a philosophy change (in my opinion) where she lives down low. Watching the whole game, I was impressed with her conditioning. Active hands on both ends, gets up and down the floor each possession, and played sustained minutes in a spread, 5 wide concept.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Matt Insell & company once again showing their smarts. When looking for that specific player usually reserved for the Power schools, this is the perfect antidote for circumnavigating their drawing power for elite American talent. MT is developing a solid reputation from the international community, & it's allowing us to complete with some of the Blue Bloods. Can't wait to see what Dominguez & the rest of the 2025 class can do next yesr.

Just Googled interesting factoid.
For tallest women's college basketball player, Dominguez will match Abbie Boutilier of Texas at 6' 9" for tallest female basketball players in the US. Due to a foot injury Boutilier did not play as a freshman during the 2024 season.

For tallest women's college basketball player, Dominguez will match Abbie Boutilier of Texas at 6' 9" for tallest female basketball players in the US. Due to a foot injury Boutilier did not play as a freshman during the 2024 season.
Interesting that Boutilier didn't take a redshirt - she's listed as a sophomore for this season.

We'll have the tallest team in the nation next year with Nicole!!

Matt Insell & company once again showing their smarts. When looking for that specific player usually reserved for the Power schools, this is the perfect antidote for circumnavigating their drawing power for elite American talent. MT is developing a solid reputation from the international community, & it's allowing us to complete with some of the Blue Bloods. Can't wait to see what Dominguez & the rest of the 2025 class can do next yesr.
This right here is why recruiting pays dividends. Matt and the entire staff have made a big name for themselves recruiting international players, and now we've got THE tallest player in NCAA WBB coming to us next year in addition to the fantastic players we already have -- especially Nas!

Having seen a photo of Boldyreva and Dominguez standing next to each other, there is no way Nicole is just three inches taller.

My source who told me about her visit said she looked close to 7 feet tall.

Rising Head Up GIF by funk

• Haha
Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue
Space based on your info I just Googled Nicole Dominguez visits Middle Tennessee. Slew of additional info popped up including your photo. And also a new article from Rivals stating Middle Tennessee just got a commit from center Nicole Dominguez now standing at 6' 10"!
So yes, we may now have the nation's tallest center!
If one of you guys could try looking those bits up & post to our site.

I know they’ve mentioned looking to become a bit of an equivalent to Gonzaga in mbb and something they did really well was Tommy Lloyd just finding international kids and turning them into stars

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT