ADVERTISEMENT

Kermit to Ole Miss?

I was thinking that. Ole Miss is a hard place to win and there's a chance that he could be out in 4 years. Remember, it took Kermit 10 years to right the ship here. It won't be an overnight transformation at Ole Miss by any means. But, maybe his thought process is "I'll make over 1 million for 4 years, get fired, then retire".

Well I can assure you that isn't his thought process. He isn't going to take the job unless he thinks he can win there. Kermit doesn't strike me as a loser chasing the almighty $$$$.

But he has to know it's a tough rebuilding job and he isn't gonna get 5+ years to rebuild that program. He might think he can do it more quickly, but still, it's a bottom of the barrel Power 5 job that can hardly beat out mid-majors for recruits.

The more I think about it, the more I have a hard time seeing him go. It just doesn't make any sense. If he goes, it's either an emotional decision or there's a truck load of cash involved. At least $2 million + per year with 4 or more years guaranteed. Has to be. No other way.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I think if our guys can go on a run in the NIT, the further away from selection Sunday, the more likely emotion will be less likely to cloud judgement.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
If he goes, it's either an emotional decision or there's a truck load of cash involved. At least $2 million + per year with 4 or more years guaranteed. Has to be. No other way.

I agree with you 100%.

Life changing money plus the chance to go to his home state and somewhat easier road to the NCAAs versus absolute job security (we will rename the court after him someday) and making top 1% money.

It makes me wonder - if we had gotten an at large bid, does he go? I wonder if the razor thin margin of error that mids have and frustration he was obviously showing may influence his decision.

Of course us getting screwed factors into his decision. Getting snubbed like that is a massive blow to his ego (I don't mean this in a bad way) after everything he has done for the program.

You have to understand, Kermit has poured 16 years of blood, sweat, tears, and who knows what else into this program. It's who he is. It defines a large part of him as a person. You can tell he loves, lives, and breaths Middle Tennessee.

He is Middle Tennessee Basketball.

To have had the success we have had recently both in the regular season and in the NCAA tournament, and to have the season end the way it did (couldn't have scripted a worse ending), I cannot even begin to fathom what is going through his mind. Anger, disappointment, resentment, sadness, an entire range of emotions. And how could you blame the guy? I'm absolutely gutted for the man.

I just really hope he sits down and thinks long and hard about this. Because it really doesn't make any sense whatsoever for him to go (Unless it's life-changing money. $8 million or more guaranteed over at least 4 years). Ole Miss is a bottom of the barrel Power 5 program that really offers him nothing. They will expect quick results, and if he doesn't deliver, he will be back at a place like Middle or possibly worse and quick results will be expected here. At MT, he's bought himself a decade if not life-time of leniency. And he can easily ask for, and get, $1 million per year + incentives now. How could he walk away? I just don't see it.

Unless I'm just totally misreading this and Kermit wants the challenge of rebuilding their program, I can't see how he goes (Again, unless life-changing money).

I truly believe if he stays another 10-15 years here that he can take this program to a Final 4. If he stays another 10-15 years, we'll make the tournament at least 8-12 more times. And with the players he is bringing in, it's only a matter of time until we string together some serious wins in the tournament and make a deep run.

Yes I get he's mad about the quadrant stuff and it's gonna be harder for mid-majors, but we'll figure it out. (Let's start by putting the 1 and 2 seed straight into the semis, please)

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I really hope he doesn’t go and honestly I think it has nothing to do with money. It’s all emotion at this point.

A culmination of the past few week or so and it being an opening in his home state. I think if it was anywhere else he wouldn’t even be considering it.

I look at it like the LSU coach did for the NIT. No you aren’t excited. But you are happy to be there than home.

Make the NIT the exception. Not the expectation. Use this as ammo to get even better.

Yea. It's obviously not the ending anybody wanted, or expected, but $hit happens. Not our fault the NCAA committee and Rasmussen has their heads up their @$$. We had a chance to win the tourney, it didn't happen. We've got a chance now to win another tournament, and while it's not the NCAA tourney, this might be the most competitive NIT in my life time. Winning this tournament, against these programs, would be a substantial achievement. If you asked me right now, win the NIT or lose in a play-in game. I'd take the NIT championship. I hope our team understands the opportunity in front of them.

But with Ole Miss, I guess we'll see.

I'm reading more and more about Kermit Davis w/ John Brady as an assistant to Ole Miss being a done deal. If Kermit does bolt, we've gotta find a way to retain Ronnie Hamilton as I hear he's the one landing all the big fish for us, though I suspect Kermit will want to take him with him.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue
mid majors need to get rid of the conference tournaments. it can't be that much of a money maker

They will never do that.

But the current tourney set-up is terrible. TERRIBLE. A #1 seed should never have to play a quarter final. Ever. Under any circumstances. EVER.

The 1 and 2 seed should automatically advance to the semis, effectively receiving a double-bye. There has to be MORE reward for winning the regular season and finishing 2nd, and that starts with only needing to win 2 games to win the tournament.

Making the conference tournament itself should be difficult to be honest. Why do we take so many teams? Make it a 10 team tournament, best 5 teams from each side. Best team in the East and best team in the West each get a double bye and the respective 1 and 2 seeds. Now THAT would make the regular season spicy with a double bye on the line.

Quarter finals:

1 and 2 get double-byes

----------------------

3 plays 10 - assume 3 wins
4 plays 9 - assume 4 wins

5 plays 8 - assume 5 wins
6 plays 7 - assume 6 wins

---------------------------

Now 3 plays 6 - winner plays 1 seed
4 plays 5 - winner plays 2 seed

PROBLEM SOLVED. Just vote me commish already.

Reactions: C-Bow
Just looking at the numbers, I'm really starting to think he might take the job. They can at least double his salary.

He's at $750,000 right now + incentives at MT. Massaro's best offer is probably $1 million + same incentives moving forward. No state income tax in TN so that helps.

Judging by their previous coaches contract, Andy Kennedy, his most recent base salary was $1.925 million + incentives. Depending on how badly they want Kermit, they could offer him as high as probably $2.5 million + incentives; however, $2 million + incentives seems more likely. Mississippi does have a state income tax of 5%, so that shaves off a cool $100,000 making his salary $1.9 million when compared to MT's offer of $1 million.

So Kermit can essentially double his income by taking the Ole Miss job. I think key points will be this:

--How many guaranteed years can Kermit secure at Ole Miss? 4 seems to be a magic number for me.

--How much money can Massaro commit to Basketball upgrades and recruiting budget? If Massaro will move capital projects up the list for basketball, does that help him stay?

--Does Kermit want to leave the #1 CUSA job, and one of the best non-power 5 jobs, for a bottom of the barrel Power 5 program? Perhaps he wants the challenge of rebuilding that sorry excuse for a team.

--Does Kermit have stars in his eyes? He might want to turn around Ole Miss and aim for an even bigger gig. Does he want to try to climb the mountain at this point in his career?

Guess we'll know soon enough.

Reactions: herd2believe
Is Mississippi really still "home" for CKD? How long has he been away from that state? 30 years?

I'm pushing 30 years away from my hometown (and state), and I still refer to it as "home." Frequently, "back home."

Just because I view or have feelings about a situation obviously does not mean that Kermit or anyone else shares those exact feelings or views. On the other hand, lots of people still refer to home regarding the area of their hometown when they have moved to another region for their adult years. My experience is that most are that way. Additionally, that pull and feelings can be compounded if that person still has plenty of family and friends back in their hometown. In my opinion, it would seem that hometown roots could present Kermit a unique draw to Ole Miss that most other states or regions wouldn't. Heck, I suspect his long time stay at MT also has a lot to do with being a neighboring state to his home state. If I recall correctly, Kermit displayed some interest in Southern Miss years ago when job exploring.

I see a few others are hearing what I've been hearing on Monday. That is:

I get the distinct feeling that Kermit is gone. Hearing some of his interviews, it started to become pretty obvious he is leaving. I would tend to agree with and have argued for the last few years that Kermit wouldn't just up and leave unless it was an ideal position for him. It seems Ole Miss may be ideal for him with it being his home state just for starters. While Ole Miss may not be a powerhouse, it is in the $EC where he obviously won't have to worry about NCAA selection screwing him over. It would be awfully hard for MT to match the pay of any $EC program. It also stands out in my mind from back in the middle of the season how Kermit publicly mentioned he'd like to have new facilities like Ole Miss now has. He mentioned their new arena focusing more on quality rather than size. I specifically remember him mentioning about 8,000 seats thinking how that might effect MT's plans for The Murph.

Obviously, Kermit leaving is not official....yet. It's possible something strange or unusual could happen. While Kermit did not state that he is leaving, it sure sounded like it when reading between the lines. If any of the internet rumors are to be believed, this has likely been in the works before Selection Sunday. If so, it would be a normal and natural reaction to have a sense of being glad that he will not have to get screwed over on Selection Sunday anymore with starting a new job. Almost confirmation to one's self that one is making the right decision.

As a MT guy, it's a different story. I know it's only a game and all, but it has become increasingly real and tangible in the way the corrupt NCAA is screwing over MT. In years' past, it seems the NCAA would mostly but not totally screw over some of the mid major programs. It's beginning to increasingly look like the NCAA is now totally screwing over "mid-majors." From the looks of it, the NCAA elites do not appear to be learning anything from the huge scandal and FBI investigation.

Kermit is as good as gone. IF we lose tonight, expect the announcement tomorrow. Bummer is he has a pretty good class coming in, so many (if not all) will be gone. Also, think about the freshman and maybe even sophomores, will some follow him? You are looking at an almost complete rebuild for a new coach at a non-Power 5 school in a 1-bid conference.
Fasten your seat-belt boys & girls, it is going to be a bumpy ride...

case is going with Kermit more than likely. you don't need to keep anyone off the current staff, let who ever gets hired bring there people in.

I read somewhere Case and Hamilton going with him; $2.8 million per. If true, can't blame him for going!

I've felt for a week now that the wku game, MT nationally ranked, over 11,000, on national television was a Moses on the mountain top moment, overlooking the promised land and he wasn't going with us the rest of the way. We need a 'Joshua' to come in to kick down doors, knock down walls, and get us to what Kermit's vision has been the last few years...

We probably won't be able to keep Win Case. But whoever we do hire needs to pick up right where Kermit left off, schedule tough opponents, and bring the energy to the Murphy Center. Hopefully next year's home opener is a big-name opponent and winnable game so we can continue building the 'national brand' and increase our attendance.

It's been one heck of a run for Kermit and MT. After 16 seasons, it would have been nice to keep it going here until he decided to retire. Can't blame a guy for moving to a situation that seems pretty ideal for him particularly with it being back in his home state. He has remained faithful to MT and his team even after he is already taking the new job. I'm glad for all involved that Kermit is staying to see the season through to the end in the NIT. It is good the team is getting a chance to finish strong.

I've felt for a week now that the wku game, MT nationally ranked, over 11,000, on national television was a Moses on the mountain top moment, overlooking the promised land and he wasn't going with us the rest of the way. We need a 'Joshua' to come in to kick down doors, knock down walls, and get us to what Kermit's vision has been the last few years...

More than a few times I thought about how that environment was the embodiment of what Kermit had been repeatedly saying publicly for a few years. For the last few years when the usual end of season rumors would crank up, Kermit would be pretty emphatic that he wanted to see the success through to MT gaining national prominence before he would seriously look at other jobs. Late in the season, all of those things Kermit promised before he left came together. Beyond another successful season and conference title, the team finally cracked the AP Top 25 and was packing in the fans in the Murphy Center to a tremendous amount of buzz that extended far beyond Murfreesboro. It was a sight to see, the dream realized of MT being one of the talked about teams in the national college basketball sports media, top 25, incredible huge home crowds, and overall another season of high level success.

In my opinion, Kermit lived up to his word. You gotta respect a man who works hard for a long time to achieve huge goals and stay true to his word. A lot of other coaches and administrators around the NCAA ought to take note as the sport is engulfed in a FBI investigation.

I have no idea who should be the next HC for MT. I am confident of this though, Kermit is leaving the program in such a way that the MT HC opening will be an incredibly attractive job opportunity for many qualified and talented coaches from across the national college basketball landscape.

Reactions: Hop45
Can someone please hire Stockstill away now?

For the people who want Mark Fox, you should know you are wanting UGA's version of Rick Stockstill.

I have lived in the Atlanta area for 5 years now and every single UGA fan that calls 680, posts on a message board, or even the radio hosts have been calling for him to be fired for 3 years. It's the same story - classy guy but underachieve, choking in big games, stagnant program, etc. I am telling you, you could replace Mark Fox's name with CRS and its the EXACT same complaints I read on here.

"The only people who think Mark Fox should not be fired are Mark Fox, his wife, and Don Leeburn."

"Georgia had no choice but to fire Mark Fox"

"
How could anyone aggregate any stats and say he is a good coach? What would this be based off of. Throw away his first three years at Nevada and he is a 500 coach. In avaerage leagues. He’s never won an in season tourney. He hasn’t won a tourney game at uga. Made no run in n I t. Made one good run in nine years in se c tourney. Spent one week in top 25 in nine years at uga. He is no good.
"

This is what I have heard for 3+ years. That's why I am not excited about him as our coach. Absolutely stagnant and declining fanbase. You could replace Mark Fox with CRS on the UGA message boards and it would look the same. If CRS was fired (ha!), you had been watching MT football, and your school was going to hire him, would you want him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT