ADVERTISEMENT

Kermit to Ole Miss?

rcodeman

True Blue
Feb 4, 2005
On the Ole Miss Rivals board they claim MT formed a search committee as he’s as good as gone....

You have to be a subscriber. A friend of mine sent me a screenshot. I have no clue how to post that

Good for him. I'm surprised he's stuck around this long to be honest. He's more than earned to move up the ladder.

I do think Ole Miss is a bad job to take though. I feel like he could have done better. He's being hired to be fired there IMO.

Im happy for him if he takes. KD made this place better and has laid the ground work. Who would be some good replacements that won’t screw it up?

Im happy for him if he takes. KD made this place better and has laid the ground work. Who would be some good replacements that won’t screw it up?

Probably nobody. Kermit was masterful at bringing in under-the-radar players who almost always outperformed their "star" rating. He's also a defensive genius and gets more out of his players than almost any coach in the country. Kermit will be impossible to replace and the program is likely to take some steps back in the mean time.

Reactions: GrizzlyReb89
I don't think Massaro has ever use a search committee to hire a head coach so that particular report doesn't sound credible. Not saying that ckd might not end up there, but I think there's some bullshit being spread there.

Reactions: MT Glenn
May be he uses a search committee because we need a high profile person that won’t f this team up going forward.

Bring in Rick Pitino. I hear he still wants to coach.

If true, this may send our program back 10 years. I don't trust Massaro bringing in anyone worth a crap.

Surely one of these assistant coaches has been paying attention all these years? What makes Kermit so great is his connections to Junior colleges and high schools. Again, he's been masterful at finding those diamonds in the rough and that starts with having great connections to all these schools. Relationships like that are built over time, which is probably one of the reasons it took him a while to find success. Kermit also appears to continue to stay in touch with recruits even when they've signed with other schools. He's constantly out there looking for players like Nick King, whether they're playing in High school, junior college, or for a Power 5 school.

Kermit strikes me as a relentless worker with top flight connections in the industry and a top level coaching mind on the defensive end. He's a damn near total-package. His only weakness IMO is a lack of offensive prowess but that's just not his style and I'm sure he does/can rely on assistant coaches to help with that. He will be missed. He cannot be replaced, but there are options out there.

Be bold.

Hiring someone like Rick Pitino instantly gives us the ability to have a head coach with great connections already established. I don't give two $hits about what happened in Louisville. Their loss can be our gain. He hasn't been found guilty by anybody, and he hasn't been punished in any respect. Hire the man and he can probably take the program to an even higher level. With his connections, you know he's going to be able to get some serious talent to Murfreesboro.

Couldn’t afford him or his staff

He has publicly said he wants to get back into coaching and he's likely viewed as toxic to almost all universities at this point.

If that's the case, depending on how bad he wants to coach, we could get him here for a few years to remake his image. It's worth a try at least.

Penny Hardaway is another name to consider if Memphis doesn't fire Tubby and hire him. He's sitting on a mountain of golden prospects with his AAU team and has developed decent connections in his young coaching career. It would be a gamble, for sure, but I think it would be well worth it.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Casey Alexander from Lipscomb?

A bit wet behind the ears still and I'm really not sure if his approach is what we are looking for. He's a Rick Byrd disciple and goes after those white kids that can just shoot the day lights out. Not exactly what our roster is stocked with right now. It would be a total transformation in terms of identity. Right now we are athletic and a top defensive team.

Can Casey recruit at a high level? I wasn’t impressed with his teams talent level.

Did you watch Lipscomb play any this year? In particular @FGCU for their tournament final?

They hung 60 on them in the first half......on the road......

Yep I saw them almost blow a 34 point lead

Well they're not going to score 60 in both halfs. It's natural for the game to tighten up a bit. They still won by double digits if I recall correctly. I'm not defending the guy, but his team this year is very impressive. They would bounce our @$$ right out of a tournament if we played them right now.

Well they're not going to score 60 in both halfs. It's natural for the game to tighten up a bit. They still won by double digits if I recall correctly. I'm not defending the guy, but his team this year is very impressive. They would bounce our @$$ right out of a tournament if we played them right now.
If we played like we did yesterday then yea treveca would b slap us in a heart beat

Will Wade will be available in 2 years. Anyone on Avery johnson’s Staff?

I have no faith in our admin. This could be rough.

We could always see if Stock wants to coach the b-ball team and guarantee ourselves a 9-9 conference record with a post-season beat down.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
At any rate, I'm not totally convinced Kermit is leaving, and message board stuff either here or on some other school's board by anonymous folks is not really some content that I would consider reliable at this point.

Reactions: MT Glenn and C-Bow
ADVERTISEMENT