ADVERTISEMENT

Kermit to Ole Miss?

My advice to everyone here would be to slow their roll. My sources aren't telling me anything close to what's being floated out there. Let the process play out.

Well it is of course being kept under heavy wraps. Nothing is going to be announced until after Sunday at the earliest for obvious reasons.

The writing certainly appears to be on the wall IMO.

Ole Miss is going to hire SOMEONE, and the list of potential candidates appears to be rather short right now with Kermits name on it.

Well this was written back in February....and Matta turned them down. You have to believe Davis is very close to the top of their list, if not at the very top. I think there are absolutely legs to this rumor.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississi...d-ole-miss-job-leave-middle-tennessee-offered

Small snippet:

"That doesn’t mean the Rebels do not have some interested candidates, including Middle Tennessee coach Kermit Davis who, per RebelWalk.com, would accept the job if offered."

I'm not saying he's not a candidate and I'm not saying he's not interested.

But what I do know is that what that site put out was about as premature as a two pump chump.

I think this story holds a lot more weight than message board fodder
Coach's daughter loves Raiders basketball

Especially for anyone with a daughter, that is up at the top of your list of considerations.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions based on some message board rumors.

All that said, there are key ingredients in that possible scenario that suggests a move like that for Kermit could be possible. Typically, I would not expect Kermit to run off to a middling P5 program that will be a rebuild job. On the other hand, it is back close to home for him. That's a considerable factor in my opinion. Home and family ties "back home" is that type of factor that could lure him away in my opinion.

It will take more validation than a message board rumor before I move the HC change into the fact column in my book.

On the subject of speculating, the HC at ETSU that has already been mentioned earlier in this thread is one I wouldn't be surprised to show up on a MT shortlist if Kermit does move on.

If Kermit were to leave, he will be leaving the program in good shape that attract a lot of talented and reputable HC candidates. That has not always been a given for various HC jobs at MT in past years.

Of course, I'm still hoping Kermit stays.

I believe Forbes just signed a long extension at ETSU. Mt may have to pay a decent size buyout to get him.

If Kermit were to leave, he will be leaving the program in good shape that attract a lot of talented and reputable HC candidates. That has not always been a given for various HC jobs at MT in past years.

Of course, I'm still hoping Kermit stays.

This is my thought. We have a team that has won 22+ games the past several years. Had respectable post season play. A roster that of course will change, but changed last year too. The talent is here. We are in a major metro area. This isn’t a full bottom of the barrel rebuild job.

I’d hate to see KD go, but I think we would attract some decent coaches if he did. The question is how CM will handle it. I’m more worried about that than anything else.

Sad thing is you wouldn’t find anyone that will get here and stay the next 16 years. Turnover of college basketball for nearly all teams is terrible.
I really think he is here to stay. Hopefully I’m right and you guys are full of it.

Reactions: MTLynn
Well maybe if more of the local alumni in the area contributed some dollars to the BRAA and supported the university better then any decision for a coach to stay is easier. There are over 100k alumni in the local area. Think about it. I hope he stays. Maybe a drive should be put together to raise more dollars for his 6th man club?

We led the conference in attendance. CKD is payed well. MT gave him an opportunity and stayed with him. MT has been good to CKD and he has been good for us. We don't need to do anything special to keep him.

Is Mississippi really still "home" for CKD? How long has he been away from that state? 30 years?

On the subject of Penny...I think he has his sights set on Memphis. I am hearing that if Tubby is fired they may go after Penny.

Based on Kermit's candor during the interview this morning, I wouldn't be surprised if he is done with the mid-major level. He knows the deck is stacked.

I've never really hear Kermit like that in the interview. He just seems kind of tired of all the crap the NCAA dishes out.

And after hearing his response to the Ole Mis interest, I think he's as good as gone.

Last edited:
Ronnie Hamilton has turned into the lead recruiter for Davis. He's credited with getting all three incoming signees on board.

He'd deserve a look, but I'd be shocked if KD didn't take him with him -- should he in fact depart..

If KD does leave, he is doing it the proper way. I’ll give him credit for that. He’s a good man. I’d love to see him come back in some way in the future.

As for coaching, just look at the last five years. He’s won nearly 72% of his games. Amazing. Who wouldn’t want him.

dont blame him for leaving if he does.

i do think he needs to consider that he's being hired to likely be fired. just judging by their fans reaction, they are not thrilled with having him.

so do you take the money grab and power 5 job with the potential of being fired in 2-4 years? Or do you stay here and make 1 mil a year and continue to build the program?

Personally, I wouldn't leave. No state taxes in TN, collecting a cool 1 mil, job security beyond belief, and he's already entrenched. He knows he can win here. Ole Miss is not worth leaving over IMO. It's a power 5 job yes, but bottom of the barrel power 5.

Kermit seems like a real smart guy so I would be surprised to see him leave TBH. Doesn't seem like a smart move, unless he's getting a truck load of cash (at least 2 mil per year + incentives) and guaranteed at least 4 years on his contract. But again, seems like an emotional move to me. I hope he doesn't make any rash decisions and takes time to fully think it through.

Last edited:
dont blame him for leaving if he does.

i do think he needs to consider that he's being hired to likely be fired. just judging by their fans reaction, they are not thrilled with

so do you take the money grab and power 5 job with the potential of being fired in 2-4 years? Or do you stay here and make 1 mil a year and continue to build the program?

Personally, I wouldn't leave. No state taxes in TN, collecting a cool 1 mil, job security beyond belief, and he's already entrenched. He knows he can win here. Ole Miss is not worth leaving over IMO. It's a power 5 job yes, but bottom of the barrel power 5.

Kermit seems like a real smart guy so I would be surprised to see him leave TBH. Doesn't seem like a smart move, unless he's getting a truck load of cash (at least 2 mil per year + incentives) and guaranteed at least 4 years on his contract.

I was thinking that. Ole Miss is a hard place to win and there's a chance that he could be out in 4 years. Remember, it took Kermit 10 years to right the ship here. It won't be an overnight transformation at Ole Miss by any means. But, maybe his thought process is "I'll make over 1 million for 4 years, get fired, then retire".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT