BASKETBALL Izzo says he shoulda called a timeout earlier

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
MLive.com:
Tom Izzo carries lessons from loss

...For Izzo, though, the loss to MTSU stands as a moment of heavy lessons on early timeouts and defense. They're lessons that, the 61-year-old says, he'll carry forward after 21 seasons of coaching.

"I made a mistake," Izzo said. "Nobody else. I made the mistake."

More than anything, Izzo wishes he called a timeout. MTSU jumped out to a 7-2 lead. Then 10-2. Then 12-2. Then 15-2. Izzo waited and watched before finally taking fingertip to palm and stopping the bleeding.

By that point, though, MTSU was walking on water. A mid-major team with talent, it knew it could beat Michigan State. It saw itself as an equal, not an underdog.

"This year if we get down 12-0, there will be a timeout called," Izzo said Thursday. "I mean that sincerely. I had so much faith in my team that I forgot that there's another team that is getting energy from those threes going in, the lead going to 8, to 11, to 12, to 15, and finally the Hall of Fame coach called a timeout a little late."

Even with the early hole, the Spartans climbed back into the game with MTSU. They made their runs.

The reason they ultimately lost, though, was MTSU's shot-making. Everything was falling. While committing only 10 turnovers (compared to MSU's 14), the Blue Raiders shot 55.9 percent from the field and made 11 of 19 3-pointers. Michigan State couldn't get enough stops.

Credit where it's due, much of that had to do with MTSU and Giddy Potts, a now infamous name in Michigan State lore. But at the same time, in that upset, Izzo's team didn't carry the typical Michigan State defensive identity when it needed it most

"I have no regrets about the preparation, the focus of our guys or anything," Izzo said. "I have a lot of respect for what Middle Tennessee State did as far as making shots.

"That would be the second thing I learned. The timeout would be first. The second thing would be defense does win championships. If there's one thing that let us down, nobody, I mean nobody ever shot what they shot from the two and three against us. Even when we were so bad, it was scary back in the early days, nobody ever shot that against us.

"So it just kind of fuels my fire on why you've got to be able to defend and rebound. That part of it was good for me."

Even if it was learned the hard way.....

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
We were unconscious that day...hitting big shots over and over. Sometimes its just your day.

Raiders shot well, no doubt, but they blocked out, they rebounded, they defended, they were the first to loose balls, they blocked shots, they took care of the ball. Izzo was right about the timeouts, with a little over a minute to go, IIRC, MT had 1 time out left, while sparty had 3 timeouts.

People poke fun about Kermit and his short fuse on calling timeouts into a game, I remember some media guy (local) joking about a bet on who would be first to call a time out,but in that game, CKD used the timeouts at when he needed to. Izzo hoarded them like he could use them in the next round.

Kermits teams have always played tough defense and hustled to the ball however his earlier teams just wouldn't/couldn't shoot.

Finally he recruited a few shooters and for the last 5 years now his teams have been hitting shots to go along with the tough defense and hustle.

That is what it is isn't it Lynn. I always watched in disbelief at the shooting in the 2000s.

it must be tough to recruit 'shooters' that can or will play defense to CKD's liking, but it seems like the more success he has had, the easier it becomes.

After Michigan State's early struggles against their exhibition game opponent, Izzo brought the loss to the Blue Raiders again:

When MSU jostled with Northwood for control of Thursday night's exhibition game, an eerie aura descended on the Breslin Center. As the Spartans had their rebounding total doubled late into the first half and trailed for the entirety of eight opening minutes, the sense of deja vu stunk pungently of last year's first-round exit in the NCAA Tournament.

"You have to play defense and you have to rebound, it's older than sin," head coach Tom Izzo said. "I thought Northwood, to be honest with you, played really well. They made some incredible shots. I know everybody in the room thought about Middle Tennessee. I did. I was going to call a timeout if they scored one more. I wasn't going to let (the lead) get to 15 this year."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT