ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL IYO five biggest wins in MTSU football history?

I will let you know when we have five.

Zero wins in actual or defacto championship games.
No wins against top 25 teams.
Only one win against a P5 with a winning record.

Those would be my criteria to even begin a list.

That said...
1. Maryland 2008 is the only P5 win against a winning team.
2. I will give the Georgia Tech win some props given it was such a beat down and they were 6-6 before losing the bowl game they stole from us.
3. New Orleans Bowl simply cause it was our first I-A bowl win (which would be replaced if we had any other criteria referenced above).

I will let you know when we have five.

Zero wins in actual or defacto championship games.
No wins against top 25 teams.
Only one win against a P5 with a winning record.

Those would be my criteria to even begin a list.

That said...
1. Maryland 2008 is the only P5 win against a winning team.
2. I will give the Georgia Tech win some props given it was such a beat down and they were 6-6 before losing the bowl game they stole from us.
3. New Orleans Bowl simply cause it was our first I-A bowl win (which would be replaced if we had any other criteria referenced above).

I like your list...but I would had 4. Vanderbilt 2001, that game was huge at the time.

I considered that one. It was big but it feels squandered now and Vandy was awful. I believe they went 2-9 that year.

I considered that one. It was big but it feels squandered now and Vandy was awful. I believe they went 2-9 that year.
What about the fact we beat Syracuse the same year they beat Clemson? I know they were 4-8, but they were good enough to beat a top 5 team. Also played without their starting QB for the last 3 games.

What about the fact we beat Syracuse the same year they beat Clemson? I know they were 4-8, but they were good enough to beat a top 5 team. Also played without their starting QB for the last 3 games.

The thing that made that a great game is Brent leading us back to that win with a fractured sternum. Legendary stuff. If he would have led us to the title last year Brent would go down as one of the greatest players in MT regardless of any sport. Stats are nice but championships are what matter most.

That said, the Syracuse win was good, but that team was pretty bad. They weren't good enough to beat a top 5 team. The Clemson win was nothing but a fluke and really bad game played by Clemson.

5-2 vs. Memphis after the modern day revival of the series. The first two Blue Raider wins helped them in getting rid of West.

Unfortunately, he landed in Murfreesboro to “retire”.

5-2 vs. Memphis after the modern day revival of the series. The first two Blue Raider wins helped them in getting rid of West.

Unfortunately, he landed in Murfreesboro to “retire”.

Kind of like winning a battle but losing the war. Only at MT could we pry defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well us and the Cubs. Glad I'm a Cardinals guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT