ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL I'm watching Memphis and realizing we are on the wrong path...

No, the good one that took a real job even though he was already making like 2.5 mill in poop town.

Va Tech lost to ODU though. There's a little hope. Better than Michigan, UGA and Iowa I guess.

Last edited:
Mississippi St just fired a good man with a .538 winning percentage, 2 bowls, wins over Auburn & A&M, and 2 top 25 recruiting classes in 2 years. Demanding more.

MT is going into year 15 with a “good guy” with a .514 winning percentage, no conference championships and basically no momentum.

Memphis, MSU, others just continue to reinforce we are on the wrong path.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing when I heard about him getting fired.

I guess things are just different at MT. No expectations. No accountability. No leadership. No progress.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Mississippi St just fired a good man with a .538 winning percentage, 2 bowls, wins over Auburn & A&M, and 2 top 25 recruiting classes in 2 years. Demanding more.

MT is going into year 15 with a “good guy” with a .514 winning percentage, no conference championships and basically no momentum.

Memphis, MSU, others just continue to reinforce we are on the wrong path.

”Wait Til Next Year”

After running through the remaining players recruited by and left behind by Rip Scherer, Randy Fichtner left for the Steelers and DeAngelo Williams graduated in 2005, West went on a final 4-year run of 17-33 and 0-2 in bowl games vs. FAU and USF. Even worse, the next three years of rosters were decimated by his disastrous JUCO quick fix philosophy to save his job.
West and Mallory need to retire now. Why they (Stock and Massaro) are sitting on it I have no idea.

But you lost your bowl game and probably your ranking so who gives a sh!t? It's G5. No one cares beyond G5 fans. I've said you had a great year but it's one year and you lost the dude who got you there so it's cyclical. It's an Icarus situation. Only Boise and Appy have been able to keep flying near the sun. Every other G5 team gets high up for a little while and then loses altitude. It's the way of the gun now. Even at UCF's highest point, they were never considered to be a playoff team and they were perfect for 2 years straight. They were perfect the year Bama backed into the playoffs with 2 losses and won the championship. If that didn't tell you where the G5 stood, nothing ever will.

The P5/ESPN stranglehold has guaranteed that G5 will always be relevant to a certain point and that point seems to deminish every year.

The most relevant bowl win for a G5 team this year has been La Tech's 14-0 win over Miami. First of all, they beat a P5 team. No matter how bad Miami is, no one had them losing to La Tech except me. :) Miami would never be perceived to be on the same level as La Tech. Secondly, they might be the first G5 team to shutout a P5 in a bowl game ever. I can't think of any G5 team goose egging a P5'er. Also LaTech is 6-0 in their last 6 bowl games. That's a team I look up to way more than Memphis. Even then, all that came from that was Miami's OC getting booted.

BTW, MT wasn't even on the same planet as Memphis this year. Never said they were. Last year, we both played in championship games. We both choked and we both lost our bowl games. That's my point. We're different but not all that different. Same bowl record. 10 years ago, we beat the dog crap out of them in our house in front of nearly 30,000 people. We won 10 games that year and our bowl game. We beat a P5 team back to back and we had our icarus moment. It is what it is. Plus a 5-2 record vs. Memphis since we went FBS proves the point as well,

I could go on but I got sh!t to do. Take care. Enjoy your awesome season that everyone else has already forgotten about. :)

Dude, freaking Gameday was in Memphis - for a Memphis game - not for someone else’s game who just happened to be playing in Memphis but actually for the Tigers game.

What you suggest here is absurd. Memphis though they had fallen behind us under West has blown by us and is literally miles ahead of where we are now. It’s disgusting we have rested on laurels rather than working toward taking the next step. Being a fan of MT is like a form of self punishment. This is what it’s like to be an MT fan - for just a dollar...

UnselfishBlueArcticseal-max-1mb.gif

Dude, freaking Gameday was in Memphis - for a Memphis game - not for someone else’s game who just happened to be playing in Memphis but actually for the Tigers game.

What you suggest here is absurd. Memphis though they had fallen behind us under West has blown by us and is literally miles ahead of where we are now. It’s disgusting we have rested on laurels rather than working toward taking the next step. Being a fan of MT is like a form of self punishment. This is what it’s like to be an MT fan - for just a dollar...

How am I wrong? Same bowl record as Stock in the last like 7 bowls. They have a conference championship but last year we both played in championship games last year and choked and lost our bowls. This isn't an opinion. It's a set of facts. Yes, they had their icarus moment but they lost the coach who got em there and their bowl game with their ranking. So who cares now?

We'll see what they do now but the only ones talking about Memphis right now is us on this board. No one beyond G5 fans gives a sh!t. They don't. UT won their bowl game to get 8 wins after losing to Ga St. and you think Memphis is even being discussed right now? Hell no. However, sports talk radio here was still talking about UT's great bowl win this morning. It just solidifies my point. I'm not comparing US to UM. I'm saying no matter how well you do, no one cares if you ain't P5. They just don't. Sorry that's too real for some of you.

How am I wrong? Same bowl record as Stock in the last like 7 bowls. They have a conference championship but last year we both played in championship games last year and choked and lost our bowls. This isn't an opinion. It's a set of facts. Yes, they had their icarus moment but they lost the coach who got em there and their bowl game with their ranking. So who cares now?

We'll see what they do now but the only ones talking about Memphis right now is us on this board. No one beyond G5 fans gives a sh!t. They don't. UT won their bowl game to get 8 wins after losing to Ga St. and you think Memphis is even being discussed right now? Hell no. However, sports talk radio here was still talking about UT's great bowl win this morning. It just solidifies my point. I'm not comparing US to UM. I'm saying no matter how well you do, no one cares if you ain't P5. They just don't. Sorry that's too real for some of you.

LOL! The current Memphis wide receiver corp would make the MT secondary look like pee wee football.

We'll see what they do now but the only ones talking about Memphis right now is us on this board. No one beyond G5 fans gives a sh!t. They don't...../QUOTE]

Over New Years, my friends who are Texas Tech / U Texas alumnus talked about how They wouldn’t mind Memphis in the next B12expansion over Cincinnati or Houston.

The thing is, UM has enough high level success at the national level with Fuentes and Norvell, that the thought of them joining a P5 conference isn’t silly. I have no clue if the can maintain the football success to stay in that conversation, but they are in a conversation that we are not.

That’s the difference between us and them.

How are you wrong? In every way. The damn bowl records being similar doesn't mean a damn thing. That is not indicative of the state of a football program. You mentioned championship. Yeah they have one. We don't. That's kind of a big difference. They just traveled more people to their bowl game than we've ever had attend a home game.

If the Big 12 went expanding they're on the short list of a very short list. We won't even be on the short list to replace them in the AAC. You are beyond delusion on this and incredibly, significantly wrong in every way on this. And I hate Memphis about as much as I do wkcc.

How are you wrong? In every way. The damn bowl records being similar doesn't mean a damn thing. That is not indicative of the state of a football program. You mentioned championship. Yeah they have one. We don't. That's kind of a big difference. They just traveled more people to their bowl game than we've ever had attend a home game.

If the Big 12 went expanding they're on the short list of a very short list. We won't even be on the short list to replace them in the AAC. You are beyond delusion on this and incredibly, significantly wrong in every way on this. And I hate Memphis about as much as I do wkcc.

Again, I didn't compare us to them. We have a shitty situation here and I'm never denying that. However, Memphis went as far as they can go and will back slide. With all of their greatness, they have one championship outright. No one else is discussing them. The Big12 didn't add them when folks said they would and when Fred Smith threw cash at em. There is a reason for that. Sorry, we can agree to disagree. As great as you think they are, they haven't done much more than us (same bowl record and we have a 5-2 record vs. them). Just ain't buying their hype. They were paying their coach 2.5 a mill and still couldn't keep him in poop town. He bolted for an impossible situation at FSU where he might get 2 years to turn it around in the highest pressure of situations with boosters worth way more than Fred Smith threw at Memphis collectively. If Memphis is so elite, why would he bolt from a cool spot to a crock pot? Answer, FUS is a P5 and Memphis is a G5.

They are a G5. A good G5 now but G5's don't matter in CFB. Sports talk is talking about a mediocre UT way more than a once ranked Memphis. What does that say? Everything. It says everything.

Last edited:
Again, I didn't compare us to them. We have a shitty situation here and I'm never denying that. However, Memphis went as far as they can go and will back slide. With all of their greatness, they have one championship outright. No one else is discussing them. The Big12 didn't add them when folks said they would and when Fred Smith threw cash at em. There is a reason for that. Sorry, we can agree to disagree. As great as you think they are, they haven't done much more than us (same bowl record and we have a 5-2 record vs. them). Just ain't buying their hype. They were paying their coach 2.5 a mill and still couldn't keep him in poop town. He bolted for an impossible situation at FSU where he might get 2 years to turn it around in the highest pressure of situations with boosters worth way more than Fred Smith threw at Memphis collectively. If Memphis is so elite, why would he bolt from a cool spot to a crock pot? Answer, FUS is a P5 and Memphis is a G5.

They are a G5. A good G5 now but G5's don't matter in CFB. Sports talk is talking about a mediocre UT way more than a once ranked Memphis. What does that say? Everything. It says everything.

A coach at Ole Miss or Missouri or Kentucky or Virginia or a bunch of other P5 schools would leave to take the job at FSU. The coach leaving for an elite job is a non-factor. Their bowl record is a non-factor. What matters is stature of the program, winning, fan base, growing, etc. And in those categories - the ones that really matter - it's a no contest right now.

What's a no contest? There is no comparison I'm making to us. They have more money and are in a better venue. I get that. They've had 5 good seasons out of the last 100. Yay.

Where is Memphis vs. UT or any other P5? That was my point. G5 is a dead end road. Look at all they did this season but now can't sustain it. We would love to have their problems but I consider Appy St., Boise or hell even La Tech to be greater programs I aspire us to b like . La Tech is 6-0 in their last 6 bowl games with a shutout over a P5. I think they are the first to do that in a bowl game. All Memphis can do is get there just like us. After that, they shit their pants just like us. Good chatting about another team though. LOL.

Then let’s just drop football JT.

No point even trying. While we are at it why don’t we just end athletics all together.

Between this thread and the other on the schedule I just don’t get some of y’all. The point of competition is to be the best you can.

IMO, this a losers mentality much like cr continues to bring to the discussion. I mean you can apply the same argument to South Carolina or Indiana or Wake Forest. What is the end state in your view? Only a handful can be an Ohio State level. I suggest we try to be the best we can be whatever that peak is. Because it helps all facets of the univ and the value of your degree. Otherwise why are we wasting our time here. If we just want to be entertained then go to the circus or focus on pro sports only.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
There is a hard ceiling. There is only a certain level that can be reached even if we were winning conference championships every year. I agree that we should be the best we can be. However, none of us are in control of that. It's not a loser's mentality when you have zero control of the outcome. We fans are merely spectators to the product put before us and even when we won 10 games, we never sniffed a top 25 ranking. G5 teams have to be perfect to be ranked. Only UCF and WMU made the top 10 in recent history and they had to be perfect and couldn't sustain it because no one can. What did UCF get for their efforts? They got a NY6 bid because they were never considered playoff material. UGA and Bama had losses and were ranked higher and Bama backed into the playoffs with 2 losses. UCF beat the team that beat Bama.

With MT, we have to be realists. The program isn't changing. No coaches are leaving as far as I can tell. We are getting the same play calling next year and same leadership. I would rather win 7 than 4. That's realistic. I would rather win a championship and a NY6 bid but that isn't realistic. Dropping footall isn't realistic so we are stuck. It will have to go down to no one coming to the games. I mean ZERO attendance and a losing record for 4-5 years for there to be a change. It will require years of constant losing and even then we have to hope Massaro would make a good hire.

I hope we get a winning record next year but I'm not that concerned. I have other crap to do way more important than this. If they get their crap together, then great. If they don't, then whatever. That's not my responsiility until they paid me to do so If I were made AD, Stock would be gone right now. I would finance the buyout even if I had to open lemonade stands all over campus. but that isn't realistic. So I'm not tripping about it or wishing I was in another program. Especially Memphis. I would be a decked out in red WKU fan before I would ever aspire to be like "turd town".

Last edited:
Then let’s just drop football JT.

No point even trying. While we are at it why don’t we just end athletics all together.

Between this thread and the other on the schedule I just don’t get some of y’all. The point of competition is to be the best you can.

IMO, this a losers mentality much like cr continues to bring to the discussion. I mean you can apply the same argument to South Carolina or Indiana or Wake Forest. What is the end state in your view? Only a handful can be an Ohio State level. I suggest we try to be the best we can be whatever that peak is. Because it helps all facets of the univ and the value of your degree. Otherwise why are we wasting our time here. If we just want to be entertained then go to the circus or focus on pro sports only.
If athletics improve the value of a degree we live in a screwed up world. The ability of some people at your school to play a sport well should have nothing to do with how valuable your degree is. Vanderbilt’s degree is really valuable and the only sport they are good at is baseball.

If athletics improve the value of a degree we live in a screwed up world. The ability of some people at your school to play a sport well should have nothing to do with how valuable your degree is. Vanderbilt’s degree is really valuable and the only sport they are good at is baseball.
The best academic conference is the Ivy League and they play 1-AA football. And you have MIT that doesn't play sports.

I don't believe people dispute the value of those degrees over other schools.

The average person may believe that because ut-k, bammer, etc. are in the $ec, they are better academically than MT, UAB, etc.

Last edited:
In my experience, the value of the degree doesn't matter that much anymore. I've worked with folks that graduated from Vandy, Cornell, Yale and Harvard and were dumber than a bag of hammers. It ain't the car, it's the driver but yes, the SEC is perceived to be a big school and we are perceived to be a little school even though we have been the most attended in the state. Perception is not reality by a longshot. However, it is what it is.

The best academic conference is the Ivy League and they play 1-AA football. And you have MIT that doesn't play sports.

I don't believe people dispute the value of those degrees over other schools.

The average person may believe that because ut-k, bammer, etc. are in the $ec, they are better academically than MT, UAB, etc.

MIT does play sports at the D3 level, along with Carnegie-Melon

Reactions: MTLynn
Why are you all comparing Ivy league and private schools to us related to that comment?

The #1 reason why Dr. Walker moved football to I-A was because he knew it would help develop and improve the overall stature of the university.It's also why he tried to change the name to "University of..."

Walker was a brilliant man.

However, he probably didn't envision us settling on mediocrity like so many of our own fans seem so willing to accept. Viva little middle.

Why are you all comparing Ivy league and private schools to us related to that comment?

The #1 reason why Dr. Walker moved football to I-A was because he knew it would help develop and improve the overall stature of the university.It's also why he tried to change the name to "University of..."

Walker was a brilliant man.

However, he probably didn't envision us settling on mediocrity like so many of our own fans seem so willing to accept. Viva little middle.

How in the world did we go from Walker to 7 Wood and his cuck in charge of MT athletics?

A coach at Ole Miss or Missouri or Kentucky or Virginia or a bunch of other P5 schools would leave to take the job at FSU. The coach leaving for an elite job is a non-factor. Their bowl record is a non-factor. What matters is stature of the program, winning, fan base, growing, etc. And in those categories - the ones that really matter - it's a no contest right now.
Correct. Just the Cotton Bowl attendance alone by the Memphis fanbase would have filled Floyd Stadium 1.5x
Donations have skyrocketed for Tiger Football and Basketball. And without either one winning in the postseason for the last 3 years. There is HOPE and Excitement. And both Head Coaches are salesmen.

New Memphis Coach Ryan Silverfield
gets 5 yrs. / $9.25 million and $3 million annually for his staff.

Buyout for first 3 years is $1.5 million if he leaves for another gig.

They overpaid. Dumb hire.
You are clueless. Silverfield has consistently out recruited Middle Tennessee in Middle Tennessee. Three starters next year in the defensive secondary are from Stratford (T.J. Carter - 3 year starter) Nashville East (Jason Perkins) Ensworth (Rodney Owens).
All American candidate at Left Tackle and 5-star from Davidson Academy (Obinna Eze) and All AAC Punter (Adam Williams from Wilson Central). There are a dozen players on the Memphis roster from the Nashville MSA.

Overpaid? How about this one.......,

Richard Stockstill
  • Department Football Regular Season
  • Title Head Coach
  • Salary 821,704.14 X 7 guaranteed

Last edited:
We should have a friendly wager among fans to see if he is over or under .500 when he retires or leaves. Pool goes to a charity.

You are clueless. Silverfield has consistently out recruited Middle Tennessee in Middle Tennessee. Three starters next year in the defensive secondary are from Stratford (T.J. Carter - 3 year starter) Nashville East (Jason Perkins) Ensworth (Rodney Owens).
All American candidate at Left Tackle and 5-star from Davidson Academy (Obinna Eze) and All AAC Punter (Adam Williams from Wilson Central). There are a dozen players on the Memphis roster from the Nashville MSA.

Overpaid? How about this one.......,

Richard Stockstill
  • Department Football Regular Season
  • Title Head Coach
  • Salary 821,704.14 X 7 guaranteed

LOL. Whatever.

Last edited:
How can you whatever that? Our athletic dept is in a death spiral and we have a lot of people who are supposed to be the most die hard acting like things are gravy. SMH.

How can you whatever that? Our athletic dept is in a death spiral and we have a lot of people who are supposed to be the most die hard acting like things are gravy. SMH.

I don't see you standing outside the HOF building with a pickett sign. How bout all 10 of us riot JRF and get tased before we reach gate 1. Nothing we can do bro. So it is whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT