ADVERTISEMENT

If CUSA survives and adds....

Stock's got to go no matter what. Until that happens, my interest in MT Football is limited to just passing through here once or twice a week. The SEC could call, and i'm still not coming to a game until he's gone. It's kind of personal at this point - he might be a nice guy, but I really don't like him and what he's done to our program. I don't ever hate a bad coach who tries hard - failure is human. But a coach who loses because they lack effort pi$$es me off.

But there's no indications that Massaro/McPhee are unhappy with the lack of competitiveness of the football program, so the idea of getting this windfall to get us out of the contract trap were in seems like wishful thinking. Remember, we're here by design. They'll probably get that cash, re-pave the tennis court, and add a couple of easily attainable incentives to everyone's contract, and pat each other on the back.

I could live with some FCS move ups, if it's the right ones. We need programs that have established football programs with actual live breathing fans. I could live with SHSU. I could live with Mizzou State.

No more "We need a program in X state, so random JUCO sounding U with no fans sounds great!" Not some University PR firm with a powerpoint about eyeballs and TV sets in X market. That's how we got into this predicament.
SHSU and Mizzou st will force the issue. Charlotte, USM, Rice and ODU wouldv'e never forced it.

I still think i'd prefer the stability of the MAC.

The MAC has a bunch of cheap-o budget conscious programs that don't try very hard with meh facilities, meh recruiting efforts, meh coaches. We're the most perfect fit out there.

When you're a special ed student, you're better off in special ed classes with special ed students than running with the bullies at recess.

Does the opponent really matter? Winning seems to be the main driving factor when it comes to fan support, not necessarily quality of opponent. Unless you're a G5 team competing for the NY6 spot, and MT is not that, my thinking is it's better to win a lot of games in a weaker conference, thus gaining more fan support and possibly national recognition.

Sun Belt will be a much better football conference than whatever C-USA becomes and I'm perfectly fine with that. USM/ODU couldn't win in C-USA, they will have no better luck winning in SBC.

The MAC has a bunch of cheap-o budget conscious programs that don't try very hard with meh facilities, meh recruiting efforts, meh coaches. We're the most perfect fit out there.

When you're a special ed student, you're better off in special ed classes with special ed students than running with the bullies at recess.
Not gonna happen. If we are gonna do that, Add Uconn and Monmouth to cusa. LOL. By the time you travel to Western and central Michigan alone, you might as well add NDSU and SDSU.

Does the opponent really matter? Winning seems to be the main driving factor when it comes to fan support, not necessarily quality of opponent. Unless you're a G5 team competing for the NY6 spot, and MT is not that, my thinking is it's better to win a lot of games in a weaker conference, thus gaining more fan support and possibly national recognition.

Sun Belt will be a much better football conference than whatever C-USA becomes and I'm perfectly fine with that. USM/ODU couldn't win in C-USA, they will have no better luck winning in SBC.
It does matter because there will be less gimmie games and years of getting blasted will force the hand. Stock will be bailed out this year by weak ass opponents such as ODU, USM and FIU. Replace 2 of those with SHSU and MSU with a possible Jacksonville st. and you have more resistence than before.

I'm not downing SHSU, but they haven't won back-to-back titles. They won one, after a 3 game season, with many players/teams opting out. However, they are traditionally a very good FCS team that's ranked. Missouri State has been really bad for decades, but are 4-3 this year and ranked (for some reason.) FCS rankings can be comical sometimes. In their previous five complete season, from 2015-19, they won a total of 13 games. That's rabble. However, they started making a stronger effort to win about 6 years ago. The first coach wasn't a good hire, but now Bobby Petrino has them looking much better. Their basketball makes them more attractive though.

SHSU ain't rabble. That program is as good or way better than any of the teams leaving. They are about BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPS. No.1 right now. Mizzou state's b ball is better than anyone here and their FB team is ranked in FBS. That ain't rabble. Those 2 teams are competitive upgrades ready to go now. Bro the CUSA teams leaving except 2 have been straight upo turds. UTSA is winning THIS YEAR. What did they do from 13 til now? What other sports have they contributed in? UAB and Marshall are the 2 best complete programs leaving. Everyone else are sporadic crap fests. We were the weakest conference BECAUSE OF THEM. Them leaving is the best thing that could happen. We would have nev er even had the chance to get better with htem. Now we do. Get Mizzou st and SHSU and we are better. Those 2 teams can tangle with anyone in the belt right now. ODU and USM sure as hell can't. LT, MT, WKU, SHSU, M st., FIU with a new coach, NMSU, and UTEP is not bad at all considering all of the turd birds we had dragging us down. Now that's gotta happen and may not. I have zero faith in Judy but if that does, we are way better off than we were with enough money to get to a proven state.
Marshall, UAB and FAU hurt. The others, not so much.

My preference for 10 teams:

West
SHSU
Missouri State
UTEP
LT
NMSU

East
MTSU
WKU
FIU
EKU (Minus for 8 team conference)
Chattanooga/JSU (Minus for 8 team conference)

I'm not downing SHSU, but they haven't won back-to-back titles. They won one, after a 3 game season, with many players/teams opting out. However, they are traditionally a very good FCS team that's ranked. Missouri State has been really bad for decades, but are 4-3 this year and ranked (for some reason.) FCS rankings can be comical sometimes. In their previous five complete season, from 2015-19, they won a total of 13 games. That's rabble. However, they started making a stronger effort to win about 6 years ago. The first coach wasn't a good hire, but now Bobby Petrino has them looking much better. Their basketball makes them more attractive though.
I think the poster is saying SHSU will win another title this year. They are number one and blowing everyone out. Missouri State has been bad in football for sure. However they’ve been playing in the SEC of the FCS not the bottom feeder of the FBS. That conference would win a lot of games head to head with the current CUSA lineup.

Reactions: MT Glenn
If that is what CM is doing, awesome. I would support that plan.

But being Debbie Downer, if Stock is bought out or even retires, do we trust CM to find a qualified replacement that can be successful to our standards and not those of McPhee?

Or will that not happen until not only Stock is gone, but CM and McPhee are as well?
Yep, as long as 7 wood is here, I have no faith in anything.

BTW, Marshall just annouced Brad Smith (a different one than we knew) as the new pres and the AD still said...

“We have made no decision about what conference we are going to go in, whether it will stay in C-USA or go into another conference,” he said. “We have gathered information. I have shared that information with Dr. (Jerome) Gilbert and Chairman (Patrick) Farrell.”

I don't think they could piss off their fan base any better than what they are doing right now. If they don't pull the trigger. LOL. There will be riots in Huntington. Also, we just got WAY BETTER. Bring in SHSU and Mizzou st. and we ain't weak at all. Again, probably doesn't go down but that would be AWESOME! LOL.

Last edited:
I said they are about to be back to back. They are better this season than last year when they won it. Also, even when they didn't win it, they have been in the playoff picture most years recently. You know good and hell well that they would destroy 95% of the current CUSA right now.

Mizzou st has petrino now and are playing in a competitive league. Their basketball is off the chain. They ain't rabble. LOL. Who you got that's a better option than those 2? BTW, how in the world are they worse than ODU, Charlotte, UNT, USM and RICE? LOL. They are major upgrades over all of those clowns.

LOL

hard to argue. Perfect analogy.

SHSU, Missouri State, and Jacksonville St would be good additions from an athletics/budget standpoint. Not sure about logistics (is Mo St. regional enough?) but those are solid programs in football and basketball and they have good fan support.

my biggest concern is the people in charge. Judy and Massaro in her ear. Will they add the right schools ?

Reactions: mtfblue
Didn’t Austin say that there were legitimate rumors that Stock was going to retire after last season before Brent (Stockstill) was hired? And didn’t Brent’s wife say on social media they were only going to be in the boro for 1 year? I know it’s just rumors, but who knows? Maybe Stock will retire in a few weeks? Anyway, all these guys are getting older (McPhee, Massero, and Stock). It’s just a matter of time, which I think is pretty soon, when all these guys retire. The next hires will be crucial for MT and we will truly see what their vision is as far as taking athletics seriously. Coaches can win at MT in both the revenue sports, so I think it’ll be an attractive gig(s)

He may retire, may not. Stock is a problem but he’s down on the problem list for me. McPhee and Massaro are #1 on that list. Our terrible facilities are #2 and bad coaches fill out the rest

I would like a new head coach, but if we keep sending our guys to gun fights with a knife, we will continue to see the same results

you have to have equal or better facilities to compete fairly with your peers. I remember complaining about our facilities circa 2006 because Troy had much nicer facilities and was beating us on every recruit we went head to head with. 15 years later and we still have those garbage facilities while everyone else has continued to build even better ones. A complete and total failure of leadership to allow this. It really makes you wonder how Massaro still has a job, but then you remind yourself 7wood is his boss and you realize how incompetence has been allowed to flourish.

our tv deal is also a huge problem. Recruits want to see their potential schools playing on ESPN, not stadium TV, beIN sports, CBSSN, etc. I think a big part of the death of CUSA is the TV deal and not being on ESPN. ESPN is behind all this restructuring and guess who’s not in their corner ? Our dumbasses. TV money is peanuts anyway who cares if ESPN bids a little lower?? The exposure from ESPN more than makes up if they bid lower. How do these clowns not comprehend that ?

it’s been just one bad decision after another from our leaders and conference. It’s such bad management it almost feels like intentional sabotage. I have so much disdain for this university and it grows by the year. It’s why I have been a vocal proponent of considering just shutting it all down. There are simply too many stupid people in charge and they are not getting replaced any time soon.

Put me out of my misery already, please!

SHSU, Missouri State, and Jacksonville St would be good additions from an athletics/budget standpoint. Not sure about logistics (is Mo St. regional enough?) but those are solid programs in football and basketball and they have good fan support.

my biggest concern is the people in charge. Judy and Massaro in her ear. Will they add the right schools ?
No worse than if we went to the MAC. All over Michigan, Ohio, indiana and upstate New York.

No worse than if we went to the MAC. All over Michigan, Ohio, indiana and upstate New York.

'Boro to CMU is 637 miles. Buffalo is 737.

To Missouri State is 461
Marshall 370
Charlotte 409
LA Tech 577
FIU 878
UTEP 1325

Like I've said in other posts, I'm selfish.
I just want a conference mate I can drive to and back I'm the same day. Lol. I'm only
Charlotte 170
Marshall 158
Ohio U 193
MT 395

I thought Liberty already said no.
Not officially. They have been on the horn a lot from what's being said. Looks like we are gonna get em. It makes sense for their other sports too. Also, this may be another reason why Marshall has been dragging their feet.

Last edited:
I just threw up a little

why?

NMSu isn’t ideal but gives UTEP a partner and helps solidify a west division. NMSU has really good basketball and is a big rival to UTEP. Having UTEP and NMSU as rivals in the conference I think is okay.

liberty would be a huge get. I think their football comes back down to earth soon (and they know that too) so liberty needs to make a move while they have this clout. Liberty has a great hoops program too. Makes sense for Liberty to strike while the iron is hot.

Uconn for football only does seem bad. That one is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I can’t think of any sensible reasons why we would do that unless there’s more announcements to come that will provide some clarity. I would rather take an FCS than Uconn football only.

why?

NMSu isn’t ideal but gives UTEP a partner and helps solidify a west division. NMSU has really good basketball and is a big rival to UTEP. Having UTEP and NMSU as rivals in the conference I think is okay.

liberty would be a huge get. I think their football comes back down to earth soon (and they know that too) so liberty needs to make a move while they have this clout. Liberty has a great hoops program too. Makes sense for Liberty to strike while the iron is hot.

Uconn for football only does seem bad. That one is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I can’t think of any sensible reasons why we would do that unless there’s more announcements to come that will provide some clarity. I would rather take an FCS than Uconn football only.
I agree about UCONN but this get's us our exit fee money and the CFB cash too. Go for it.

UConn has a lot of support and will likely have a good football program soon. The football affiliation may allow for a few basketball games as well.

UConn has a lot of support and will likely have a good football program soon. The football affiliation may allow for a few basketball games as well.

that’s fair. I don’t mind adding Uconn but I just wonder if a Jacksonville state would be better. I think we need to be building a south East type of league with a bridge to florida.

im pretty sure they are aiming for 10, 5 East and 5 west so we are not done

These moves are simply desperation trying to keep the conference afloat and save jobs.

Liberty is over 500 miles from both of it's nearest conference brethren (WKU and MT). But at least they have a pulse athletically. But with Charlotte and ODU and Marshall gone - why? What do they fill?

NMSU and UCONN are dead programs. Maybe you argue that NMSU can be a travel partner with UTEP. But UCONN brings nothing - that's a program that they are constantly debating on whether or not to drop football. They're also a thousand miles from Bowling Green KY.

No one would have been too enthused about FCS call ups, but at least if they picked the right ones, there's a chance to salvage a competitive conference of peer institutions with a tighter geographic footprint.

CUSA was unsuccessful and fell apart because they created a mish-mash conference of programs with little to no support/success/relationships with peers spread out across half the continent. The Sunbelt thrived because it took unsexy programs, but ones that actually had support, committed to their programs, and built brands that people wanted to see.

So, when CUSA gets raided, and we get a chance to rebuild the right way, what happens? - The same mistake again!

This isn't a viable conference. It's simply kicking the collapse can down the road a few more years.

Doug,
I think you are spot on. CUSA is dead and they are just finishing up the coffins. Poor leadership got MT and CUSA to this point. Collect what money we can and then rebuild with new leadership at MT. It is our only hope.

JAX ST
Jacksonville State football committed recruiting violations
  • One year of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine.
  • A three-week ban on all recruiting communications for the assistant coach during fall 2021.
  • An off-campus recruiting ban for the assistant coach for three days in fall 2021 and six days in spring 2022.

These moves are simply desperation trying to keep the conference afloat and save jobs.

Liberty is over 500 miles from both of it's nearest conference brethren (WKU and MT). But at least they have a pulse athletically. But with Charlotte and ODU and Marshall gone - why? What do they fill?

NMSU and UCONN are dead programs. Maybe you argue that NMSU can be a travel partner with UTEP. But UCONN brings nothing - that's a program that they are constantly debating on whether or not to drop football. They're also a thousand miles from Bowling Green KY.

No one would have been too enthused about FCS call ups, but at least if they picked the right ones, there's a chance to salvage a competitive conference of peer institutions with a tighter geographic footprint.

CUSA was unsuccessful and fell apart because they created a mish-mash conference of programs with little to no support/success/relationships with peers spread out across half the continent. The Sunbelt thrived because it took unsexy programs, but ones that actually had support, committed to their programs, and built brands that people wanted to see.

So, when CUSA gets raided, and we get a chance to rebuild the right way, what happens? - The same mistake again!

This isn't a viable conference. It's simply kicking the collapse can down the road a few more years.
It's what had to be done. Who else is aavilable that is ready now? Also, this gives CUSA time to add some FCS teams that can get ready to move up. Then those teams will get strong. UCONN is about to get a new coach. UCF went 0-12 not too long ago. So did Cinci. One coach changes a lot. Look at UTSA. We weren't gonna drop down to FCS and Judy and folks ain't saying bye bye to their paycheck so it is what it is. You can say it's desperate but ODU, Charlotte, UTSA up until now, UNT, and Rice have all been turds that dragged us to hell. If anything, we have been spared. I'll trade 5 turds for 2 and NMSU has good BBall. Liberty is better than just about any other G5 team that is staying G5. We upgraded by getting them. Marshall is still on the fence and there has been a bit of smoke there. It's interesting for sure but these weren't bad moves considering many thought we were done for. I knew that wasn't happening. Too much money is still there for that to go down.

that’s fair. I don’t mind adding Uconn but I just wonder if a Jacksonville state would be better. I think we need to be building a south East type of league with a bridge to florida.

We will add more teams moving forward. This is just to get us stable to collect the exit fees and such. Now they will have time to add other FCS teams and get them groomed to make the move. Everyone else is at capacity. We are the only conference with spots left. We can leverage that now since we have time to do it. Now we will have that time.

I am currently Head Coach of NMSU on NCAA Football '14, and I have had some really good success. They are a sleeping giant out there in Las Cruces. I honestly do not have any problem with NMSU being added. It helps UTEP out giving them a travel partner and they are FBS right now. If we only plan on getting to 10 teams, the East side of the conference would be done with MTSU, WKU, FIU, UCONN, and Liberty (if this happens). West would have LTU, UTEP, and NMSU. Add Sam Houston and apparently Tarleton State (hope not) and you would be done. Personally I would do McNeese over Tarleton, but no one has asked me.

What are the chances that if we snag Liberty we can convince Marshall to stay? That could create a domino effect and maybe bring along JMU as well? Wishful thinking obviously, but the only one that has officially applied is ODU. If those things were to happen it may even make ODU second guess their decision. I think the most likely scenario is we add NMSU, Liberty, and UCONN to get to 8 teams for football and then start discussions with FCS schools as others have said.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think an important thing to mention about UCONN is it would be a partial membership. That benefits us because if they drag us down it is really easy to get rid of them.

We will add more teams moving forward. This is just to get us stable to collect the exit fees and such. Now they will have time to add other FCS teams and get them groomed to make the move. Everyone else is at capacity. We are the only conference with spots left. We can leverage that now since we have time to do it. Now we will have that time.

The problem is desperation moves simply to stay afloat another year or two, vs making actual well-thought out moves that could benefit and grow the conference long term.

You can convince yourself that UCONN is some sleeping giant, but i'm telling you now, that program won't exist in 10 years. I travel to CT frequently for business, and UCONN football is on the verge of dropping the sport.

NMSU is one of the least competitive programs in all FBS. They bring no benefit to anyone outside of UTEP. We need to get rid of UTEP, not clone them. And now we're going to have to send our non-revenue sports out there multiple times a year. There's no real reason or benefit, other then they exist and we're desperate, to add them.

We're budget programs. And now your asking programs to travel additional thousands of miles outside of its footprint. How are these teams going to save money in order to re-invest and grow programs? Are UCONN and NMSU going to bring busloads of fans to Murfreesboro? You might not like J-Ville St, but they'd sell some away tix.

These moves, made ostensibly to rebuild or firm up the conference, will do nothing but cause trouble further down the line. This was the time to take a patient step back, consolidate the conference, find and vet those FCS diamonds in the rough, and find programs that are a good fit so we can rebuild the conference.

Instead, we called anyone that had helmets lying about, and said "PLEASE JOIN SO WE DON'T LOSE OUR JOBS"!!!!

Reactions: dukewayne and MTTim
The problem is desperation moves simply to stay afloat another year or two, vs making actual well-thought out moves that could benefit and grow the conference long term.

You can convince yourself that UCONN is some sleeping giant, but i'm telling you now, that program won't exist in 10 years. I travel to CT frequently for business, and UCONN football is on the verge of dropping the sport.

NMSU is one of the least competitive programs in all FBS. They bring no benefit to anyone outside of UTEP. We need to get rid of UTEP, not clone them. And now we're going to have to send our non-revenue sports out there multiple times a year. There's no real reason or benefit, other then they exist and we're desperate, to add them.

We're budget programs. And now your asking programs to travel additional thousands of miles outside of its footprint. How are these teams going to save money in order to re-invest and grow programs? Are UCONN and NMSU going to bring busloads of fans to Murfreesboro? You might not like J-Ville St, but they'd sell some away tix.

These moves, made ostensibly to rebuild or firm up the conference, will do nothing but cause trouble further down the line. This was the time to take a patient step back, consolidate the conference, find and vet those FCS diamonds in the rough, and find programs that are a good fit so we can rebuild the conference.

Instead, we called anyone that had helmets lying about, and said "PLEASE JOIN SO WE DON'T LOSE OUR JOBS"!!!!
Doug nails it.
I will also add CUSA will more then likely cease to exist once this circus ends.

This is about the only option this slow motion train wreck that’s transporting a dumpster fire called the MTxx athletics dept has aside from dropping back down.

The dysfunctional mismanagement and incompetence from McPhee on down has created this catastrophe, and there just aren’t
many options and frankly I don’t even see this one panning out. Out of those three the only one with any incentive to join is NMSU so if you want to force up a bunch of FCS schools who aren’t ready you’re probably going to get your wish.

That said, if I were advising McPhee and Massaro (which I’m not because they wouldn’t and never have listened to anything I have to say anyway), there is only one option that I view as viable and it’s a short term measure. There are number of different ways to do this but the key aspect of it is as follows:

1) Add three all sports members. At this point it really doesn’t matter who they are. Geographical options are all but dead here.

2) No negotiations to bring down exit fees by those leaving

3) There is no need to add more than three at this time, because MT, wkcc, FIU, and La Tech should all view this the same way. Collect as much exit fee, college football, and NCAA Tourney revenues as possible over the couple of years. UTEP probably sees C-USA as it’s last hope because the MWC is never inviting them.

4) Spend the next couple of years doing one last thing. Position the university for what may be the final opportunity to have a viable conference situation. There a few ways to do this but the key ones are going to include the following musts:
- Fire the basketball coach​
- Finally start breaking ground on these freaking promised facility upgrades​
- Consistent and persistent communication with not only league offices at the AAC and Sind Belt (probably the MAC too) but with administrative leaders of schools within those conferences so that we a) know every conversation that’s being had about potential membership opportunities and b) demonstrate an epic level of proactiveness so they none of them can go to bed at night without Middle Tennessee being the last thing they think about. Every one of them should be like “dammit Massaro is calling again. Send him to my voicemail.”​

Wiley Jacksonville state is in Alabama on the border of 1-20 west in GA. No bridge is being built with them to florida. There are no programs south that could build that bridge.

Reactions: ewglenn
Didn’t Austin say that there were legitimate rumors that Stock was going to retire after last season before Brent (Stockstill) was hired? And didn’t Brent’s wife say on social media they were only going to be in the boro for 1 year? I know it’s just rumors, but who knows? Maybe Stock will retire in a few weeks? Anyway, all these guys are getting older (McPhee, Massero, and Stock). It’s just a matter of time, which I think is pretty soon, when all these guys retire. The next hires will be crucial for MT and we will truly see what their vision is as far as taking athletics seriously. Coaches can win at MT in both the revenue sports, so I think it’ll be an attractive gig(s)
There was speculation Stock would retire after last season. And speculation in the coaching world continues to swirl around Stock's retirement. How much is legitimate & how much is negative recruiting? Only Stock knows.

But Stockstill is 63 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT