ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING hmm......

Stock has always said that if there is a local kid that has good D1 talent, we will recruit him over out of state kids. I personally think it's a load of B.S.

I don't know anything about this kid but we should be putting the full court press on any D1 caliber kid in Rutherford and surrounding counties.

Last edited:
Maybe the kid really wants to go to Rice or maybe Rick knows something that Rice doesn't.

Lets see where he signs. Long way to go. Rice is a terrible football program. Not sure I'm too upset about this. Let's see how his senior year pans out.

We rarely know the real reasons which affect a single athlete's decision. But it must be said that MT, regardless of sport, seldom is the choice of area athletes. We never, after 20 years of being D-1 in all sports, get area D-1 talent, much less high profile recruits. When lists of prospects and All Mid-State teams come out in the media MT is rarely mentioned as a choice. Even Dean Hayes with all his accolades never gets elite area track stars.

The problem can be laid at the fact that mid-state athletes, their families, their high school coaches, and others the athletes come into contact with know that MT is not respected in the area as either an athletic or academic destination. Everyone locally knows about the lack of funds, the attendance woes, and the lack of media attention. Why consider MT when we are no more thought of than the area's FCS $#&-major schools. No wonder MT has better recruiting success away from the mid-state.

(As an aside: Mo Patton is a MT grad, closet MT fan, was at The Tennessean for years (primarily covering high school sports and was IIRC the VU beat writer for a time) before they began the purge while cutting back on staff. He is a good guy who now writes for the Columbia Daily Herald, among other pursuits.)

We rarely know the real reasons which affect a single athlete's decision. But it must be said that MT, regardless of sport, seldom is the choice of area athletes. We never, after 20 years of being D-1 in all sports, get area D-1 talent, much less high profile recruits. When lists of prospects and All Mid-State teams come out in the media MT is rarely mentioned as a choice. Even Dean Hayes with all his accolades never gets elite area track stars.

The problem can be laid at the fact that mid-state athletes, their families, their high school coaches, and others the athletes come into contact with know that MT is not respected in the area as either an athletic or academic destination. Everyone locally knows about the lack of funds, the attendance woes, and the lack of media attention. Why consider MT when we are no more thought of than the area's FCS $#&-major schools. No wonder MT has better recruiting success away from the mid-state.

(As an aside: Mo Patton is a MT grad, closet MT fan, was at The Tennessean for years (primarily covering high school sports and was IIRC the VU beat writer for a time) before they began the purge while cutting back on staff. He is a good guy who now writes for the Columbia Daily Herald, among other pursuits.)
The only caveat I would add is, and this coming from someone who does not reside in TN, is that women’s basketball seems to do a reasonable job of keeping some home grown talent here. Certainly they lose out on some, especially higher profile programs, which I understand. The harsh reality is, some kids just want to go away to school for the experience of being on their own, or for whatever reason. All in all, though, they seem to keep their fair share home.

Come on...if your 18 and lived your whole live in the Boro, your first reaction is to get out of town for college if your one who will get an athletic scholarship.

Secondly losing a local athlete to Rice is no shame. Only roughly 8% that apply to Rice get accepted. Its an elite university on the par with the Harvard's and Princeton's. The kid could be really smart and is looking at more than FB.

He’s no bigger than a minute but he can fly.

Ravenwood will be a contender for the Class 6A title this year because of a QB who is a winner. They also have a lineman committed to Ole Miss and another lineman who chose Duke over Mich St and Vandy.

I have spoken with some high school coaches who say MT is scared to go after their kids who are high major prospects because they know they dont have a chance. I think that is a dumb move. Why not build a relationship. We all know how many kids transfer each year. Why not have that relationship in place so when these kids get sick of riding the bench at the big name schools and they look to transfer you already have a leg up on other schools.

i thought David Bibee retired because he was burnt out. he coaching DB's at UTC.

Im so tired of this. It is so tough to be an MT fan.

I don't understand the obsession with recruiting kids in our area. I don't recall anyone being some superstar coming out of the mid-state region (correct me if I'm wrong) for any team anywhere.

I understand people might think Tennessee football is great, but I'll take kids from other parts of the country 9 times out of 10. Alabama, Atlanta, South Florida, Texas, etc. Football is a religion in some of those places. Tennessee football is a joke by comparison.

If our coaches thought they could land talented area kids, I'm sure they'd be doing it.

And it's not like we never sign kids in our area, or at least try. The Elder kid anyone? Who thought he was too good for MT and signed with Charlotte? What an idiot.

We signed a good OL player Steven Losoya out of Nashville in just this recent signing class....Last year we grabbed a very talented Jerek Campbell right out of the Boro and Dawson Bragg out of White house that's only an hour away. Both of these players are starter material.....

People need to get over the local D1 product thing. Straight up. Considering our pathetic facilities and inept administration, we've signed enough talent the last several years that has allowed us to compete near the top of the league year in and year out. There isn't much more you can ask for, other than a Conference championship of course (Which we should have won last year.....). But that's on our bonehead coaching staff. 12 players on the field anyone????????

It’s about building relationships. Even if you don’t think you have any chance to ever landing the guy. You don’t know what the future holds.

Austin Kendall picked WVU when he left Oklahoma because of his previous relationship with Neal Brown, who had tried to recruit him in the past. Yes Neal would up at a different school after that but the point is still made.

Reactions: FootballKuato
Pretty sure Kermit tried to recruit Nick King out of high school and when he was transferring from Memphis.

It’s about building relationships. Even if you don’t think you have any chance to ever landing the guy. You don’t know what the future holds.

Austin Kendall picked WVU when he left Oklahoma because of his previous relationship with Neal Brown, who had tried to recruit him in the past. Yes Neal would up at a different school after that but the point is still made.

Sure....but you can only develop X number of relationships. They can't recruit every kid in the country. I personally would rather them focus their time and resources in talent rich areas, where building relationships is more likely to yield better players and on a more frequent basis.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
This argument about just how hard to recruit locally is similar to the disagreement some of us have about whether to promote the progaram exclusively in M'Boro/Rutherford and then branch out or to promote the Mid-State at the same time. I see both sides to each issue but IMHO it is important, for a school in MT's situation without a large built-in fan base to do what I call local "complementary" recruiting. With what little I know through my high school contacts I am aware of several instances where local players get numerous offers and would be receptive to listening to MT but are never contacted.

Even if you realize you will probably not be able to attract a local recruit make him reject you and try to leave the recruit, his high school coach, his family and friends with a better impression of MT than they previously had. You never know when a relationship with someone will pay off in the future.

I can see both arguments as well. I get focusing on talent rich areas and focusing recruiting there, but Murfreesboro and Middle Tennessee as a whole is starting to get better college football talent. It is better than it was 10-15 years ago. Focus on Georgia, Florida, etc., but maybe head out to Oakland when they are playing Maryville, Riverdale, etc.

Agreed, there is probably some Power 5 talent that gets homesick or isn't having the success (read playing time) they imagined and are looking for alternatives now that the transfer portal is available. Obviously you can't take everyone but developing those local relationships would make that first phone call nice and easy and will probably score you a visit once they return to the area on break.

It was mentioned about MTSU not making offers to local kids, you don't want to be a program that is throwing out 400 offers it makes you look desperate, probably is a headache for coaches to track that many kids but I would say you plant the bug..."we'd love to have you and you have an we'd offer if you are interested but we know you probably have your heart set on {insert P5 school here} but here's my card and call me if you're interested in playing local". However it would be nice to have a little Lane Kiffin in our swagger and make some BHAG offers to some select locals.

Reactions: coachchia
I don't understand the obsession with recruiting kids in our area. I don't recall anyone being some superstar coming out of the mid-state region (correct me if I'm wrong) for any team anywhere.

I understand people might think Tennessee football is great, but I'll take kids from other parts of the country 9 times out of 10. Alabama, Atlanta, South Florida, Texas, etc. Football is a religion in some of those places. Tennessee football is a joke by comparison.

If our coaches thought they could land talented area kids, I'm sure they'd be doing it.

And it's not like we never sign kids in our area, or at least try. The Elder kid anyone? Who thought he was too good for MT and signed with Charlotte? What an idiot.

We signed a good OL player Steven Losoya out of Nashville in just this recent signing class....Last year we grabbed a very talented Jerek Campbell right out of the Boro and Dawson Bragg out of White house that's only an hour away. Both of these players are starter material.....

People need to get over the local D1 product thing. Straight up. Considering our pathetic facilities and inept administration, we've signed enough talent the last several years that has allowed us to compete near the top of the league year in and year out. There isn't much more you can ask for, other than a Conference championship of course (Which we should have won last year.....). But that's on our bonehead coaching staff. 12 players on the field anyone????????
Lets see I can easily give you ten names of mid-state guys who are currently playing in the NFL...
Corn Elder
Ugo Amadi
Rashaan Gaulden
Jalen Hurd
Jalen Ramsey
Cj Bethard
I'tavius Mathers( injured and got realeased)
Benny Cunningham
Donte Hightower
Shaq Mason
Derrick Barnett
Josh Malone
Again outside of Benny all of these kids went P5 but like someone said just build the relationship. It worked for I'tavius who went to Ole Miss before transferring here. Just to give you an idea, Stock did't even recruit his own son because he didnt think he wanted to play at Middle. let that sink in

I’m gonna be brutally honest. When recruits come to Murfreesboro and attend a game what do you think goes through their minds when they see less than 5,000 people in the stands? For freaking Homecoming!
Fans have begged for new leadership. Attendance reflects this. Me included.
Right now, the current regime is content to just get by on a $225 per student activity fee stipend dedicated to Athletics instead of actually DOING something to generate revenue from a quality product.

Major change is needed from top to bottom. AD, Head Coach, Staff.
New energy, new ideas, new culture.

https://www.mtsu.edu/tuition/forms/18-19ProgramServFee.pdf

Last edited:
5,811 for the C-USA Championship game.

Most of them (Williamson and Rutherford County prospects) play in front of more fans at their HS games.

“We got to do a better job of reaching our fans, we got to make the games more fun to attend and we got several ideas we’re trying to queue up this year.” Chris Massaro, DNJ 4/6/19

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...dance-floyd-stadium-chris-massaro/3134227002/

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
5,811 for the C-USA Championship game.

Most of them (Williamson and Rutherford County prospects) play in front of more fans at their HS games.

“We got to do a better job of reaching our fans, we got to make the games more fun to attend and we got several ideas we’re trying to queue up this year.” Chris Massaro, DNJ 4/6/19

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...dance-floyd-stadium-chris-massaro/3134227002/

Worst promoted game of Massaro's disappointing career here. That game should have been considered our Super Bowl. A chance to really make an impact and showcase what we have. Give tickets away to fill it up, bring in Byard and any other MT athlete that went pro and put them on the sidelines for the cameras to see, pump it up with the local media that we had a Championship game in town !!!!! They should have pull out ALL the stops for that one.

But what happened? Absolutely nothing. It was worse than a regular season game. I really think they missed a golden opportunity with that one. That was the final straw with that administration as far as I'm concerned. A complete embarrassment and I can't support it much more than being just a casual fan anymore. I'll watch if it's on TV, but that's all I can commit to.

Well if they gave away tickets and could only get 5K to attend, I'm not sure there strategy worked too well. Could they have offered free transportation (party bus) to pickup around town and all over MT or something to make it easier for people to go? Did they leverage the media at all to flood the market with free tickets? Again, probably a half ass rollout if that's all they got to attend.

I didn't see Byard at all. But what about other former athletes or just notable people that are MT alumni? Would have been a great PR move.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
One thing I will say is that the disconnect between MT and its fan base is one that's mired in perception. What do fans and alumni actually value? Space pointed to the failures against wkcc and Vanderbilt as an existential threat to our fan base's psyche. Another has to be lack of championships.

Yet, look at conference records of the top three programs since MT joined C-USA. Might surprise you...

Middle Tenn- 33-15
Marshall- 32-17
La Tech- 31-17

I actually tallied total football and basketball wins over the past five years in league play (and posted this to the CUSA board). No one is even close to MT and that's even after the horrid hoops season last year.

1. Middle Tennessee 98
2. Old Dominion 85
3. Louisiana Tech 84
4. Marshall 82
5. Western Kentucky 74

In my opinion, this boils down to the leadership again. It probably goes to game day atmosphere and inability by MT leadership to create a viable fan experience (or at least understanding what the fanbase values). More fans in attendance improves the atmosphere, but the university has never taken novel and proactive approaches. The "promotions" are stagnant. Same every year. Like blackout. Hall of Fame game and Salute to Veterans. And the "promotion" from a multi-media perspective has often done nothing but further alienate the fan base (i.e. sunshine pumping bowl eligibility as an example). But performance hasn't been terrible. Can you imagine if we had a football progam that instead of 33 conference wins over the past six seasons had just 15? So, the product itself isn't terrible, but there have been some misses for sure. IMO, the underlying problem is MT keeps doing the same thing hoping for a different result. The experience is what has become stale.

I had a sit down conversation with Massaro about five years ago. Right after Brent's RS Freshman season. He wanted to figure out how to market Brent to get people to come to games. I looked at him and said that's a good idea on the surface. But what happens if Brent gets hurt? Regret that prognostication now. The solution to this problem is selling a novel one-of-kind experience. Not specific accomplishments or players. Get the fans there first and then they will develop an affinity for the names on the jerseys and achievements. This is how minor league baseball survives. And if we are going to survive in Division I-A two things are going to have to happen. 1) A cultural revolution at the university. 2) Make MT football and basketball an event not a game to attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I for one like the tradition of the "Black Out" & Salute to Service.. I think it would have better to have notable alumni at the championship game and perhaps a free concert after... Make it a party..

Well if they gave away tickets and could only get 5K to attend, I'm not sure there strategy worked too well. Could they have offered free transportation (party bus) to pickup around town and all over MT or something to make it easier for people to go? Did they leverage the media at all to flood the market with free tickets? Again, probably a half ass rollout if that's all they got to attend.

I didn't see Byard at all. But what about other former athletes or just notable people that are MT alumni? Would have been a great PR move.
One of the biggest problems was the weather. Cold and windy with possible rain. I will tell you I got stadium club seats for that game and when I as outside it was frigid with the wind blowing.

I think it’s Murfreesboro. It’s a brand city, Chain restaurants fare better than independent restaurants. Only one actual brewery in the entire city. I didn’t really notice it when I lived there.

In Chattanooga where I am now, we have 12 breweries. Chain restaurants close while independent restaurants flourish, Two professional soccer teams draw over 3,000 fans when they play on the same night.

I just don’t think it’s in Murfreesboro’s culture to get behind a school like MT and help it grow. They want something at a higher level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT