ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hawaii

I'm not sure they can stop the extensions....someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Isn't the current contract written in a way that guarantees extensions for 7+ wins (among other qualifications), in perpetuity?

It was lowered back to six

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Poster 1 - "I would love to have 1 Conference Championship in over 20 years of Division 1 Football"
Poster 2 - "You are toxic and I am leaving this message board" but never does
Toxic is turning EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD into a doom and gloom thread. Its just tiring. We dont like SMM. We all know.

Reactions: crposton
Interesting listen. Rick, in his own words, basically agrees with me that MT is a glorified JUCO for the Power 5's.
Then use that to your advantage. Tell that RB that was offered a PWO at Tennessee to come to us, play immediately and win a championship. Then if TN picks you up, that's ok. Become a showcase for good players.

But I guess that makes too much sense.

Then use that to your advantage. Tell that RB that was offered a PWO at Tennessee to come to us, play immediately and win a championship. Then if TN picks you up, that's ok. Become a showcase for good players.

But I guess that makes too much sense.

He talked about it more from a development standpoint. We spend 2 years developing an OL player, getting his weight and muscle mass up in a college weight room. Then once he’s ready to be a war daddy and key player for us, he transfers to a power 5 school.

We had 4 starting OL do just that last year.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
It was lowered back to six
That's the truth. 6 gets him another year automatically. Doesn't matter if he loses 5 years in a row. Win 6 and it's extended to 2030. Also Stock gets a state pension when he does retire. He's setup for life. I'm done being mad everyday about it because we can't change it. It's a great deal for Stock so kudos to his agent. If Massaro (who also gets a state pension) drafted this, then he is a moron without limits. However, I’m only focusing on matters at hand. We are 7-5 with a bowl game coming up. Could be much worse.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
That's the truth. 6 gets him another year automatically. Doesn't matter if he loses 5 years in a row. Win 6 and it's extended to 2030. Also Stock gets a state pension when he does retire. He's setup for life. I'm done being mad everyday about it because we can't change it. It's a great deal for Stock so kudos to his agent. If Massaro (who also gets a state pension) drafted this, then he is a moron without limits. However, I’m only focusing on matters at hand. We are 7-5 with a bowl game coming up. Could be much worse.
WVU let go of their AD Lyons mainly because he gave Neal Brown an extension after two years when he was .500. Upped his buyout from $1.5m to $20m for this year. The state uproar is crazy (even more so now that Baker has stated Brown will be back, but on thin ice). So the school used Lyons as scapegoat.

He gave an in depth interview this week and essentially threw the President and board under the bus, but he had a point. He may have come up with the extension idea, but the President, VP, and board signed off on it.

Same here. It's got Massaro and McPhees signatures on it too. Which is why I'm more frustrated with them than Stock. And it still could not quite be the same and it not be Massaro's idea. I think there is a major disconnect there between Massaro and McPhee and the board. Austin has discovered as much and even Murphy who drives us crazy has stated that.

Rotten to the core. Hard to support a program that orchestrates a contract like this and then works like hell to get everyone to accept it when the end result is perpetual mediocrity. They messed up big time and take no accountability what so ever. It’s the fans fault?

I’ll look up the score Saturday nights and watch on tv when it fits my schedule.

Used to bleed blue, braa, season tickets. I watch the Vols now.

Rotten to the core. Hard to support a program that orchestrates a contract like this and then works like hell to get everyone to accept it when the end result is perpetual mediocrity. They messed up big time and take no accountability what so ever. It’s the fans fault?

I’ll look up the score Saturday nights and watch on tv when it fits my schedule.

Used to bleed blue, braa, season tickets. I watch the Vols now.
Congratulations.

And by the way let's understand with the CFP just announcing today the expansion of the playoff to 12, bowl games are going to become even more irrelevant and meaningless than they are already are. So, the premise that the standard at MT is simply to get to .500 and a bowl game is going to be even less valuable.

Once the expanded playoff goes into effect people are going to care about the bowl games even less. Perhaps when every other program across the nation sets their site on making the playoff MT will actually raise the standard to winning a conference championship at least once every 30 years.

New Playoff Format
-12 Teams
- Six highest conference champs and the six highest other non-champs
- Starts in '24

24 and 25 will be "experimental years" as the CFP chair said. But he brought up a good point. He said the G5 moniker is gone now.

Conference Championships are literally the only guage now. Once things are finalized for 26 and the new deal for the playoff, something will have to give for MT. Because you are right. .500 and bowls won't cut it anymore.

I've said before there is zero reason once the right people are in place that MT can be ranked and win Championships. This makes it all the more important and I really hope CM and McPhee especially aren't blinded to that fact.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
If any of you are interested in how an AD addresses fans on a mediocre season then venture over to MT.org. Thread title is letter from AD. I would post a link but I can't from my phone.
Mr. DeLeon- maybe you should mention to your boss he may want to get off his ass and write a letter to the fans the he and the rest if the incompetents are not happy with mediocre seasons and will work with the staff to thrive for more. Most of us know it is BS but it may show some he is trying.

G5's are gonna hardly get into the CFP even with 12. The at large bids will always win out.

G5's are gonna hardly get into the CFP even with 12. The at large bids will always win out.

The way it will be setup will assure the SEC and Big10 are well represented.

Oh, I guarantee the at-large will go to the big boys. SEC/B1G champ game loser.

But what excites me is a "G5" champnis guaranteed a spot at the table. So what if they are lowest seed and play the 5th (first 4 are byes) but they have a chance. Creates opportunity for a Cinderella just like March does.

Plus there will be times, based on past seasons final rankings, that two G5s could make it and a P5 champ have to get in as an at-large because it is the 6 highest ranked champs period.

Is the system perfect, no. I think the season should be reduced to 11 games, start week zero and give 2 byes, and make it 16 teams. All conf champs and 6 at large. But it is a start and better that what it is now.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
I’ve said for a while now that if I were a coach I’d go almost exclusively to the portal for players. Burn their first free transfer so you know what you are working with (unless they changed that rule). Plus we’d get older more physically matured guys.

ADVERTISEMENT