ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Group of 5 university rankings

You’ll need to be more specific. Legislature? State agency? Governor’s office? And how is MT treated poorly?
How about THEC? They're the group that saddled the school with the chicom loving Bahamian golfer. And why is he still here after 20+ years? Does he have under the table benefits he can't live without?

In 1990, I was told that alums had secured $30 million to purchase The Nashville School of Law. The aim was for Todd to house the law library and the school would build a new library.

What occurred? The state blocked MT and gave tsu $30 million to negotiate the purchase of the law school. Flash forward 30 years, and the door opens for MT to receive the Valparaiso law school, which, of course, never happens.

Did the ut-pulaski law school factor into the denial of the acquisition of the Valparaiso law school?

What about a school name change? In 1989 the student body voted to change the school's name to the University of Middle Tennessee.

So, no law school, no name change, and a school president convicted of sexual harassment whose primary mission appears to be creating programs for tsu.

State politics, and likely dirty money, have held this university back.

Last edited:
Valpo law failed because of over extending admissions to unqualified applicants to justify the existence of the law school. This has been a common problem since the Great Recession and Valpo’s law school isn’t the only one that met a similar fate as a result in the past decade.

There are Ike eight law schools just in the Chicago area alone but THEC - namely those associated with competing Universities tried to claim the six across our entire state created a similar competing problem. Which was a weak argument used to justify not wanting MT to be competitive with them.

More over, once transferred, the admission standards historically used for admission of law students could have been upheld at MT because we would not have had the overhead from starting anew.

It wasn’t a bad decision for us. If it were a bad decision for us UT and Memphis associated THEC members would have been sure whatever. That’s the first clue.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Today, getting an A at Middle Tennessee is easier than it was years ago. I don't believe it's reached JUCO levels (JUCOs are notoriously easy), but the rigor has diminished.
Proof?

I’m not sure you all understand THEC very well. Like at all. And if McPhee would have presented better/had more data available/made a better case, it likely would have passed.

By the way, who was chair of THEC when the law school was denied?

Last edited:
I’m not sure you all understand THEC very well. Like at all. And if McPhee would have presented better/had more data available/made a better case, it likely would have passed.

By the way, who was chair of THEC when the law school was denied?
I am not defending McPhee, but there is nothing he could’ve said or done that would’ve made it pass. No way anyone with ties to UT, Vandy, or Memphis vote yes. That year the student rep on the THEC was also from UT. Memphis and UT get all the public school law students that can move and they don’t want competition from MTSU.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Totally agree that nothing could get it to pass on the front end. However, The legal system is in place for such instances such as what happened.

If Dr. McPhee would have filed a lawsuit after the denial, this would have started in a circuit court and possibly could have ended up in federal court.

He could have done more if he chose to but he didn’t.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT