ADVERTISEMENT

GoMiddle.Com NIL sponsored athlete

Noogaraider1

True Blue
Jun 3, 2018
Theoretically, could all of us on this site pool money and offer it to a recruit for their NIL? Would $10K be enough to lure in a 4 star if once he signs if he knows he is getting the sites sponsor?

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Bow
I don’t see why not. Someone should reach out to the compliance department to see if this is how it goes.

Only issue is the athlete can leave if he wants after he gets our 10k or however much we decide on. So we would want to set it up to be a yearly, reoccurring payment where people pledge a certain amount.

I’m in for $100 per year, possibly more. I know it’s not much. I can also help with reaching out to potential prospects if the phone number database is still available for the recruits like it used to be when Hutton ran this site.

I would absolutely offer at least $100 to get a 4 star signed, but as stated, I would want some kind of 45% up front kind of deal and 55% based on staying/playing.

Its the wild west of getting kids to come here, may be something to our site sponsoring (buying) a stud to come and ball out.

the gomiddle.com can sponsor a kid and classify it as for exclusive interviews. TXAM fan sight did it with 2 players

Reactions: C-Bow
As publisher, I don’t think I’m going to sign off on it. As a Rivals affiliate I think it’s smart to stay neutral. Nooga brings up a great point about how this NIL stuff is going to be the wild, Wild West…

Reactions: SpaceRaider
the gomiddle.com can sponsor a kid and classify it as for exclusive interviews. TXAM fan sight did it with 2 players

i figured other program fan sites were already doing this

As publisher, I don’t think I’m going to sign off on it. As a Rivals affiliate I think it’s smart to stay neutral. Nooga brings up a great point about how this NIL stuff is going to be the wild, Wild West…
GoMiddle.com is supposed to be neutral?

What prevents fans from doing a go fund me account to contribute? Or does the athlete have to do something to earn the funds? Generally I’m curious.

What prevents fans from doing a go fund me account to contribute? Or does the athlete have to do something to earn the funds? Generally I’m curious.
I am pretty sure they have to get paid based on "market value" for a product or service they provide like autographs, endorsements, etc. I don't think it is "allowed" to just give them money for doing nothing, but them saying happy birthday to your kid or hanging out at a tailgate would be acceptable since they are providing a service.

Hey - better to give your money to the players rather than the program that has continually sent money to bad coaches, lackluster facilities and chronic mediocrity.

This is trickle down economics. LOL. Give it to the kids and if they perform well, things trickle down to the program.

Barstool sports is paying college athletes for endorsement across all levels and sports. I have yet to see an MTSU player get a plug.

Barstool sports is paying college athletes for endorsement across all levels and sports. I have yet to see an MTSU player get a plug.
My bro-n-law is a VP a major bank. He, the bank president and the CEO all happen to be big time boosters at a G5 school. They decided to divert some of their annual advertising budget to this. Giving a few players some money, free checking, free financial advisors and management in exchange for billboard photos and other marketing material appearances. They bank will market the player ads at students at the school. Since the money was already going to be spent, this is costing them nothing extra and they are helping their school.

My bro-n-law is a VP a major bank. He, the bank president and the CEO all happen to be big time boosters at a G5 school. They decided to divert some of their annual advertising budget to this. Giving a few players some money, free checking, free financial advisors and management in exchange for billboard photos and other marketing material appearances. They bank will market the player ads at students at the school. Since the money was already going to be spent, this is costing them nothing extra and they are helping their school.
smart

GoMiddle.com is supposed to be neutral?
The GoMiddle staff strives to be neutral. We present the good ... and the bad. We also present our opinions & judgements, but the goal of media is to limit our bias as much as possible.

Are we perfect? No.

But it's our goal.

As far as the GoMiddle.com posters sponsoring a MT athlete, we WON'T stop fans to from using their resources to support the institution, but encourage you to play within the NCAA rules. MT doesn't need the NCAA punishing MT for UTK's transgressions.

As a former publisher of the site, I CAN tell you the money Matthew makes as publisher is not sufficient to sign a player to a NIL. Quite frankly, its not enough to pay his rent. So, while Barstool and P5 schools may have the money to sign players to NIL, GoMiddle doesn't.

So, between our desire (as a staff) to remain unbiased AND the lack of resources, GoMiddle.com isn't in a position to sign an athlete to a NIL

can dance team members be sponsored? Volleyball players? This is so weird.
The first Barstool athlete was a volleyball player from Jacksonville St that tweeted Portnoy and asked to sign up. He said he didn’t know what she meant, said he loved the idea of it and essentially created Barstool Athletes there. Athletes started tweeting him and eventually Barstool created an athlete management group. This was 100% social media driven and a very typical Portnoy move.

There’s a common pattern in athletes signing so far: beauty, star players, kids with large social media following and schools with big donors.

Giddy & Reggie would have earned 6 figures after beating Michigan State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT