ADVERTISEMENT

Geier Case and Middle Tennessee

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Mike, many posters have often referenced the Geier Case as a reason for why Middle Tennessee has not developed academically the way it could have if academic restrictions were not imposed. Certainly, the Geier Case was a major impediment to the University's development but on September 11, 2006, Gov. Phil Bredesen announced that the parties to the case felt that the state had met the lawsuit's challenge (see link). So without the restrictions of the Geier Case, how do you see Middle Tennessee developing academically over the next 10-20 years and do you believe it will take a new president for the University to reach its full potential?

Geier v. Bredesen

I think current leadership is not going to make any noise, he will take what the BOR gives us. I am not sure what a new President could do. I think the economic pressures at the State level will continue to squeeze our educations systems.

Its time to spend what money we have differently, I don't think TN or any state can justify pouring money into duplicate programs. In other words, all the Universities of the BOR system cannot offer all the same programs - they each need to have a focus.

For instance, in Maine where I live now. If you want to be a school teacher you go to a certain school, if you want to be an engineer you have two different choices.

And its going to be very political. Not sure current leadership is positioning the school for the future other than same ole, same ole.

Honestly, I see MTSU as a regional University but still with its RIM and Aerospace focus. I see it being a place where more students transfer into. The community college system will see the influx of students. I see our enrollment leveling to 18-20K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT