ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL former signee will be at uab next season

al.com:

Perry commits to UAB basketball

...Originally from Louisville, Ky., Perry started his career at Middle Tennessee but was dismissed for "violating athletic department policy" before playing a game.

He quickly made his mark at John A. Logan, scoring 13.1 ppg as a freshman in 2015-16. Now, he'll play against Middle Tennessee at least twice a year.

"I feel like I have a lot to prove to them, and that's really all I have to say," Perry said.....

Not sure exactly what he got kicked off for but heard his attitude was absolutely terrible here.

This small isolated development might be a result or symptom of a trend I've been hoping to see. When one team in a conference or division elevates to a high level of success, rivals and generally competitors in the same conference or division tend to raise their level of performance to try to compete and eventually overtake the highly successful reigning champion. It turns out MT is now that team in C-USA. I've been hoping other conference mates will rise to compete thusly making the conference better overall.

This new UAB player has two motivations. One to get back at the team that dropped him. Correspondingly, he and his new team are hoping to get even and knock off the currently highly successful rivals. Beyond giving the coaches something to shoot for, it gives the program further goals to aim for. Recruit xyz might not get picked up by the desirous reigning champ, but their rival is suddenly more appealing in an attempt to beat the team that overlooked or rejected said recruit. So a little better quality of recruits begin to join rivals of the highly successful team. It can be argued that the same effect does or can happen in coaching hires of rivals and conference mates. Plus, more buzz and increased rowdy attendance helps add more momentum to the relevant teams.

Obviously I want MT to continue to excel to new levels of success, but rising competitors and rivals from the conference ultimately help MT in striving for new levels of success. One could argue that not only does it help, it just might be necessary. More conference teams are going to have to be more successful if we're going to get a real reasonable shot for at-large bids.

Perry was a 2 star recruit who finished 2nd behind former VU player Cameron Justice (now at IUPUI) for Mr. BkB in KY. (As an aside it's interesting how much KY High School BkB has apparently regressed in recent years. Once a hotbed for recruits it's become uncommon for either UK or Louisville to offer an in-state player.) Perry was dismissed, IIRC, at the same time a JUCO signee and a returning player were let go.

MT fans, I assume, would hope Perry has as much impact at UAB as the 3 star transfer JaQuel Richmond has had at UNCW; which is to say not too much.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT