ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Former Raider Alex Weekes

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt:

...The Harlem Globetrotters, featuring Alex "Moose" Weekes,who played at MTSU, will be at Bridgestone Arena for two performances (2 p.m. and 7 p.m.) on Jan. 26.

The Globetrotters will play the Washington Generals in a doubleheader.

Weekes is a 6-foot-8 Globetrotter veteran who played for the Blue Raiders from 2003-04. He set the MTSU record for blocked shots in a single game with eight against Western Kentucky.

For tickets, visit harlemglobetrotters.com/tickets.

Freak athlete who transferred to UNC Asheville along with Bryan Smithson from MTSU.. another one of those school connections we’ve had over the years..

Freak athlete who transferred to UNC Asheville along with Bryan Smithson from MTSU.. another one of those school connections we’ve had over the years..

I don't remember...how did Smithson do there? He was a great athlete but he and Kermit really butted heads.

I don't remember...how did Smithson do there? He was a great athlete but he and Kermit really butted heads.

Very well- he teamed up with a really good point guard here in KJ Garland to form a great backcourt.. along with 7’8” Kenny George they enjoyed a regular season conference championship but lost to Gregg Marshall’s Winthrop team in the tourney championship his senior year.. Bryan still plays overseas.. his scoring more than doubled at UNCA vs his MTSU stats while playing similar minutes

A lower level league probably benefited Smithson a lot. I always thought he was a good player just undersized.

I remember Smithson, and I also remember catching a couple of his games on TV at UNC-A. I about forgot that until you guys brought that back up. I remember Weekes had some mad hops. He could about jump out of the gym.

I always thought it was unfortunate that Kermit and Smithson were not able to sort things out. That was a recurring theme back in those days. I really enjoyed watching Smithson play. Tons of quickness and ball handling skills who could both dish and score. He seemed to flourish in a style of play that I would call controlled chaos. Unfortunately, that did not work in Kermit's system. Kermit always wanted a PG to take care of the ball first, next defend, then score. It worked in Kermit's system of having a steady ball handler to limit turnovers and initiating the offense with the first pass. For a player like Sims, he immediately fit in Kermit's system. Unfortunately, there were a few PG types over the years who had aggressive scoring abilities that Kermit would insist they rein in or not play. Ironically, Sims is turning out to have some mad scoring skills that he is just now starting to let out.

IIRC, Smithson had over a 40-inch vertical. I remember the impromptu dunk contests at the Rec Center during my freshman year.

Dude could HOP.

A lower level league probably benefited Smithson a lot. I always thought he was a good player just undersized.

True- undersized to play shooting/off guard in CKD eyes.. he was able to play off the ball at UNCA since we had a true point guard at that time in place..

Might want to reconsider that lower level stuff in regard to his scoring abilities though.. his 8 games vs the guarantee $ games his 2 years at UNCA resulted in 19 pts/game..

Junior Year
Duquesne- 13
Charlotte- 23
UNC- 20
Louisville- 16

Senior Year
Va Tech- 11
Tennessee- 21
Buffalo- 23
UNC- 25

Perhaps his greatest strength just wasn't playing point guard despite his size..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT