ADVERTISEMENT

Football Assistant Discussions

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
The big one is Tony Franklin. Will he stay? He signed a 3 year contract when he came here. I believe 300k per year. His contract concludes with this season. He's never really stayed in 1 place very long, but I think he's happy here. I think he signs another deal with us or retires. Can't see him going elsewhere unless it's a massive payday. 300k + no state taxes is a damn good deal for him.

TF staying I believe is a good sign for the program because I don't think he'd stick around if he felt the roster was bad. He's never been a big loser anywhere he's gone. Teams he has called plays for have always been around the .500 mark or better. Maybe Middle is his perfect home.

Scott Shafer: Big question mark here. I don't recall our contract with him but I'm pretty sure he has to be re-signed. Losing to UAB might be enough to keep him here but I could see him potentially being hired away if he's chasing the dollar. We need to open up the checkbook here. He brings masterful game plans every week and is fantastic at in-game and half time adjustments. He deserves a big time Power 5 gig but I selfishly hope he is overlooked and stays put in the Boro.

Other assistants: No idea. Can't see anyone else getting poached as we are just not good enough to attract that kind of attention. Sad but true. Maybe Rick will trim some fat this off-season to make room for some fresh blood? Tommy West sure has been here a while and we obviously need a new special teams coach after yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT