ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

Over the moon right now. Can’t believe Miami made it for the first time in program history. Really hope we beat UConn.

Ok, who had these 4 teams in their final bracket……. That is why this is my favorite sporting event of the year! I think UConn will win it all but am pulling for the Owls.

Reactions: ewglenn
UConn's play has been overwhelming people in the tournament. I think Miami will give them their 1st stern test. Jim Larranaga has become my favorite coach. Wouldn't mind seeing an all south Florida finals.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
UCONN is a team that has peaked at exactly the right time. They are super scary. When I made my initial bracket I had them losing fairly early but once I watched them play Iona, I changed my tune. My "2nd chance" Sweet 16 bracket has them where they are now. Arkansas proved it even more.

Whoever winds up with them will have a mess. I think Miami will give them a run but fall short.

FAU can absolutely beat SDSU. Man I love March. Either way I wonder how long May will be there.

Congrats Ole Blue. UCONN will be tough but I think Miami is more physical.
Hoping so. UConn is a tough out, but they are beatable -- I was there when Seton Hall beat them at home in Newark this year. Canes have the right recipe for it.

Crazy thing is that if Raiders make that layup in the CUSA tournament FAU likely is not even in the field. Wish this would open up field to more non P5 schools but we know that will not happen.

FAU would've been in regardless, that's why they got a 9 seed, what would've happened is one the 11 seeds would've got bumped most likely Rutgers or NC State.

Crazy thing is that if Raiders make that layup in the CUSA tournament FAU likely is not even in the field. Wish this would open up field to more non P5 schools but we know that will not happen.
Too much money 💰 at stake and they (P5’s) have the power. It’s only gonna get worse. I would bet money they’re already behind the scenes looking at the selection process for March Madness next year to make sure what happened this year doesn’t happen again.

FAU would've been in regardless, that's why they got a 9 seed, what would've happened is one the 11 seeds would've got bumped most likely Rutgers or NC State.
I wouldn’t believe it until I see it. Committee looks for ways NOT to have non P5 in…not ways to put them in IMO

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Really anticipated May getting a nice offer from someone post tournament. But recently read that most of the quality P5 openings have been taken for the year. Who knows maybe Dusty can stay around another year & use some of their new NIL money to hold on to some of the guys. If they have a nice showing Saturday night that 65k could & should explode even higher.

Really anticipated May getting a nice offer from someone post tournament. But recently read that most of the quality P5 openings have been taken for the year. Who knows maybe Dusty can stay around another year & use some of their new NIL money to hold on to some of the guys. If they have a nice showing Saturday night that 65k could & should explode even higher.
$1m per year

Dusty May led the Owls to the Final Four in just his fifth season at FAU.

ESPN2 talking up CUSA big time, but please boys just stop talking up Judy. I just had a late dinner.

Reactions: blue rai
I wouldn’t believe it until I see it. Committee looks for ways NOT to have non P5 in…not ways to put them in IMO

I saw an analysis of at large teams.

They average less than 1 Q4 loss and had an average of 7 +\- 3 Q1 wins and over 12 +/- 2 Q1 games.

So a P5 team can go 4-10 in Q1, lose a Q2 game or 2 and just beat up on Q3/4 teams and even lose 1 Q4 game, and be an average at large.

How can a G5 schools get 12 P1 games unless their OOC is essentially all road money games?

So by conference, a great G5 team can’t get the Q1 volume of games and heaven forbid they lose to a 1 Q4 team.

Its skewed against G5 simply based on the number of Q1 games P5 can get that we don’t have access to.

I saw an analysis of at large teams.

They average less than 1 Q4 loss and had an average of 7 +\- 3 Q1 wins and over 12 +/- 2 Q1 games.

So a P5 team can go 4-10 in Q1, lose a Q2 game or 2 and just beat up on Q3/4 teams and even lose 1 Q4 game, and be an average at large.

How can a G5 schools get 12 P1 games unless their OOC is essentially all road money games?

So by conference, a great G5 team can’t get the Q1 volume of games and heaven forbid they lose to a 1 Q4 team.

Its skewed against G5 simply based on the number of Q1 games P5 can get that we don’t have access to.
That's exactly why I'm all for in-season tournaments and conference arrangements. Many P6 Bball or even high Q1 mid-majors won't schedule lowers but they will play in those tournaments.

A scheduling agreement with another conference can also be beneficial as we can gain on who else they play as well. Similar to the old B12/SEC challenge. Plenty of D1 conferences (32) that with CUSA #10 in NET should be willing to work with us. Even after the exodus this season, our newcomers NET avg is almost equal to who we are losing.

Things like this I think our conference and ADs are dropping the ball on.

That's exactly why I'm all for in-season tournaments and conference arrangements. Many P6 Bball or even high Q1 mid-majors won't schedule lowers but they will play in those tournaments.

A scheduling agreement with another conference can also be beneficial as we can gain on who else they play as well. Similar to the old B12/SEC challenge. Plenty of D1 conferences (32) that with CUSA #10 in NET should be willing to work with us. Even after the exodus this season, our newcomers NET avg is almost equal to who we are losing.

Things like this I think our conference and ADs are dropping the ball on.
We’re doing a challenge with the WAC starting next season I believe.

Not really sure that the WAC being on the opposite end of that strengthens SoS or even appeals to fans...
With this year's post season success the commissioner should try similar arrangements with the A10 or MVC. Geographically closer with lots of quality teams. With so many CUSA teams either heading to AAC or already in place at Sunbelt imagine there's way too much bad blood for Judy showing any exploration there. Would love to see it though. A few good words from former brethren couldn't hurt already knowing our facility upgrades are in the works.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Not really sure that the WAC being on the opposite end of that strengthens SoS or even appeals to fans...
Fan appeal is a valid point but SoS wise, the WAC was the 11th ranked conference in NET. Just one behind us. Yes they are losing SHSU to us but Utah Valley was right there with them. Wouldn't be as one-sided as it first appears.

A10, MVC, and ASUN would be great options. Even SoCon with two TN schools.

Caitlin Clark. Unstoppable. Iowa vs South Carolina was incredible last night
Incredible player. Her shot motion is so smooth. Some of her free throws last night were so quick you almost missed seeing them go in.

USC has been good all year but with the year Clark has had, glad to see her amd her team make it to the Final.

Felt like South Carolina was so used to winning it was hard for them to comprehend the loss preparing to happen. Based on facial expressions looked like they didn't realize they were losing until clock read 2.9 seconds.
Saw 4 really good players last night. Clark was amazing. Her passing & driving ability is as good as her shooting from deep. The 6' 7" LSU center was incredibly dominant. Even though Iowa's center wasn't as big or dominant she was still tough as nails. Fun game.

Yeah it felt like SC was surprised with less than 10 seconds. No sense of urgency down the stretch from them.

Forgot to mention, did anyone notice South Carolina's coach Dawn Staley for some reason was dressed in Iowa Hawkeyes black & gold during last night's game for some reason? Maybe she was foreshadowing their loss.
Anyway can't ever imagine Rick Insell wearing a black suit with a red shirt, with black & red striped tie playing against Western Kentucky.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
FAU should have had this one signed sealed and delivered, but this still represents CUSA's most successful basketball season since Memphis went to the championship. Next time we as a conference do this well I'll probably be signed, sealed, & delivered myself. So congrats to the conference on this extremely rare run.

Enjoyed the women's final, but watching Reese post game following Clark around taunting her is one of the most classless things I've seen. Some said concerning Clark, "If you dish it out you have to take it". That may be true, but I never remember seeing Clark chasing a player post game to verbally & visually taunt another opposing player. I regret cheering for LSU.

Enjoyed the women's final, but watching Reese post game following Clark around taunting her is one of the most classless things I've seen. Some said concerning Clark, "If you dish it out you have to take it". That may be true, but I never remember seeing Clark chasing a player post game to verbally & visually taunt another opposing player. I regret cheering for LSU.
Clark did the you can't see me chant during the entire game vs SC. Clark is IOWA. LSU has a team of ballers not from nice neighborhoods. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. This happens in football all of the time. They are competitors. It's gonna get chippy.

I had no problem with it. Clark handled it the right way. I'm all for taunting. I'm very much one of those, especially in football, that feels every tackle should be about getting in the opposing team's head. Mess with them. Good players with sportsmanship can give it and take it. Not reacting with penalties. Play it out in the field. Those that react I have issue with. Chasing her down after the game was a bit much, but I had no issue with her doing the see me thing to Clark itself.

My 7yr old started football last fall on offensive line. He came to me at halftime one game upset over the other team saying stuff. I told him if it made him upset, that was the goal. So go lay the other kid's butt out. And that is exactly what he did. It's how it should be. Use it as ammunition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT