ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL East Division Champs

Can someone tell me how this is possible even if we lose? I haven't heard an explanation yet. If we lose, FIU and us will both have two losses so wouldn't the tiebreaker fall to them?

So does Marshall. Three way tie. The three way benefits us the way the tiebreaker works.
Yep. The math has been done, there's no way for us to lose the division now. We win the three way tie.

Can someone tell me how this is possible even if we lose? I haven't heard an explanation yet. If we lose, FIU and us will both have two losses so wouldn't the tiebreaker fall to them?

If we win, we obviously win with a better record.

If we lose to UAB, FIU, Marshall and MT are all 6-2 in conference. We would go to the tiebreaker that is record vs division. FIU is 4-2, both MU and MT would be 5-1 against the East....FIU is eliminated.

Once a team in the 3-way is eliminated, it goes back to a 2-way tiebreaker with us and Marshall. We win that because of the head to head.

This is why we are East champs win or lose against UAB today.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Congrats to all the players and staff. Very proud we have finally broken through in the east. Now for the big boy title.

Looks like we will host the game as well.

I hope our coaches don't expect the same game plan to work twice. UAB is going to make a lot of adjustments and we are gonna need to make sure we are ready for them.

Let's do this RAIDERS!!!!! I hope all MT alumni are in the stands. We should pack that stadium!!

Reactions: Predarat
I hope our coaches don't expect the same game plan to work twice. UAB is going to make a lot of adjustments and we are gonna need to make sure we are ready for them.

Not sure what adjustment they can make to improve their o-line. With their record I'm just going to assume their poor play is an anomaly.

That place better be packed. The Nashville media needs to be all over that and promoting it as good for the area. I encourage everyone to bring family and friends and have them recruit people to come out as well.

Massaro better be working overtime as well to get butts in seats.

Absolutely no reason for a lackluster attendance for this.

I also want to see some former NFL players on the sidelines. Byard and Tanner need to be there at a minimum. Get some publicity for the school in getting players to the NFL, when the TV cameras show them. (I feel like I could do better at promoting than Massaro, but these things need to happen)

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate it is from a week away, but current forecast is for cloudy and 58 degrees. 40% chance of light rain.

News outlets are P5 thinkers just like the announcers. After Marshall won, the announcers brought it up and said something to the effect of “Middle is still in the running for the division title”.

Um no. We’d already won it. Do your homework. Sheesh.

Again it’s going to take all of us and Massaro forcing the Nashville media to pay attention to what’s going on with MT.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
This should get the team a good bowl game, probably the best bowl the program has ever played in.

Not sure what adjustment they can make to improve their o-line. With their record I'm just going to assume their poor play is an anomaly.

They got fat off playing a weak schedule even though they lost to Coastal Carolina. MT played a way tougher schedule. UAB had 89 total yards of offense today. 89. 89. They couldn't run the ball, and MT released the hounds on AJ.

If we win the conference, what bowl is it vs not winning?
I think the winner get to go to Dallas in the Cotton Bowl, it was called Heart of Dallas, but they changed the name. I think the other best bowl is the one in Tampa. Looks like the Liberty Bowl could be in play if one of the main conferences cannot fill it, have not looked at that situation yet.

I think the winner get to go to Dallas in the Cotton Bowl, it was called Heart of Dallas, but they changed the name. I think the other best bowl is the one in Tampa. Looks like the Liberty Bowl could be in play if one of the main conferences cannot fill it, have not looked at that situation yet.
Liberty Bowl would be amazing, short drive for everyone.

Don’t hold your breath on this. Look what FAU got last year. A home game against Akron.

I think the winner get to go to Dallas in the Cotton Bowl, it was called Heart of Dallas, but they changed the name. I think the other best bowl is the one in Tampa.

We don't want the SERVPRO Bowl this year. The B10 can't fill their spot, so it is going to be a 6-6 G5 or BYU school.

It looks like the Independence Bowl will be in play. SEC won't have enough bowl eligible teams with so many in NY6 Bowl Games. Meaning it will be C-USA vs. AAC. If we win Saturday, meaning we get to choose our bowl game, we absolutely should take a bowl game against a P5 school.

If for some reason the Indy Bowl is not available because of an SEC shuffle after LSU's lost last night, then their are 2 logical choices if we can have the option. If UCF loses to Memphis (which is now a real possibility with Milton out), then that gives an option of playing 8-4 Temple or Houston from the AAC. Or the C-USA champion could pick a game against SB champ App State in the New Orleans Bowl.

My match up preferences would be:
1. the Indy Bowl vs. the ACC.
2. NO vs App State
3. Memphis if they lose to UCF
4. Houston if Memphis beats UCF.
5. Beggars can't be choosers if we lose to UAB.

Actually next step is more wins. I don’t care who the opponent is as long as it is winnable. We need to establish we can win two in a row. I don’t want to draw someone who will do to us what we did to UAB yesterday.

Reactions: Predarat
I agree to an extent, MT01, but right now, I think a close game against a P5 team on national TV would do more than a win against a Sunbelt team in the NO Bowl. Besides, we absolutely could win against a P5 team and that would be far better than another Sunbelt win, assuming we would beat Appt State, which is a large assumption.

I don’t want to play Appy. Very good experienced team. I’m ok with a P5 but the reality is we get someone like a 6-6 Minnesota and we couldnt come close to them last time in a year they didn’t win 6 games. I would like another shot at Vandy though.

Reality says ESPN is trying to eliminate all matchups between P5 and non power conf schools. And I won’t be surprised if no one in C-USA gets one this year.

The reason why Losing to a P5 is worse than beating a Sun Belt school because when we lose those games they use it as more evidence as to why we shouldn’t get those games and further influences the perception in the mid state as well. Right now. Winning is more important than anything especially for recruiting purposes and trying to stay somewhat relevant. Which ain’t much I know but any little bit helps.

Good point about giving them ammunition, but I do think we have a shot against a 6-6 Minnesota etc. I don't want Vanderbilt. They have our number and we don't seem to want to develop a few more plays to beat them. We need trick plays against them to get the win... That and more film time and preparation.

Last edited:
If Fresno St. couldn't beat Minnesota this year, I can promise you that we wouldn't either.

Just because Fresno State couldn't do it doesn't mean we can't. That's not enough information to determine who would win. It is somewhat indicative, but not enough to say for certain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT