ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Early Conf Standings

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
A couple of things standout in the early conf standings. File these couple of things under the not so good for the conference column.

According to CBS RPI, C-USA has two teams in the bottom 5 in the nation. Both USM and shockingly, UTEP, are both in the bottom 5 nationally. It would seem that unless something dramatically changes, those two schools might be looking to find new HCs at the end of this season.

With UTEPs tradition, I don't suspect they will tolerate that type of poor performance. With NCAA problems leftover from Tyndall, I'm not sure how USM will be approaching their expectations for success and/or improvement.

UTSA is also near the bottom in the CBS RPI. It seems their overall record is somewhat deceiving as it looks like 3 of UTSAs wins were vs non-D1 competition.

None of this stuff is helping our conference. Teams such as FAU & FIU aren't exactly anything to brag about from C-USA as usual.

So far, it looks like Rice might be the surprise conf team for the season. Rice's 0-1 conf start is understandable since they had to open conf play on the road at ODU. I suspect Rice's conf record will substantially improve.

Sure ooc records can be a little misleading at times. If I had to venture an early guess at C-USA competitors, say top half or so teams in conf standings this season, it would look like MT, Rice, ODU, UAB, Marshall, Charlotte, and LaTech . I'm guessing WKU might be on that fence of trying to push into the top half.

Its always about championships...its about us. We can't do a thing about other schools, all MT can do is take care of its own business. For us, the path to the tourney is to win the conference championship and all our prep and focus is on that one simple (hard) goal, to peak in March.

Reactions: C-Bow
Sunday, Jan. 1
Louisiana Tech 79, at Southern Miss 55
at UTSA 67, UTEP 55
at (RV) Middle Tennessee 60, UAB 49

Saturday, Dec. 31

at Charlotte 101, North Texas 76
WKU 69, at Florida Atlantic 54
at Old Dominion 62, Rice 56
Marshall 94, at FIU 70

cusa%20standings%20thru%201-1-2017_zpsvwthxgjl.jpg

CUSA Games this week:

Mon., January 2

North Texas at Old Dominion CUSA.tv 4:00p
Rice at Charlotte ESPN3 6:00p
WKU at FIU FCS 6:00p
Marshall at Florida Atlantic CUSA.tv 6:00p

Thu., January 5

Old Dominion at Marshall CUSA.tv 6:00p
UTEP at Louisiana Tech Campus Insiders 6:30p
Charlotte at WKU FCS 7:00p
Middle Tennessee at Rice beIN 7:00p
UTSA at Southern Miss CUSA.tv 7:00p
UAB at North Texas CUSA.tv 7:00p

Sat., January 7

FIU at Florida Atlantic ASN 1:00p
Middle Tennessee at North Texas CUSA.tv 2:00p
UTEP at Southern Miss CUSA.tv 4:00p
Old Dominion at WKU ASN 5:00p
Charlotte at Marshall CUSA.tv 6:00p
UTSA at Louisiana Tech CUSA.tv 6:00p
UAB at Rice CUSA.tv 7:00p

Last edited:
CUSA Games this week:

Mon., January 2

North Texas at Old Dominion CUSA.tv 4:00p
Rice at Charlotte ESPN3 6:00p
WKU at FIU FCS 6:00p
Marshall at Florida Atlantic CUSA.tv 6:00p

UNT @ ODU halftime score looks like a football halftime score: ODU 23, UNT17

Rice went to Charlotte and beat the 49ers 89-70. They are 1-1 in conference and 11-4...

Makes for a huge game Thursday night in Houston...

MONDAY’S RESULTS
at Old Dominion 55, North Texas 48
Marshall 89, at Florida Atlantic 72
Rice 89, at Charlotte 70
WKU 69, at FIU 66

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT