ADVERTISEMENT

Eagle Rocked: Southern Miss, Conference USA, and the Dark Side of College Football Realignment

At one time (at my age I'm not so sure of when) I saw USM as equal to FSU and Ga. Tech as quality MAJOR teams in the South who just didn't happen to be in the $EC. The only difference in USM when compared to Ole Miss and Miss St. was conference affiliation. I didn't see Hattiesburg as less than Starkville or Oxford in the Mississippi landscape. I can remember being very upset that TN Tech was able to secure a H & H BkB series with USM while MT never played them. I would have seen them as one of our infrequent quality OOC home opponents.

Gotta feel for their long-time fans (So many of them that I met at the N. O. Bowl game were great folks) who have witnessed their decent (or failure to rise) in the college FB landscape primarily because of the location. That said, other than population what exactly does MT's location do to help the athletic program, being as how it is perceived in the local media and by the area's population.

My experience at the NO Bowl with their fans was that they all expected to mop the turf with us and were very arrogant. Needless to say they were a little shell-shocked after the game.

They have conveniently side-stepped the fact that turnover and bad hires can kill a program. I am not buying the location thing. Many successful remote colleges. Our FB program has had a committed coach with high moral fiber build this thing brick by brick. We have an AD that has had successful hires.

My experience at the NO Bowl with their fans was that they all expected to mop the turf with us and were very arrogant. Needless to say they were a little shell-shocked after the game.

Drank numerous adult beverages on bourbon street after the bowl win with USM fans and they were quite nice and complimentary. Found numerous areas of agreement, such as Memphis and their fans suck.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
That article seems kind of whiny.

Through no fault of anyone but themselves, USM now has more in common with us and WKU, and La Tech than it does with it's old foes Cincy and Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT