ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Did anybody catch what happened on Marshall's final timeout?

RandallThomason

Blue Raider Legend
Jan 1, 2005
At the end of regulation, after our failed possession led to a punt and gave Marshall a chance to win in regulation, did anybody catch what happened exactly that led Marshall to spend its final timeout before even running the first play of the drive? Had they not had to use that timeout, they could have ran another play with 10 seconds left to center the ball in the middle of the field for the final field goal attempt. Without having the timeout, they had to kick from the left hash.

I haven't seen the telecast of the game, so I don't know if the commentators explained that situation or not.

I know we had some head-scratching game management decisions as well, but if the roles were reversed and we had to use a timeout in that identical situation that Marshall was in at the end of regulation, I would have been incensed as a fan.

I vaguely remember the timeout and I turned to a friend and said something to the efffect that was as stupid as anything our staff has done all night.

I think I saw where the replay, at least locally will be on at 9pm tonight on FSSE (26/1676)...

On the replay it looks like they were confused about how they were going to line up. Even so, if I was them I would rather take a 5 yard delay of game penalty there than spend my last timeout. Glad it worked out for us!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT