ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Morris: Say No to Kasich, Rubio, Stop a Brokered Convention

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Dick Morris: Say No to Kasich, Rubio, Stop a Brokered Convention
GetFile.aspx

ByDick Morris | Monday, 14 Mar 2016 12:59 PM

A vote for Kasich or Rubio, in today's political environment, would be a vote for Hillary.

If either candidate wins in Florida and/or Ohio — and fights on afterwards — it virtually guarantees a brokered convention. And a brokered convention would cause such havoc in the GOP that it would make Hillary's election as president very likely.

You can stop that from happening by NOT voting for either Kasich or Rubio.

Instead, vote for a candidate who can win the convention on the first ballot.

If you don't want Trump, for example, you can vote for Ted Cruz.

Even in Ohio, the latest polling shows Ted Cruz surging to only six points behind Kasich and Trump, who are tied for first place.

Those who want to vote for Kasich in order to defeat Trump in Ohio are misguided.

Cruz has just as good a shot as Kasich at beating Trump.

And, if Kasich does win Ohio, he will stay in the race, constantly splitting the anti-Trump vote and giving Donald the nomination.

Trump has an easy time getting a plurality in a divided field, but has only been able to win a majority on very rare occasions.

With Kasich in the race, Trump will win. With Kasich out, its likely that Cruz will get the nomination.

Why not a brokered convention?

The Republican Party does not have the superstructure to resolve a convention deadlock. There are no more bosses. The state party leaders are largely impotent. The party lacks elder statesmen.

The Bushes are compromised. Romney is too self-interested (that's why he is campaigning for Kasich — to cause a brokered convention that might nominate him).

A second or third or fourth ballot would lead to an endless deadlock that couldn't be broken easily. The fissure would rip the party apart and its impact would be to create such bitterness that it couldn't come together in time to beat Hillary.

A brokered convention would be a disaster. If Kasich and Rubio both lose and drop out of the race, the threat will have passed from our lips. But if they win and stay in the race, we are headed for the rocks.

The irony of the coming primaries in Florida and Ohio is that the only way to stop Trump from getting the nomination is for him to win these two primaries, knocking Rubio and Kasich out of the race.

If Rubio and/or Kasich stays in the race, it will make a Trump victory possibly inevitable.

Here's why:

The bulk of the primaries to select the 1,000 delegates that will remain to be chosen after March 15 (with 1,237 needed to nominate) will be chosen in either winner-take-all or winner-take-most states. In the former, whoever wins a plurality of the votes gets all of the delegates.

In the latter, if a candidate wins a statewide plurality and a plurality in each of the Congressional Districts, he gets all the state's delegates. In either case, you don't need a majority. A plurality is enough.

Trump has an almost impossible time reaching 50 percent of the vote. Only in Mississippi and a handful of other states did he manage the feat. The anti-Trump vote — taken as a unit — would defeat Donald almost every time.

The national polling shows Trump losing to Cruz by 54-40 in a two-way primary.

But if Kasich and/or Rubio remain in the race after March 15th, they will take away enough votes from Cruz to give Trump the plurality. Until now, with proportional representation rules required in all pre-March 15 states, it hasn't mattered much since all the candidates get a proportionate share of the delegates.

But, after March 15, Rubio or Kasich's presence in the race will almost guarantee Trump victories — and all of the delegates in the major remaining states likeCalifornia, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc.

If Trump beats Kasich and Rubio in Florida and Ohio — and they drop out — Trump will have to face Cruz one-on-one in the remaining states and he is not likely to be able to win enough to get the nomination.

To be sure, Trump would emerge from March 15th with a lead of about 250 delegates over Cruz, after sweeping the two winner-take-all states.

But Cruz will quickly get the lost delegates back.

The very next week, on March 22, he would likely win Utah and Arizona in a two-way race, giving him back all the 100 delegates he lost in Florida.

So if you want to stop Trump, vote for Cruz.

© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

I don't agree with Morris on this. Should Trump win both Ohio and Florida, the race is over because his delegate lead will be practically insurmountable. I'm hoping Kasich wins Ohio because Trump will easily win in Florida. Although Cruz is surging in many of the states voting today, I don't believe he can win in Ohio.

I don't agree with Morris on this. Should Trump win both Ohio and Florida, the race is over because his delegate lead will be practically insurmountable. I'm hoping Kasich wins Ohio because Trump will easily win in Florida. Although Cruz is surging in many of the states voting today, I don't believe he can win in Ohio.

Flash, not sure I totally agree with Morris either, but the implications he presents regarding the possible outcomes are interesting. I do agree with Morris that Cruz's one and only hope of catching Trump hinges on both Rubio and Kasich exiting the race after today. Splitting the vote only ensures further Trump victories....

BBJ, I realize Kasich winning Ohio will keep him in the race for a little while longer but as I said, Trump winning both Ohio and Florida would pretty much assure him the 1,237 delegates he needs for the nomination. The sad thing about all this is Trump simply cannot win the general election with his high negatives. And if he goes into Cleveland with the most delegates, the Trump cult will be hysterical if the nomination is awarded to someone else. The truth of the matter, the GOP is doomed whether Trump gets the nomination or Cruz becomes the nominee. The only way the GOP defeats Hillary is with a united party and that simply won't happen. Trump's candidacy has severed friendships all across America and has divided the Republican Party so badly that I see a third party forming as a result of all this. If you don't believe Trump hijacking the Republican Party will have life-changing repercussions for constitutional conservatives, just wait until tomorrow when I reveal how this election will affect me and my decision where I will be living in the coming years.

Last edited:
If Cruz gets the nomination he will get all of republican vote. If Trump is the nominee he will get some of the republican vote, all of the independent vote, and some of the democrat vote.

Nobody but the insane will vote for billary the criminal. That said, since ALL of D.C is against Trump who knows if he will survive an election.

BBJ, I realize Kasich winning Ohio will keep him in the race for a little while longer but as I said, Trump winning both Ohio and Florida would pretty much assure him the 1,237 delegates he needs for the nomination. The sad thing about all this is Trump simply cannot win the general election with his high negatives. And if he goes into Cleveland with the most delegates, the Trump cult will be hysterical if the nomination is awarded to someone else. The truth of the matter, the GOP is doomed whether Trump gets the nomination or Cruz becomes the nominee. The only way the GOP defeats Hillary is with a united party and that simply won't happen. Trump's candidacy has severed friendships all across America and has divided the Republican Party so badly that I see a third party forming as a result of all this. If you don't believe Trump hijacking the Republican Party will have life-changing repercussions for constitutional conservatives, just wait until tomorrow when I reveal how this election will affect me and my decision where I will be living in the coming years.

Flash, even if Trump wins FL and OH, it's not a cinch he wins the nomination. How well Cruz fares today in MO, IL, and NC is crucial. IF Cruz can lock down a significant number of delegates in those states, it allows his campaign to live another day and keep the fight going. I will admit, though, if Trump wins FL and OH, AND does well in MO, IL, and NC, he can pretty much punch his ticket for Cleveland as our nominee....

With Rubio losing Florida today, its over. Trump may not get enough delegates but he will be much closer. If they take it away then he may run as an independent.

Cruz challenge if he were to somehow get the nomination is winning purple states like OH, PA, NH or VA.

The challenge for Trump is defeating Hillary when six in 10 non-Trump supporters say they would seriously consider a third party if he becomes the nominee, per prelim exit polls.

The challenge for Trump is defeating Hillary when six in 10 non-Trump supporters say they would seriously consider a third party if he becomes the nominee, per prelim exit polls.
I don't believe this and if it's true we've already lost. You need to post a few sources. I haven't heard this.

Mini Super Tuesday: 2/3 of GOP Non-Trump Supporters Say They'd Vote Third Party in Election

(NEW YORK) -- In a sign of anti-Trump sentiment among some Republicans on Mini Super Tuesday, almost two-thirds of non-Trump supporters said they would vote for a third party if Donald Trump were to win the GOP nomination, according to preliminary exit poll data.

Just over half of Republican voters in five states said they'd be happy if Trump were the candidate chosen to run against Hillary Clinton in the general election, but four in 10 voters said they would seriously consider voting for a third-party candidate.

Notably, about six in 10 of non-Trump supporters said they would seriously consider voting for a third party if he wins the GOP nomination.

A new question added to the exit polls this year directly measures intent to vote for Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio or John Kasich in the general election. Across the five states voting today -- Florida, Illinois, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio -- slightly more than half of Republican voters said they'd definitely vote for Trump, while about 20 percent said they'd "probably" vote for him.

About a quarter of GOP voters said they would not vote for Trump, according to preliminary exit poll data.

Fewer than 48 percent of voters saw Trump as "honest," while 62 percent of voters who said they were looking for an "outsider" supported Trump.

Trump also won 45 percent of votes supporting the deportation of undocumented immigrants, rather than offering them a chance to apply for legal status.

Of the voters who described themselves as "angry," Trump won 42 percent of their support, according to preliminary exit poll data.

http://wbt.com/mini-super-tuesday-2...rters-say-theyd-vote-third-party-in-election/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mini Super Tuesday Republican Exit Poll Analysis

Here are some of our observations of exit poll results from primary states that voted Tuesday. This latest update is based on preliminary exit poll results.

Donald Trump’s had remarkable success on his signature issues in primaries to date, as well as showing substantial weakness among GOP voters who don’t support him. Our first look at preliminary exit poll results break apart some of those results in the five states holding primaries today.

Satisfaction

In another sign of anti-Trump sentiment among some Republicans, across today’s five primaries, just more than half say they’d be satisfied with Trump as the nominee against Hillary Clinton, but about four in 10 say they’d seriously consider a third-party candidate.

Notably, six in 10 non-Trump supporters say they would seriously consider a third party if he became the GOP’s nominee.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live...publican-exit-poll-analysis/story?id=37666149

Mike, I might also point out another challenge for Trump in the general election. His comments about women would alienate many of them and that is why he is minus-30 with women.

After viewing ads such as this, how many women would choose Trump over Hillary?

Last edited:
I am starting to think that Trump is only running because it guarantees Hillary the presidency if of course she makes it through the primaries, which is highly likely now.

Mike, I might also point out another challenge for Trump in the general election. His comments about women would alienate many of them and that is why he is minus-30 with women.

After viewing ads such as this, how many women would choose Trump over Hillary?
And if the nomination is taken from Trump I wonder how many of his supporters will either not vote or vote third party.

You can slice this any way you want but Trump is winning the most primary voters.

Why don't we take the same inspection of Cruz in the battleground states? Did u see his numbers in Fl and OH compared to others.

I think we are ignoring the electoral votes. Cruz has a ceiling. Trump has a bottom but he also has a bigger ceiling. I don't think you can apply conventional wisdom to Trump. If you did he would not be in the race now.

Look I prefer Cruz but he is losing. If he could have won NC, MO and IL he would have solid ground to stand on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT