ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Depth no longer an issue as summer workouts start

Looking forward to this season and I'm expecting much improved play

Jackson listed at 6’9” 245 lbs. Wonder how accurate that is.

I like the look of this roster. Will only lose two players to graduation and our walk-on was on scholarship at another D1 school last year. Also like the two guys that will redshirt this year. We are really no smaller this year than last year and a lot deeper. If Jackson can give us what Gamble did last year I think we will be at least .500.

This may be early, but I would guess:
Starters
F Jackson
F Dishman
G Jones
G Green
G Sims
At least through first 11 games when Scurry cannot play. After that Scurry may start over Jackson depending on opponent and how well Jackson does. Millner also in play. I think those three guards are pretty set in starting lineup.

Bench
Scurry (after 11 games)
Johnson
Millner
Crump
Millin
Lawrence
Coffey
If they can survive going with Jackson, Dishman, and Millner down low through the first 11 games I can see them maybe redshirting Millin. Crump also available to play some small ball forward. Same for Lawrence if they go 8 deep in rotation through first 11 games. Of course I do not know how McDevitt handles redshirts.

Redshirting
Davis
Jordan

Lots of new faces. This will be a better team this year. Will win some games they are not supposed to. I predict 3rd in the East and playing meaningful conference games late in the season. Anything can happen in the CUSA tournament so we'll see.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Gotta hope that with this improved depth we will see a huge jump early next year after the "cream has had a chance to rise to the top". So many new faces I have a big problem looking for potential impact players.

Now that the roster is set (apparently) I'm anxious to see the pre-conference OOC schedule. Other than a home game with Belmont, a trip to Lipscomb, and IIRC a game with Kermit and Ole Miss do we know anything? Tournament? Game with "power" school? Just what is McDevitt's scheduling philosophy going to be?

I'm looking to see a couple of games early where we can measure our expected improvement.

My guess is it'll be a mixed schedule, especially with the travel schedule this summer which opens up more allowable practice time..

We are playing in the Myrtle Beach Invitational. The other teams are Utah, Baylor, Coastal Carolina, Villanova, Tulane, Ohio, and Mississippi State.

Looks like another pretty tough OOC schedule. Hoping we can gel earlier than we did last year. I think coming out of OOC schedule at .500 will be a positive.

Pretty sure there was a return trip to Murfreesboro by Rhode Island coming to us after going there last season.

Believe this is correct. I remember reading that it was a home-and-home. Not positive that our return game is this season but I think it is.

This may be early, but I would guess:
Starters
F Jackson
F Dishman
G Jones
G Green
G Sims
At least through first 11 games when Scurry cannot play. After that Scurry may start over Jackson depending on opponent and how well Jackson does. Millner also in play. I think those three guards are pretty set in starting lineup.

Is Scurry's status certain that he is missing the first 11 games? I hadn't heard final word on how his situation would play out in his eligibility.

Is Scurry's status certain that he is missing the first 11 games? I hadn't heard final word on how his situation would play out in his eligibility.
From my understanding of what someone said on here in another board he will miss the first 11 games. Maybe that has changed.

Thanks to both TrueBlue147 and Space for reminding me of parts of next years schedule I should have remembered. Something about "old-timers" disease.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
For those of us concerned with the lack of size it appears the staff is making offers in an effort to alleviate that situation.
While this information (and possibly much more) may be available to those with access to the "lounge" VerbalCommits.com , if correct, has offers from this staff to 5 players in the 6'8" to 6'9" range. While all but one 3 star are listed as 2 star prospects they all have high mid-major offers and a couple have low-to-mid high-major offers. With only two to give at this time I'm anxious to see who we sign, if any, in the early signing period.

Good. I'm feeling a little better about how the roster is shaping up. The coaches seem to be rounding out the roster. Admittedly, there is zero room for injuries etc in the frontcourt.

Also count me impressed that the 3 freshman on the new roster are all from prep schools. The team needs all the new players they can get which are young in general, but prep school freshmen is a smart move to boost their readiness to play as freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT