ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CUSA Semifinal: (#7) Middle Tennessee vs (#3) WKU, 2PM, Friday, March 15, 2024

Nice win. Saw it while observing watching SEC ball (stackhouse’s last game). I don’t think Middle makes it, albeit both are winnable.

WKU had an impressive crowd for their victory. This will likely be the highest attended game of the tournament. Toppers looked good snapping their losing streak. Could be wrong, but I too see Western pulling this one out. While the Raiders are playing their best ball, Western has more overall talent & fire power IMO.

Reactions: tyler90wm
In the MT/WK series this year

Score of game one first half: 38-38
G2 1H: 36-34 (WKU)
G2 2H: 40-36 (MTSU)

G1 2H: 50-27 (WKU)

So what happened in that second half on Feb 3rd that cannot happen again today?

3-point shooting is certainly a large part of these results. In the first grouping MT shot a collective 18/48 from 3 (37.5%) to WK's 7/29 (24.1%). However in G1 2H, Toppers shot 6/10 (60%) from behind the arc, while the Raiders very much struggled: 3/22 (13.6%)

This insert was from my column previewing the first matchup between teams. Updating the criteria: WKU is a stellar 17-1 when they finish with a higher 3p% than opponents. 4-10 otherwise. As said before, the Raiders having the better game beyond the arc will be essential.

1710520858778.png

The other major variance in the groupings is free throw rate. In the first grouping Middle had a 37.8% FTr (36 FTAs/95 FGAs). Western's was a similar 41%. In G1 2H, WKU's FTr slightly increased to 45.1%, while MT's dropped dramatically to 17.6%

It looks as though in G1 2H, MT panicked and started jacking up bad shots from 3, which played right into WKs hands. Western remains the fastest pace team in the country. They are going to take advantage any mistakes a team has with bad shots and turnovers. Middle MUST stay composed all 40 mins, limit possessions, make sound decisions, & keep this a halfcourt game.

My impression is wku has far better talent/coaching. I'm wondering what factor the short turn around from last night will have for wku and if a full day off for MT will help at all.

Feel bad for any Blue Raider fans who made the trip down.

This team just doesn't play well away from home and generally overall just not a good team. The La. Tech game can be viewed as nothing more than a fluke.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
#15 is not a C-USA player. He defends better than the 2s on the bench but he is a complete offensive liability at this level. I have been waiting for another team to figure that out. Props to Lutz, he's legit.

#15 is not a C-USA player. He defends better than the 2s on the bench but he is a complete offensive liability at this level. I have been waiting for another team to figure that out. Props to Lutz, he's legit.
I agree, but obviously McDevitt would disagree with you. Most of our team are not CUSA level players. McDevitt must still think were in the Southern conference or whatever conference UNC Ashville was in.

Team Comparison
STATISTICMTWKU
FG%34%55%
FGs10-2917-31
3FG%36%62%
3FGs5-148-13
FT%40%100%
FTs2-54-4
TOs127
PtsOffTO713
TotReb1717
DefReb1215
Off Reb52
2ndChPts35
BenchPts1012
PtsPaint816
FstBkPt07
Blocks12
Steals18
Assts64
Times Tied:2
Time Tied:0:29
Lead Chg:2
LeadTime1:0118:30

Feel bad for any Blue Raider fans who made the trip down.

This team just doesn't play well away from home and generally overall just not a good team. The La. Tech game can be viewed as nothing more than a fluke.
If they are anything like the MT fans that showed up Wednesday, most are there to watch the women play anyway, so wouldn't feel too bad for them.

He’s McPhee’s hire. Not going anywhere.

Guess I’ll become a lady raider basketball fan for the next couple of days.

Then he and Massaro and DeLeon need to be tagged on all the social media to demonstrate fans' unhappiness

I hope they don't make us do that and embarrass them again. I heard they were none too happy about all the social media comments regarding Stockstill.

It doesn't need to come to that. McDevitt has been borderline awful, and the contract is very manageable. I don't see how it's even up for debate at this point. But we are dealing with McPhee, Steve Smith, and Massaro afterall.....

I hope they don't make us do that and embarrass them again. I heard they were none too happy about all the social media comments regarding Stockstill.

It doesn't need to come to that. McDevitt has been borderline awful, and the contract is very manageable. I don't see how it's even up for debate at this point. But we are dealing with McPhee, Steve Smith, and Massaro afterall.....
They all should be embarassed without fans having to prompt their sorry butts to do their damn jobs.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Team Comparison
STATISTICMTWKU
FG%31%48%
FGs18-5831-64
3FG%26%50%
3FGs7-2711-22
FT%61%92%
FTs11-1812-13
TOs1815
PtsOffTO1322
TotReb3544
DefReb2737
Off Reb87
2ndChPts811
BenchPts1929
PtsPaint2032
FstBkPt711
Blocks42
Steals311
Assts99
Times Tied:2
Time Tied:0:29
Lead Chg:2
LeadTime1:0138:30

I found 26 pt loss in the OVC tournament to Murray in 1996 or 97 & we finished the 1966 season with a 34 point loss to WKU, but hard to tell if it was a tournament game or just season ender back then.

Reactions: OliverLBaltz
I checked the score at halftime and thought to myself, this could end up being an epic beatdown taken from the Tops. Just got in from dinner, looked at the final score and shook my head.

What a mess.

At least ladies won. Gonna be a fun one tomorrow, hope everyone can make it down to watch us win a championship and wash away the nasty taste of that men’s game.

Last edited:
"For the Hilltoppers, the win marked its 100th all-time victory over the Blue Raiders and its largest win over its rival since an 80-48 win on Jan. 7, 2006. The 31-point margin of victory was WKU's largest win in a conference tournament in program history."

• Angry
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
They are not anything but role players for any other conference team. Just evidence this staff can't win at this level

"For the Hilltoppers, the win marked its 100th all-time victory over the Blue Raiders and its largest win over its rival since an 80-48 win on Jan. 7, 2006. The 31-point margin of victory was WKU's largest win in a conference tournament in program history."

Thanks Mcdevitt...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT