ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS CUSA eyeing new Cowboys practice facility as possible home for hoops tournaments

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
excerpt:

In true Dallas Cowboys style, "The Star in Frisco" is 91 acres of spare-no-expense opulence – a $1.5 billion complex that contains the team’s corporate headquarters, two practice fields, a 12,000-seat indoor football stadium with interior and exterior video boards and an entertainment district with restaurants, shops and a hotel.

Could it be the site of the 2018 Conference USA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments? A vote by athletic directors later this month will decide.

What the Cowboys’ facility lacks in proximity – at least for many of the league’s schools and their fans – it makes up for in novelty and in “wow” factor, one advocate said. It’s an outside-the-box option for a conference trying to create excitement surrounding its tournaments.

Although it’s located about 40 minutes from the University of North Texas, the Cowboys’ facility would also be a more neutral site than either Birmingham or El Paso, which also hosted the tournament in 2011.

Both UAB and UTEP used separate arenas for the men’s and women’s games through the first two rounds. The Cowboys’ facility could be configured to put two courts on the playing field, according to a source with knowledge of the proposal.

An announcement could be made before the conference’s spring meetings in Destin, Fla., on May 22-24. The selection of the athletic directors is subject to approval by conference presidents.

It’s unclear whether the conference will award bids for just 2018 or additional years. C-USA commissioner Judy McLeod said in March that one site or multiple sites could be announced for as many as three years.

Oh yeah, the CUSA leadership would likely go for this. Makes perfect sense. The worst freaking basketball, outside of those two programs in south florida in the conference is played in the west. Lets move the tournament away from the programs who support their basketball programs like the sport actually means something and who have fans who can likely attend. Let's get this done because a few conference officials can sleep in their own beds at night.

There needs to be an 'airport meeting' of eastern conference ADs/Presidents and see if the dead weight can sloughed off and we can have a leadership that actually knows what the hell they are doing.

Oh yeah, the CUSA leadership would likely go for this. Makes perfect sense. The worst freaking basketball, outside of those two programs in south florida in the conference is played in the west. Lets move the tournament away from the programs who support their basketball programs like the sport actually means something and who have fans who can likely attend. Let's get this done because a few conference officials can sleep in their own beds at night.

There needs to be an 'airport meeting' of eastern conference ADs/Presidents and see if the dead weight can sloughed off and we can have a leadership that actually knows what the hell they are doing.
The conference foot print is too large. I'm ready for something more compact.

The conference foot print is too large. I'm ready for something more compact.

So much for going to the BB tournament next year. That cuts out a lot of people from schools with the largest fan base Middle and Western. Time to look at forming a new conference and dropping Texas and Florida schools. Need a road trip friendly conference.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Since we have been a member of CUSA, I haven't been too impressed with the leadership or their decisions. If this move is made, I cannot see ODU, Marshall, WKU, UAB, or us being on board with this.

Wonder what Massaro thinks of this?

c-usa-commissioner-judy-macleod-sitting-in-a-kids-jeep-before-8210228.png

Just another paid vacation for Pres., AD's and all the big wig's. Just forget about the lowly fans that can't take off for a two day road trip there, the tournament then two day road trip back. If this is pulled off it just show's the conference could care less about the fans because the majority of the schools are in the east and farther away than us.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'll say this after having spent all last week in Frisco for work...it is a great town. Plenty to do and great food!

Doesn't matter where they have it, attendance will still suck. Just look at the regular season attendance numbers for each team.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
This particular wku beat reporter thinks the fix is in:
http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/BISHOP--Familiarize-yourself-with-Frisco-421623944.html
Familiarize yourself with Frisco

...Two weeks from today the higher-ups of Conference USA will convene for their annual spring meeting in Destin, Fla. On the docket will be a vote as to where to hold the 2018 men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

And methinks Frisco has the upper hand in that vote.

The league will consider Birmingham – where the event has been held the past three seasons – and El Paso – where the event was played in 2014 and 2011. Frisco seems to be the wildcard of that trio, seeing as it’s not home to a member institution, but I was told all the way back in March that location was gaining momentum.

Now where there’s smoke, fire usually follows, and both the Virginian-Pilot and the Denton Record-Chronicle have reports out on the subject.

So why not go ahead and prepare thyself for the inevitable news that all of Conference USA will enjoy a week in this Texas town of about 164,000 people? .....

Just another paid vacation for Pres., AD's and all the big wig's. Just forget about the lowly fans that can't take off for a two day road trip there, the tournament then two day road trip back. If this is pulled off it just show's the conference could care less about the fans because the majority of the schools are in the east and farther away than us.

THIS.

What was the attendance in El Paso like compared to Birmingham. Can't see many everyday fans making that road trip or even to Frisco. Mostly University admin. and maybe players families with alumni from schools in the tournament that are living in the area maybe. Good for people flying on the tax payers dime but not for everyday fan.

My wife and I actually made the trip to El Paso in 2014. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, that was before our kids were teenagers and into travel sports which is time consuming and money hungry. In fact, the travel sports have greatly reduced our ability to come to many MT events. We still maintain season tickets for football and both basketball programs but can't make any away football games and actually very few basketball games the last couple seasons. The contingent was definitely smaller than at Birmingham but you would be surprised at the number of fans from MT that made the El Paso championships. We had one of the largest crowds outside of UTEP obviously.

Frisco, and DFW, actually have a surprisingly large number of MT Grads in the area, due primarily to the Southwest and American Airlines hubs being located here. It doesn't seem like Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Greenville, Mobile, New Orleans, or any of the other major cities care anything about hosting this tournament.

You are probably right about the other cities. Who knows. Maybe it will work.

IMO, for me, this is a realization that our conference is a little too spread out. I can't fault the CUSA admin for landing a desirable destination but a more compact footprint would help. I think the SunBelt is beating us there.

Frisco, and DFW, actually have a surprisingly large number of MT Grads in the area, due primarily to the Southwest and American Airlines hubs being located here. It doesn't seem like Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Greenville, Mobile, New Orleans, or any of the other major cities care anything about hosting this tournament.

JohnDavidBlue, I agree. I'm quite concerned that the SunBelt is doing a better job in consolidating proximity and better performers than the "media market" C-USA that was so turned on by FxU.

One area where Massaro has spoken openly about is G5 conferences being more pragmatic and coming together to rearrange the conferences to make the best geographical fits for all. It would benefit travel costs. Help fans travel and resultantly help attendance. I imagine it would help foster rivals if more conference opponents are closer to each other. As Massaro says, peoples' egos are the main impediment to this practical move.

It sure would be nice for MT to have a slate of conference games vs WKU, Marshall, UAB, Ga State, Ga Southern, Appy St, Charlotte, etc. Sadly, I don't know how MT could shake FxU. The FxU schools aren't going to align with Western schools, nor are they going to align with mostly northern schools. Likely schools generally in the southeast.

Isn't Coastal Carolina set to join the SunBelt?

Is UNC-Wilmington looking to make a move up?

I know Liberty University recently announced they are moving up over the next couple of years. As usual, they reported being in discussions with some conferences about joining in the next couple/few years. While they may not have a big history of high performance, they do seem to have a fairly dedicated community and administration that has traditionally been really supportive of their athletics.

Lots of people have been looking for JMU to make a move up since they are incredibly successful in FCS, and JMU pretty much already has G5 football facilities and attendance. Other sports they are lacking, specifically basketball. JMU basketball performance and facilities look pretty bad. For various and unknown reasons, JMU shows a reticence to move up to FBS.

Next For Ford Center At The Star: Men’s & Women’s C-USA Basketball Tourneys
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:35 PM CDT

FRISCO, Texas – Already established as a versatile multi-purpose venue, Ford Center at The Star in Frisco is now home to a major college basketball event: The 2018 and 2019 Conference USA Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships.

The event is in partnership with the University of North Texas, the Dallas Cowboys and Visit Frisco. Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research at The Star will be the presenting sponsor of the 2018 Conference USA Basketball Championships scheduled for March 7-10, C-USA announced.

“We will have 22 games under one roof with automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament for the both the men’s and women’s programs on the line,” said Judy MacLeod, C-USA Commissioner. “We’re excited to get started.

“This unique setting within an outstanding venue and a thriving area will truly add to the championship experience of our student-athletes and fans."
cusa_thumb.jpg

Said Jerry Jones, Jr., Cowboys Chief Sales and Marketing Officer: “We are always looking to bring new experiences to student-athletes, their families and fans with our state-of-the-art facilities. Conference USA’s basketball tournament is a great opportunity to showcase the versatility of Ford Center as well as what The Star and the City of Frisco have to offer.”

Last summer the Cowboys opened Ford Center at the Star – its new 12,000-seat, 510,000-square foot indoor athletic facility – with a much greater creative vision than simply a practice venue for America’s Team. It’s shared with the City of Frisco and Frisco ISD’s high schools – a partnership that makes the Cowboys the first and only NFL team to share a training facility with a public high school athletic program at Ford Center.

A variety of sports and entertainment events have been and will be held at Ford Center, including track & field and lacrosse competition, Texas Tech’s spring football game this past April, and James Taylor & His All-Star Band performing on July 31.

Now Ford Center is an attractive home for Conference USA basketball.

The Cowboys wanted the venue to be about sports performance as well as health and wellness. “To do that, you had to build a world-class facility,” Jerry Jones, Jr. said. “With the help of the City of Frisco and the help of many partners, we built what I think is a world-class facility – and when you build a world-class facility you attract world-class partners.”

“As we look to spring 2018 to open Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research, we’re thrilled to be part of these tournaments,” said LaVone Arthur, Chief Integration Officer and Senior Vice President of Business Development, Baylor Scott & White Health. “The facility will neighbor Ford Center where these games take place, and will work to keep athletes healthy and playing at their highest levels.”

Based in Irving, Conference USA has a large alumni base in the North Texas area: 120,000 University of North Texas alumni in four counties and another 25,000 from the other 13 schools, according to the conference.

Tuesday’s announcement happened to be on Maher Maso’s final day in office as Mayor of Frisco. Mayor Maso was a major part of the Cowboys’ vision for partnering with the city and creating a destination for athletics at all levels, including college.

“Frisco is a great location for these games because our community is active, collaborative and sport-centric,” Mayor Maso said. “We’re also a fast growing community and extremely proud of the world-class facilities we have available to host events such as this. Hosting the Conference USA Men's & Women's Basketball Championships enhances our reputation as a tourist and sports destination while providing entertainment and economic benefits for our residents.”

Ticket information will be announced this fall and more information is available at www.ConferenceUSA.com

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I would like to know what the eastern schools think of this. I am not necessarily opposed to this and I am ok that it isn't in Bham any longer. $300 round trip from BNA to Dallas.

There is no perfect place for CUSA...either way, someone will have to get on a plane. Its been in B'Ham for a few years, I don't see a problem here - its as cheap to fly to Dallas as anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT