ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CUSA Basketball Preview. Click the link and Scroll, Scroll, keep scrolling, keep scrolling, all the way to the bottom of the page...

Awesome, Space. Can you imagine if he dug a little deeper in here and found a couple of choice nuggets left by MT01 (I still miss him) or by Wiley after one of CNM’s signature terrible 2nd half collapses? 😂😂
Someone needs to email this article to Massaro and our SID.

"This is almost all in stark contrast to McDevitt’s time at UNC Asheville, where he won consistently with aggressive defenses and impressive (for the Big South) offenses, often flush with outside shooting. Repairing the Blue Raiders will require an “inside-out” approach, though, as they were dominated in the paint last year. They ranked 338th nationally in 2P% on offense (43.1%) and 326th on defense (55.5%), a stunning disparity of -12.4% that was better than just seven other teams nationally – in the vicinity of such luminaries as Mississippi Valley St., Chicago St., and Portland. "

The absolutely pathetic performance of the Blue Raiders has been so bad, it smells intentional.

"They ranked 338th nationally in 2P% on offense (43.1%) and 326th on defense (55.5%), a stunning disparity of -12.4% that was better than just seven other teams nationally – in the vicinity of such luminaries as Mississippi Valley St., Chicago St., and Portland."

Holy mother.....I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

Whole operation needs a complete turnover or just completely shut down. Why even have a program if it's that bad?

"This is almost all in stark contrast to McDevitt’s time at UNC Asheville, where he won consistently with aggressive defenses and impressive (for the Big South) offenses, often flush with outside shooting. Repairing the Blue Raiders will require an “inside-out” approach, though, as they were dominated in the paint last year. They ranked 338th nationally in 2P% on offense (43.1%) and 326th on defense (55.5%), a stunning disparity of -12.4% that was better than just seven other teams nationally – in the vicinity of such luminaries as Mississippi Valley St., Chicago St., and Portland. "

The absolutely pathetic performance of the Blue Raiders has been so bad, it smells intentional.

You beat me to it....I was just reading that too and was appalled. When we are being grouped with MVSU, Chicago St, et al.....I actually don't even know what to say. There is not a word in the dictionary to describe that level of bad.

If MT is mired all season in last place in this coach's 4th season as projected in this preview and the coach is not relieved before the end of the season all hope is lost.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Has any other team gone from a Top 25 ranking to No. 272 in five years?

Honestly, I doubt it. It takes a special kind of bad to be ranked 200+ in the RPI, much less 272 almost to 300 rank.

Such a sad state of affairs. Makes you wonder what is going through Massaro's mind and how he justifies keeping McDevitt around. Has Massaro said anything on record regarding McDevitt's performance?

Honestly, I doubt it. It takes a special kind of bad to be ranked 200+ in the RPI, much less 272 almost to 300 rank.

Such a sad state of affairs. Makes you wonder what is going through Massaro's mind and how he justifies keeping McDevitt around. Has Massaro said anything on record regarding McDevitt's performance?
He never responded to my email. 😂

another preview, the key excerpt:

Conference USA Basketball ‘BET AGAINST’ Team​

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders – So many of these Conference USA teams are either really good or have upside that I had to go all the way to the bottom of the conference to find a “bet against” team entering the season. Middle Tennessee State being bad this season isn’t groundbreaking info as the Blue Raiders will be at the bottom of most preseason Conference USA projections, it’s how bad MTSU is that creates some value (most likely laying) the number to bet against them.

There’s still some name recognition here as it was only a few years ago Middle Tennessee State upset Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament and followed it up by winning Conference USA with a 16-2 record and getting snubbed from the NCAA Tournament (went to the NIT) the following year. That was the year Kermit Davis left to take the Ole Miss job and since it’s been Nick McDevitt who had a good run at UNC Asheville but has been a disaster in Murfreesboro. Middle Tennessee State has gotten progressively worse each year under McDevitt and he will rely heavily on Green Bay transfer Josh Jefferson to make MTSU respectable this year. Jefferson was a nice player at Green Bay but C-USA is a lot better than the Horizon and I don’t see Jefferson thriving with the group of misfits he will be surrounded by here. Jalen Jordan can play, which makes the Jefferson/Jordan backcourt tandem serviceable, but there’s just no one else on this Middle Tennessee roster that’s very good. Middle Tennessee State doesn’t have a single legitimate scoring option in the frontcourt returning so it’s going to be up to three JUCO transfers and a freshman to break into the Middle Tennessee State lineup and be an unsung hero for this Blue Raiders team. I just don’t see it, I fully expect MTSU to finish last in this conference but I don’t think the oddsmakers (at least at first) will have MTSU power rated as low as they should be. MTSU is a horrendous team, I don’t see where the wins come from for the Blue Raiders in CUSA play and as long as the numbers stay reasonable I expect MTSU to be a profitable fade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT