Cruz: Drafting women is "nuts"

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010

Ted Cruz has two daughters. | AP Photo

Cruz: Drafting women is "nuts"
By Katie Glueck

02/07/16 02:35 PM EST

PETERBOROUGH, N.H.—Ted Cruz on Sunday said he opposes requiring women to register for a potential draft, breaking with Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie, all of whom indicated support for opening up the Selective Service to women during Saturday night's debate.

“I have to admit, as I was sitting there listening to that conversation, my reaction was, ‘Are you guys nuts?’” Cruz said Sunday, speaking at a town hall here. “Listen, we have had enough with political correctness, especially in the military. Political correctness is dangerous. And the idea that we would draft our daughters to forcibly bring them into the military and put them in close combat, I think is wrong, it is immoral, and if I am president, we ain’t doing it.”

To applause, Cruz went on to note that he is a father to two daughters, and he wants them to follow their dreams.

“But the idea that their government would forcibly put them in a foxhole with a 220-pound psychopath trying to kill them doesn’t make any sense at all,” he said.

The previous night, at the presidential debate, Rubio said he had no problem with women in combat, and added, “I do believe Selective Service should be opened up for both men and women in the case a draft is ever instituted."

Drafting our young men and forcing them into combat is immoral too, but we do it. Women can do their share and do it well.

As a veteran, I am against a draft unless it is absolutely necessary. If women want to serve in the Armed Services that is their decision but women should never be drafted in the military.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
I don't think it's nuts. Look at Todd...He's afraid of women because they "manipulate people" and men don't, men manipulate the things around them (like chairs and rocks). If they can scare Todd, I bet they will be excellent in combat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT