ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Craziest/worst conditions you’ve been in for a game?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
I froze my butt off for a week night Marshall game, forget which year. It was 60’s earlier in the day and the temp dropped dramatically and I had shorts on

2013 Marshall game. Oct 24. Night, easily single digit wind chills. Raider Tees was running Lightning's Locker Room at the time and sold out of gloves and blankets. Still take rainy weekend naps with that blanket. Haha.

With the last second TD I can barely be seen on screen jumping up, with my wife and daughter huddled together under the blanket. I'm lucky I didn't have to find my own ride back to WV after that. She laid down the law of no more under 50 games for her.

Marshall at Floyd was so cold, we were flagging the vendors in the stands for hot chocolates, every quarter.

Coldest away game was when MT played at Boise State in December, back in the 1AA playoff days.

Reactions: mtfblue
Marshall a couple years ago at home. Absolutely downpoured the entire game and our group was pretty much the only people there. Such a fun game.

Reactions: MTTim
‘84 Liberty Bowl.
Boston College and Notre Dame.
Coldest I’ve ever been at a football game.
I was there with buddies and left at halftime. It was so cold my eyes would water then turn to ice. A friend had a hospitality room across the street at the old Airways diner. It was warm, plenty of food and beverage. Somehow they were able to get the game on TV.
The most miserable was the Marshall game where it rained buckets. My group stayed until the end. What a bunch of idiots.

I think the hottest game Ive been to is still at Purdue.
I was at that game too. Definitely the hottest game I've ever attended. The concession stand ran out of ice. Wouldn't have been as bad if we could have held on for the win at the end. ...

Purdue was crazy hot! Concessions ran out of ice . Utah St. Was coldest game I've Sat through. Rain, I think it was Marshall one year sat in a steady downpour.

I have four

@Maryland 2006. Crazy hot early September in Maryland, tailgating was all asphalt.

@WKU 2008, 40ish degrees drizzling, high winds. Two of my professors(married), who were very outspoken in support of Blue Raider athletics but were primarily in attendance to support their son who was in the Band of Blue thankfully left after halftime and gave me a poncho and gloves, I might have underdressed...

Mississippi State at JRF 2009. Was set to be a mid afternoon kick and got flexed to noon EST kickoff for TV, was "late" to the tailgate at 7:45am, high 30s and sleeting(I can still remember having lost partial feeling in my feet walking out of the stadium).

New Orleans Bowl 2009, my girlfriend at the time went from totally normal to incoherent mess on one Pat O's Hurricane on the walk over. I think she might remember bits of the 2nd half.

• Haha
Reactions: ewglenn
Marshall game was rough, but to be different.. FIU game 3 or 4 years back. Raining as hard as I’ve ever seen mixed with a lightning delay. By the end of the game I could just about count the fans in the stadium on my fingers

Reactions: ewglenn
If we are talking any game, I'll go 2010 Oregon @ Tennessee. Freaking monsoon that had the game delayed like 2 hours.

Hottest for me

9/1/2011
Miss St. at Memphis
98 degrees during afternoon tailgate.
You could fry an egg on Tiger Lane pavement
94 degrees at 7:00pm kickoff.

Last edited:
This is my answer. I was wearing a pair of Chuck Taylor’s that provided zero water protection and I still don’t think my feet have fully thawed out. Truly miserable conditions.
@WKU 2008, 40ish degrees drizzling, high winds. Two of my professors(married), who were very outspoken in support of Blue Raider athletics but were primarily in attendance to support their son who was in the Band of Blue thankfully left after halftime and gave me a poncho and gloves, I might have underdressed...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT