ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Cowherd

I don't know much about University of Phoenix except I used to see their "Regionally Accredited" ads all over the place at one time. I do find the prospect of open source education and business model universities intriguing from a competition standpoint.

Unless you are getting a professional degree, the sheepskin students receive vs the debt that they incur is not worth it. I remember writing my own tuition checks after working 30-40 hour work weeks at just over minimum wage. That is impossible for young people to do these days and I think that is unfortunate.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Strongly disagree here. College athletics is a VALUABLE part of the college experience, campus, and community. To give a couple of quick points in response:
1) Quick (and without Google) : Name a regionally accredited four-year college without an athletic department
2) There is a reason the Ivy League schools play varsity athletics. They see value. When managed correctly, intercollegiate athletics build a stronger collegiate community, foster collegiate pride, and (potentially) provide free advertising
3) Competition. The reputation of an institution and bragging rights are on the line every Saturday in the fall.

Athletics are the front door to Universities (minus harvard, etc.). This is how people see into a university. Look at what Florida Golf Coast did a few years ago in basketball. Their applications for admission when up like crazy after their run in the big dance.

Athletics are the front door to Universities (minus harvard, etc.). This is how people see into a university. Look at what Florida Golf Coast did a few years ago in basketball. Their applications for admission when up like crazy after their run in the big dance.
Exactly. Same could be said for George Mason a few years earlier. Boise State is another school that has effectively used athletics as a "front-porch."

Even a "name-brand school" like Alabama has seen increases in enrollment while the admissions office is rejecting more applications. Endowment is up significantly, faculty positions have increased, and other academic considerations have improved since Saban arrived several years ago.

Now, who will be the next Boise State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT