ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Cowherd

Unfortunately, talk broadcasting has went the way of hiring professional trolls to rustle people's jimmies in order to attract web page clicks to sell advertisements as well as revenue sharing from youtube. Best thing to do is ignore people like him.

Just why was MT the example used for all %$&-major program on this (refrain from using words I would like to use) show?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Meh. I enjoyed his show when it was on. He and Clay Travis are cut from the same cloth. I don't always agree but he is what he is. Shock jock that is mildly entertaining. Take it with a grain of salt.

Just why was MT the example used for all %$&-major program on this (refrain from using words I would like to use) show?
Because the caller mentioned MT. I am not a fan of Cowherd but I will say I think his rant was aimed more at all schools like ours, it just happens that the caller mentioned us. replace with any number of teams such as UAB, Marshall, WKU, or any other CUSA or SUn Belt school and his response would have been the exact same

One reason is the caller used it. Regardless of why the caller used, the mouth full that the entire name is, just plays into a cowherd's agenda of pandering to P5 schools. Thank God, we don't have a hyphen in all that mess of syllables. Change the Damn Name.

I don't think he's on in Nashville anymore after he left the mothership. From what I hear, he's gonna be unemployed soon. Their ratings are plummeting. I wish the caller would have used WKU's name instead or Arkansas St. I hate our name so much right now. :)

"Change the damn name" - I was thinking the same thing as I was listening.

Did the caller use MT because he was sympathetic to smaller schools (and athletes in less visible sports) or was he apparently an elitist like Cowherd who only cares about the top 50-60 FB and BkB programs?

I think it is ironic that he is bashing the "small schools" but doesn't the company he works for have the CUSA TV contract?

"Change the damn name" - I was thinking the same thing as I was listening.

I just came on here to post the exact same thing.

It's the most directional non-descript "who the heck are they" state u name in college football. Blah, blah blah blah state U. We're an easy target because our name is the epitome of generic direction state U.

I try to refrain from harping on the name change matter around here because most have heard it from me already on numerous occasions. With that qualifier out of the way:

Change the FREAKING NAME!!!

The univ's name is the epitome of everything that is wrong with a univ name and branding. Not only is it directional, it is way too long. Is it any surprise that a media person from the west coast would make references to Middle Tennessee State University and truck driving school?!

Again, people uniting and pulling politically for a name change just might find the conditions somewhat favorable since the overall governance of the university is undergoing legislative change. The one political hack leading TBR just stepped down. The leader of the group that has been leading in holding MT back.

This is the kind of crap I'm tired of having to fight because so called leadership and the univ community are generally clueless or just don't care. MT would fight this battle on some level simply because we are not UT, but why do we want to give others ammo to use against us in this fight?

Maybe I need to write Pres McPhee all of this is stressing and offending me and I need the university to provide me a safe place and trigger warnings over this stressful and offensive matter. (yes extreme sarcasm) Since censorship, speech, and thought control are the trendy and fashionable thing on campuses around the country so as to not offend anyone, I propose Middle Tennessee State University and MTSU as additions to words and phrases to be prohibited since they so strongly offend me. Middle Tennessee State University and MTSU should be part of the forbidden words and phrases in the campus speech code. (yes more sarcasm)

Middle Tennessee State University and MTSU = painting a huge target on our back that says ridicule us and/or have terrible first impression misconception of MTSU Truck Driving School and Community College since we are so freaking dumb

Or how's this to go along for our univ name:

MTSUTDSCC = Middle Tennessee State University Truck Driving School and Community College

I don't see any problem with that.

I actually understand Cowherd's argument. We, on the message boards who follow this school, come from more of a contrarian perspective. I am not even saying I agree totally with his position.

However, he has the shock jock approach and that stinks.

At the end of the day:
1) Do we matter in football? Would the nation notice if we dropped it? - right now, my answer is no.
2) Do we have to play 2 body bag games a year for support? - yeah, we do.
3) Do the points 1 and 2 make his argument valid? - no, it doesn't

However, the older I get the more I realize that more would go further in the classroom than spending on sports. I have changed to "if you can't support it without a huge amount of help, you probably don't need it". Our stuff, and other smaller programs, are heavily subsidized.

The number one priority for CM should be to make our brand the best. We are not good in bettering our brand in several areas.

1. name
  2. coaches in community
  3. wins / losses
  4. conference championships

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiderclyde
support from the North Texas radio Play by Play guy:

Hey, I like that. BTW, I agree with his Giddy and Upshaw assessment. Admittedly, Giddy may pass Upshaw in best overall player. It seems overall, Upshaw has been the best overall player.

It's kind of nice seeing our conf brethren stick up for us. Good on em.

I actually understand Cowherd's argument. We, on the message boards who follow this school, come from more of a contrarian perspective. I am not even saying I agree totally with his position.

At the end of the day:
1) Do we matter in football? Would the nation notice if we dropped it? - right now, my answer is no.

However, the older I get the more I realize that more would go further in the classroom than spending on sports. I have changed to "if you can't support it without a huge amount of help, you probably don't need it". Our stuff, and other smaller programs, are heavily subsidized.

The number one priority for CM should be to make our brand the best. We are not good in bettering our brand in several areas.

1. name
  2. coaches in community
  3. wins / losses

I would generally agree if this were a straight up capitalistic situation, but it is not. It's all about Title IX. That is where the money goes. Most schools would be in the clear if it were only football and basketball. Some schools like here in TN would be financially self supporting in women's bball. Since federal law mandates where money is spent, I don't think it is accurate to make this straight up capitalistic argument regarding self supporting athletics.

Regarding role of sports and education, this is an ongoing debate for the past 130 years for higher ed here in America. Our present circumstance is the result of the push and pull of this public debate over the last 130 years. Of related interest, I'm currently reading a book on just this subject. It's written by a MTSU history professor no less. The Rise Of Gridiron University: Higher Education's Uneasy Alliance with Big-Time Football. So far, I would recommend it. The book really informs on our current circumstance and how we arrived here.

At the end of the day:

1. name
  2. coaches in community
  3. wins / losses

Also, I don't think your argument holds up as we have a modern day example right here in our region in our conference rival, UAB. UAB became one of the sports world's darling causes. UAB had outrage at dumping football, and tons of support locally. The support spread throughout the country and even in sports media. So if cowturd wants to see what happens if a program such as ours disappears, look no further than UAB to see just how wrong he really is. I'd also argue that MT in football has even been far more successful in football than UAB had been. I'd think even more outrage then resultant widespread support for reinstatement.

Strongly disagree here. College athletics is a VALUABLE part of the college experience, campus, and community. To give a couple of quick points in response:
1) Quick (and without Google) : Name a regionally accredited four-year college without an athletic department
2) There is a reason the Ivy League schools play varsity athletics. They see value. When managed correctly, intercollegiate athletics build a stronger collegiate community, foster collegiate pride, and (potentially) provide free advertising
3) Competition. The reputation of an institution and bragging rights are on the line every Saturday in the fall.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Great arguments.

"I'll take University of Phoenix for 500 Alex".

I get the pride aspect. I get the bragging rights. But I want to share that with more than 5k other people on Saturdays. If we can't pull it then we need to fix it.

I think if I didn't see the exponential cost of tuition alongside of the cold war of college athletics, I wouldn't care. However, that is another discussion altogether. Realistically, our brand needs a lot of work. We just have a poor image.

Great arguments.

"I'll take University of Phoenix for 500 Alex".

I get the pride aspect. I get the bragging rights. But I want to share that with more than 5k other people on Saturdays. If we can't pull it then we need to fix it.

I think if I didn't see the exponential cost of tuition alongside of the cold war of college athletics, I wouldn't care. However, that is another discussion altogether. Realistically, our brand needs a lot of work. We just have a poor image.
good call. Perhaps I should have added the caveat of reputable academic institution. U of Phoenix is a joke, but they are RA

U of Phoenix is a joke indeed but are very, very profitable joke at that. They could fund and field an NFL team if the league would allow the expansion.

barely RA, apparently they were on double secret probation or something w/ their accrediting agency. U of Phoenix is just wrong Alex Trebek. Is ITT Tech going to be the next answer?

BTW, U of Phoenix has been riding the gravy train at the taxpayers' expense. Pretty corrupt IMO. Bring in as many people as possible. No money to pay? Don't worry about it, student loans. Then their sorry business model has people dropping out at a rate not seen hardly anywhere by students who now have tremendous student loan debt with no better prospects for paying them back than when they started at U of Phoenix. The people can't pay, so guess who picks up the student loan debt? Yep, taxpayers through gov't guaranteed loans. U of Phoenix keeps profits w/ no responsibility. They barely made any effort beyond ads and signing people on the dotted line to support or help people succeed as students. IMO, likely corrupt. At least morally and ethically compromised.

So, Alex Trebek, No Go!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT